X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wozza
    • Jan 2005

Panasonic AE700 Vs Sony VPL-HS20

They both appear to be good Projectors.. But I don't know which is better. Can any of your "Projector People" provide any insite into this? I'm looking at spending not much more than £1500 on a projector, althought I do really like the Sony VPL-HS50, and am tempted to go for that... I'd be looking at ~92" screen. I could live with smaller though!

While I've got your attention, where is the best place to buy a projector screen from? Best projector screens etc... Also, any links to good reading material you can provide would be a great help, as I don't really know squat about Projection!

Cheers, Will.
    wozza
    http://www.ph34r.me.uk/
    Ph34r Is Everything
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

The 700 is a generation newer than the HS20. I would get that if you can't swing the new HS50.

My friend has an HS20, and while it is very nice, it is somewhat dim for my tastes. My friend has a larger screen than you are contemplating though, I believe a 106".

I have not seen the AE700, but have seen the AE500. From the many reports I have read, it is a very nice improvement in both contrast and to a lesser degree, smoothness over the 500, which I would put close to on par with the HS20.

Any reason you have ruled out DLP?

BB

Comment

• austriacus
      • Jan 2005

The Panasonic 700 is quite good, the only problem seems to be some banding.
      Comparable is also the Sanyo Z3 (little bit more expensive), the Sony Cineza 50 is the up-to-date model. Thorough tests exactly for these models you can find (unfortunately not in english, but its technical stuff anyway) under cine4home.de. A DLP model recently announced with a HD2+ Chip is the Sharp XV-Z2000 whith a price expected around 4k$, very competitive price for this Chip but I do not know if they have saved the money somewhere else and if this is in your budget.

Regards

Felix Primetzhofer

Comment

• wozza
        • Jan 2005

Thanks for the help guys! I didn't purposely rule out DLP, i just didn't know the difference!

I'e done a bit more research, and am starting to lean towards the Sony VPL-HS50, has some great features, and a snazzy design... Still plenty of reading to go thought.. Will go investigate the aforementioned Projectors now.

Thanks again!
        wozza
        http://www.ph34r.me.uk/
        Ph34r Is Everything

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Friend just received his HS51 (U.S. model designation I guess) and the red panel was off by nearly one full pixel width.

Make sure you have an agreement with your seller about things like this before you buy. He is waiting to find out if they will exchange it.

BB

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"