X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bobwen
    • Nov 2005

Samsung DLP screen "blotch"

Well, my cleaning lady decided to wash the screen on my Samsung HLP-5063W 50" HDTV [with Windex!]. Now there's a dark triangular "smear" in the lower right hand corner of the screen about 4" wide and 7" high along the edges! Although part of it has faded a bit, one small section has "congealed" into an irregularly shaped black spot. Touching the screen seems to make this black area move and flow a little bit, as though there is a pool of "oil" trapped between 2 layers of plastic. Any ideas anyone? Is a call to Samsung service in order for a replacement projection screen? It's still in warranty... just barely, but I'd assume this wouldn't be covered anyway.
  • Kens1
    • Mar 2005

Just a shot in the dark, but does your menu function allow you to do a screen wipe - it turns the screen solid white and eliminates any imperfections on the screen. Might be something worth looking at.

Comment

• bobwen
      • Nov 2005

This problem is definitely IN the front screen itself. As I said, pushing on the screen causes the "blotch" to move, reshape expand & contract, as though liquid is trapped. I think she sprayed too much windex on the screen and some dripped into the screen at the bottom right, then somehow "wicked" up inside the procetion screen. Oddly enough, this blotch becomes transparent like the rest of the screen if I view far an extreme far right angle. Really wierd! If Samsung's screen is somehow multi-layered and thus susceptable to liquid wicking, you'd think they'd warn you, or better still, seal the dog-gone edges because people DO have to clean things, even large screen rear-projection TVs.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

You got liquid in between the screen layers. It should eventually dry out, but it could leave a stain. You could take the screen off and try to get in between the layers to get the liquid out, or call a tech in to fix it for you.

Comment

• bobwen
          • Nov 2005

I want you to know, this was indeed the case. I went after it with a hair dryer, warming the screen several times each day for several days in a row and, finally, it is essentially all gone.
          Thanks for the replies.
          You'd think they'd have sealed the 2 parts, wouldn't you!

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Well I do believe I read in the menu it says to only clean the screen with a lightly dampened cloth.... so they basically tell you not to spray or let any liquid into the cracks.

Glad you got it worked out and can now enjoy your TV!!!
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Clive
              Former Moderator
              • Jan 2002

Yep! spray it on the cloth then wipe the screen............ ANY SCREEN that is :x
              CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"