X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • krek
    • Jun 2005

service menu dynamic brightness Samsung

Hi everyone,

Since a couple of weeks, I am the proud owner of a Samsung Plasma, ps58B680.

The screen has only one flaw which is somewhat disturbing, which can best be described as a flickering of the brightness, in some dark movie scenes. I can even pause the dvd when it happens and the flickering continues. When I turn the brightness up, the flickering disappears. When I turn it down again, the flickering re appears.

When I watch the same movie with a higher brightness setting, the flickering will be present in darker scenes (hence, the same darkness overall present on the screen when compared to a lower brightness setting). So it is my conclusion that the screen only reacts badly with a certain treshold of brightness. Changing the backlight setting doesn't change anything.

I have read that the service menu might have the option to turn a dynamic brightness setting of. However, since every Samsung plasma has a different service menu, with sometimes different names for the same settings, I would like some help. Who has the specifics of the setting I am looking for?
  • krek
    • Jun 2005

It looks like the problem only occurs in the ''film'' mode. It might be solved using the '''standard'' setting, with the same brightness, sharpness settings. I'll do some more testing later this week.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Have you tried contacting Samsung's customer/technical service?
      Jason

Comment

• krek
        • Jun 2005

Yes I have, and in the Netherlands they send someone from a repairman from a repair company. So its not a Samsung guy. He told me that every Samsung tv line has its own service menu, and this complicates things. He has tried to find dynamic settings, but could not find any that were still on. However, this might represent the ''normal'' settings, and not the cinema settings. He told me he would write down the specifics of the complain and ask it to a high level Samsung repair department.

I will wait. In the meantime I just don't use the cinema setting. Problem solved. If you read other av forums, it is clear that multiple lines of led and plasma's from samsung suffer from the problem, and that most of the time the repairman doesn't have the answer. It's a good thing we have internet nowadays, otherwise I would have returned the tv.

Comment

• farazakan
          • Sep 2009

Seems like you solved it by your self.

Comment

• krek
            • Jun 2005

Yes, indeed.

In the meanwhile, I have received the Samsung response. They state that the behaviour or the tv is within the specs. Strange, since this means that the film mode cannot be used without a flickering screen.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"