X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

My projector bulb is apparently in need of replacement

I have a Sony VPL-AW15 projector (and I have had no serious complaints in 2.5 years--a few very minor quibbles, but only because no display is perfect) and a few days ago (just as we had settled the kids into the HT for a family viewing of Up on BD), I turned on the projector, selected the PS3 for BD playback and the screen (brightly lit with proper colours) went dark. The projector showed a flashing LED sequence that, according to the manual, indicates I need to put in a new bulb. With only 1200 hours running on economy, I'm disappointed it needs to be replaced already (but I went into PJ ownership fully aware of the vagaries of bulb life expectancy--can't wait for decent (affordable) LED projectors), but I'm curious about one thing. If the bulb is truly in need of replacement, should it not fail to light up at all? If I fire it up, I get an image for about 10-15 seconds, and then it goes blank. I took it out and put it back in (having read on a few other fora that this could give me a few more hours while awaiting a replacement) but nothing changed. If it is still giving me a few seconds of good quality image before going blank, does that indicate that something other than the bulb is at fault? I don't mind buying another bulb (a TV the size of my screen would be about 10x more money) but I'd rather not do so if it is unlikely to solve my problem. Any thoughts?
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

It is probably drawing more current than it is supposed to once it gets up to temp, and the projector is shutting it down. I can't think of a way around that, so you'll probably need to buy a new one, unless someone else has a bright (har) idea.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Brandon B
      It is probably drawing more current than it is supposed to once it gets up to temp, and the projector is shutting it down. I can't think of a way around that, so you'll probably need to buy a new one, unless someone else has a bright (har) idea.
      Would this be a function of an aged lamp increasingly needing current to achieve a set level of brightness? (it's my first projector, so I know very little of how such things work)

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

Not so much to achieve brightness, but just to maintain an arc at all. The electrodes wear away over time, and you need more juice for the arc to bridge the gap.

BB

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Ah. Well, I've ordered a replacement (had to go overseas to get the best price--in Canada, the cheapest was nearly 500$ with taxes and shipment--this one is 309$, no taxes and shipping included). I will compare the lamps to see if there is a visible sign of worn electrodes (only superficially, though--I will not disassemble the lamps just to satisfy my curiosity). Of course, my two week window of personal vacation time for movie watching (I don't have to go back to work until 28 Jan and only need 4-5 days before that to prep the first few lectures) is severely compromised by this bulb failure. Would have been much less annoying in February when I'm super busy and can't watch much anyway.

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

I can tell you one thing you may "try", 1200 hours may just be the magical time amount of hours it tells you you need a new bulb. My Sanyo Z3 did a similar thing at like 2000 hours. But there is a big difference, I still had a screen, I just had an indicator flashing. Long story short, I reset it and told it it had a new bulb and probably have close to 4000 hours on this bulb now. I have a new bulb waiting, that's the best advice for anyone without a backup projector.

The best idea is to have dual projectors. I run one for daily stuff, and run one for HD content. (best machine) So, I have an almost new one sitting there for when my old Z3 does finally bite the dust.

I had 1 total failure with a Sanyo Z1 or Z2 I think it was, Actually, it was a Studio Experience model of it, forget model name, abandoned it. not worth repair. Went with Z3, then later Z2000 I think it is... I've been satisfied with Sanyo projectors overall.

If it's in budget, why not look at a good reasonably priced LCD unit to hold you over? No sense not being able to watch movies while your having your off time. Or even a LCD or plasma 46" or so, is only like 800 bucks now! I just put one over my fireplace, a Sony Bravia.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sharp 1080
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Ovation
              Ah. Well, I've ordered a replacement (had to go overseas to get the best price--in Canada, the cheapest was nearly 500$ with taxes and shipment--this one is 309$, no taxes and shipping included). I will compare the lamps to see if there is a visible sign of worn electrodes (only superficially, though--I will not disassemble the lamps just to satisfy my curiosity). Of course, my two week window of personal vacation time for movie watching (I don't have to go back to work until 28 Jan and only need 4-5 days before that to prep the first few lectures) is severely compromised by this bulb failure. Would have been much less annoying in February when I'm super busy and can't watch much anyway.

Did you check Electrified to see if they had a replacement? I eventually used them to replace my Infocus bulb. Great price considering the cost of past Infocus replacements for me at least. Enjoy your movie watching!

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Lex
                I can tell you one thing you may "try", 1200 hours may just be the magical time amount of hours it tells you you need a new bulb. My Sanyo Z3 did a similar thing at like 2000 hours. But there is a big difference, I still had a screen, I just had an indicator flashing. Long story short, I reset it and told it it had a new bulb and probably have close to 4000 hours on this bulb now. I have a new bulb waiting, that's the best advice for anyone without a backup projector.

The best idea is to have dual projectors. I run one for daily stuff, and run one for HD content. (best machine) So, I have an almost new one sitting there for when my old Z3 does finally bite the dust.

I had 1 total failure with a Sanyo Z1 or Z2 I think it was, Actually, it was a Studio Experience model of it, forget model name, abandoned it. not worth repair. Went with Z3, then later Z2000 I think it is... I've been satisfied with Sanyo projectors overall.

If it's in budget, why not look at a good reasonably priced LCD unit to hold you over? No sense not being able to watch movies while your having your off time. Or even a LCD or plasma 46" or so, is only like 800 bucks now! I just put one over my fireplace, a Sony Bravia.
                I can still watch movies, just on a small monitor that I usually use for short viewings (most often, reviewing a scene I plan to use in class, or watching something for under an hour--I rarely fire up the PJ for under 90mins). The bulb is within budget, but a new TV is not. However, when this next bulb goes, I'll be updating the PJ or getting a flat panel.

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Bulb arrived this morning--works like a charm. Hope I can get more than 1227 (I finally was able to see the counter on the menu before resetting it with the new bulb) on this one. If it lasts as long in calendar terms (2.5 years) as the original, then I will be ready to move on to either a flat panel or a new projector.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Good Ovation, glad your back in biz, but 1227 hours is really low for a bulb, IMO. You were fortunate you didn't watch a whole lot I guess. Is it possible it was turned off abruptly some without allowing cooldown fan time? That could possibly damage.

I have a Z2000 that is my baby, and I don't put many hours on it. I save only for BD or HDDVD movies. I use my old Z4 (I mistakedly said Z3 earlier) for all TV unless I run 46" Bravia which I do some. I will admit, having 2 projectors is sweet. :-) But then I used my old one for daily TV, so my methodology worked for me for a while. I've had 4 projectors since I started buying them.
                    Doug

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

I watch a bit of hi-def TV, some hockey in HD and movies with my projector. I don't recall it turning off abruptly (I have it plugged into a UPC) but I did a little investigating and it seems that while relatively rare, my hours before failure falls within the spectrum of bulb life for this model.

If my current viewing pattern holds, even if it fails again at around the same number of hours, I should be good for another 2.5-3 years, by which time I'll be ready to get a new display (projector or not).

Comment

• Lex
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Apr 2001

Well, it's unusual to me because I have gotten 3000 to 4000 hours out of every bulb so far. I always do a reset at max hours, and trick it into thinking it has a new bulb. My Z4 wanted a new bulb at 1800-2000 hours I think, I gave it a reset. I haven't checked hours on it lately. It's noticably dimmer, but it still does ok for most daily viewing.

Well, the LCDs and Plasmas are getting cheap, it just depends what size image one wants. I think I may be more likely to drop a dual projector deal at some point in the future and just have an LCD or plasma 46-60" and 1 nice projector.
                        Doug

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

My room is small (my projector screen is 64 inches diagonal in 16:9--homemade), so a 50+ inch flat panel on a stand placed about 18 inches away from the wall where my screen is currently bolted would give me the same viewing angle. When I got my pj, a flat panel TV that size cost at least four times what I paid for the projector and screen (1300$ all told). Good ones in that size still cost more than what I paid, but the gap is shrinking (and the PQ is getting better--as is the resolution as my pj is 720p).

Comment

• Top Cat
                            • Jan 2010

Hi, if you go on ebay and type in ,projector bulbs, you can get that lamp for $189 bucks. I know it is too late since you already have one but it might help if you need another or would like to get a spare.

Comment

• Ovation
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Sep 2004

Perhaps my search wasn't thorough enough, but I only found bulbs rather than complete housings at that price. I did not trust myself to safely swap out bulbs from the housing. I'll look again though. Thanks.

Comment

• farazakan
                                • Sep 2009

Hi, Ovation i had replace my lamp for Sonyo Z1 and i am really happy with it. I had seen your lamp for only $214. check this out.

I know i am late for now. You can check this link next time.

Comment

• Ovation
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Sep 2004

Thanks. I'm hoping the next time will be an upgrading of the display, but I will bookmark this link just in case.

Comment

• dlp710
                                    • Feb 2010

Other options for bulb replacement are to have it remanufactured:

I've used this service on my Runco CL710 and it's just like OEM at a fraction of the price.

Comment

• Ovation
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Sep 2004

Thanks for the link. I've bookmarked it.

Comment

• asman1234
                                        • Jan 2011

sanyo plc xu 47

i have a projector sanyo plc xu 47 .when we press power button on projector intial it apperas green after almost 1 min. power light blinks red and projector is not focusing the after repeating so many times problem is same .
                                        I've cleaned both filters and reset the projector also.
                                        the led : replace lamp not light. in romania sanyo service is not. please tell if the projector can be repaired and what is it?
                                        the piece is defective? i think the bulb is good.I want to fix it here.I have a service manual (sanyo plc xu 47) but this error is not .expect an answer soon. thank you

Comment

• Ovation
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Sep 2004

I'm not an expert, but from what you describe, it appears you need to change the bulb. I'm sure others more knowledgeable than I will be able to provide a more detailed response.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Sure sounds like the lamp needs replacing.
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

• asman1234
                                              • Jan 2011

the led : lamp replace not light so bulb is good.

Comment

• Ovation
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Sep 2004

The lamp is the bulb, for this purpose. Sometimes, you can successfully replace the bulb in a lamp assembly for a projector (bulbs are sold separately in some places). However, it is a bit tricky if you've never done before and may not work. Lamp assemblies, with bulbs, are meant to be easily exchanged and while more expensive, has a higher chance of success. If the projector's manual says the LED indicates a need for a new lamp, it also means the bulb needs replacing.

Comment

• asman1234
                                                  • Jan 2011

yes ,the lamp is the bulb.the led: lamp replace not light ,not indicate that the lamp is defective.
                                                  reply another site:Common problem with this model is failure of LCD panel prism assembly.
                                                  ???????????

Comment

• Ovation
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Sep 2004

The LCD panel is most probably NOT the problem from what you have described. The light bulb is almost certainly the problem. The best solution would be to change the bulb--and the best way to do that is to change the lamp assembly (fresh bulb is in the new assembly). It is what I did with my projector.

That said, before ordering any replacement parts, I would have your projector examined. Even if there is no official Sanyo servicing in your region, any place that sells projectors should be able to ascertain your problem.

Comment

Working...
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"