• Dec 2008

Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Edition

HI! Has anyone used this and how has been your experience? Thanks,
    Ray
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

ray5,

I have the disc. I haven't spent much time with it though. Just did a quick Black Level, Contrast, Color and clipping test with it. Understand that I did this with my projector, which has a bulb that's long in the tooth.

After adjusting all the basics, I ran through the clipping test. Indeed, it showed I was still clipping white and black levels. So, I of course readjusted to minimize the errors.

My projector is an entry level 720p Optoma so, no secret it doesn't do deep blacks. But I was a little shocked in the white level response. Anyway, after all was said and done, the picture is what matters. I first watched "Planet of the Apes" (remake). The presentation was very dim. I didn't get too concerned because as I previously stated, my bulb is old. Next I played "Iron Man". It looked very good. All the detail was there, and the black & white levels were solid.

With the limited use, I think it's a good disc. I also have the Ovation Calibration disc and the DVE HD-DVD disc too. They all are good, just different. All get the job done.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"