X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sony black screen

Anyone have more info on this new screen from Sony?

Here's all I could find on it so far.

Sony introduces black projector screen for well-lit up areas
    Posted by Sean Byrne on 24 June 2004 - 00:49

When Thomas Edison first invented the projector over 100 years back, the setup consisted of a reel-to-reel projector and a white screen. In the 1970's the TV projector came out consisting of large cathode-ray tubes, then small lightweight LCD projectors in the 1990's and now DLP projectors promising high brightness & high contrast-ratio pictures. However no matter how much projector technology has changed, they all suffered one major drawback - very poor contrast and colour rendering in a brightly lit room.
    One attempt to solve the problem was the introduction of gray screens to reduce reflected ambient light. While gray screens became very popular, these tended to result in reduced brightness. Now Sony has developed a black screen that works on defiance of colour theory, by reflecting only pure red, green and blue light and absorbing other colours of light including ambient light from fluorescent tubes, light bulbs and other sources of light. Since digital projectors produce pictures using only a combination of red, green and blue light, the result is a high contrast vivid picture where blacks look 'blacker' and colours look more realistic in a well-lit room much like that from a conventional white screen in a dark room.
    Sony done a presentation at the Infocomm trade show inAtlanta and the setup attracted more people than any other technology there. So far Sony has not decided on pricing or shipping dates. Sony's black screen should work with all digital chip projectors that build the picture using red, green and blue light. In TV technology, everything is changing fast. Fat tubes are being replaced by flat screens, square screens by movie-style rectangles and standard pictures by high definition. And now, white projection screens are being challenged by dark ones.
    In apparent defiance of color theory -- that dark surfaces absorb light and white surfaces reflect it -- Sony Corp. has unveiled a black screen that allows a regular digital projector to vividly display TV images and business presentations in a brightly lit room. It continues a trend that began two years ago when Stewart Filmscreen Corp., a leading U.S. maker of screens, began selling a light-gray screen that enhanced the images from projectors using digital chips.
    Tokyo-based Sony showed a 160-inch-diagonal version of the screen last week at the Infocomm trade show in Atlanta, after showing 80- and 100-inch versions in a living-room mockup at an industry conference in Seattle three weeks ago. At both events, it made a splash.
    "No other technology attracted so many people to stand around and look at it and say 'Wow,' " Richard Doherty of Seaford, N.Y., consultants Envisioneering Group, says of the Seattle demonstration.
    Sony hasn't decided when to begin selling the screen, how to price it, where to sell it first or whether to let other manufacturers use the technology. Sony has both commercial and consumer versions of the screen in the works.

• Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

More info here on who really makes it.

It sounds really cool but I wonder how much of a benefit it will have in a light controled room such as mine?

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Well, if your room is so dark that you can't see the white part of the screen when the PJ isn't illuminating it, then it probably won't benefit you. But I can see a screen like this giving you better blacks, even in a fairly well light-controlled room. Consider that even if your room is pitch dark, the projector is producing light and some of that spills onto the walls, etc.

One thing I have to wonder though... if the screen only reflects red, green, and blue, ambient light (esp. sunlight) contains these colors as well, so you would still get some washout from ambient light. You'd still need some light control. In a conference room, where you want the lights up but the screen still watchable, this screen would work great.

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
        More info here on who really makes it.
        That is a different product and that is a composite photo, not reality. Sony makes the Sony screen, and the picture shown is pretty representative of what was seen earlier in the year at the show where it debuted.

And the problems Kevin points out are exactly correct. In fact, beyond that, this screen is purportedly designed for the 3 primaries output by the HS20, and if you PJ uses slightly different filters to achieve its 3 primaries, you will see diminished brightness with the screen. It may have to be "tuned" to a given optical engine/lamp.

BB

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Interesting info Brandon.

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
            • May 2003

I think i read somewhere that screens over 42" have seams in them.

"...Because Good is Dumb...!"
            -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Yeah, the one pictured was supposely stitched together from 6 pieces.

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Aww, guess I'll just stick to my 1 gain Da-Lite.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

I guess there is one of these inn or around CEDIA, and one viewer was told next summer/$2K.

BB

Comment

• wkrasl
                    • Dec 2004

Is there any new information out yet on the Sony Black Screen? I've spent a few hours doing searches, including live chats with Sony and am getting nowhere. Perhaps someone can reply with upcoming trade show info?

Comment

• CJ Paul
                      • Oct 2004

I'm interested as well, however I fear it is going to be way out of my price range.

Comment

• wozza
                        • Jan 2005

this is definately interesting as I'm looking at buying a projector in the forseeable future!
                        wozza
                        http://www.ph34r.me.uk/
                        Ph34r Is Everything

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"