X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maseline_98
    • Apr 2005

Projector for outdoor use?

I'm looking for an entry level projector for outdoor. This is more of a toy than anything and doesn't not need to be anything special. It will not be permanently out there. It's just something that I could take out when a bunch of people are over to play rock band or watch a game or something. It will primarily be used for nightly use, but a "home tailgate" might not be out of the question. Budget for the projector and screen is less than 1K. Would consider buying used/refurb if the bulb is newer...

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
    Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

• Jan 2006

I would look for a used panasonic PT-Ae900u or similar 720p projector. Seen them on ebay for around 500.00 give or take. Bulb is usually the questionable thing here. I just got a bulb for my PLV-Z5 for 148.00 shipped won it on ebay.
    Don't know how good they are but here is a Screen

And another one

No fans on that one but it's smaller.

I've wanted to do something similar but where I always get hung up is the audio portion. Hell taking the projector out there isn't a problem at all, you can even shoot it on the side of the house or back of the garage. It's getting sound that seems like a pain for me anyway.

Comment

• M.Roberts8
      • Jan 2006

FWIW if you have a place to mount a proper screen(under an eave maybe). You hang the screen when you need it and store it in the garage whenyou aren't using it.
      I got my elite manual pull down for under 120.00 shipped.

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

I've used a couple projectors for movie parties and playing video games outside.

I've tried an XGA projector before, and it works fine for movies and simple games, but 720p or better resolution is easily within your budget, and they look visibly better with the video blown up big outdoors. :T

I've projected on a white garage wall and also on a bed sheet before, and both options worked surprisingly well considering. Some things to think about are getting electricity out there, making sure that you have a stable surface for the projector (read not on a teetering ladder), and that the projector, speakers and power are away from moisture.

Lastly, you might want to prepare for bugs. I taped an extra screen mesh over the projector's fan input grill, and I let the bed sheet set out until the next day to clear off the bugs that were attracted to the projected light.

This would be a singular consideration if you used a roll-up screen outdoors, because even inside I've seen more than one retractable screen ruined by having bugs rolled up in the screen after watching a movie at night.

Still, outside movie watching is great fun and well worth the extra setup efforts!

Comment

• D-Invisible Man
          • Jun 2010

Sharp and Optoma both have 3500-4000 lumen 1280x768 Light Cannons that are excellent "under 1k" PJs. Spandex, or Rosebrand Black Out Cloth can round out the equation and provide you with a Screen at least 200" diagonal.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"