X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

New projector 1000ish range.

Ok well I've been looking at a projector 720p. Here are some I've been considering.

Sony VPL-AW15
    Optoma HD78 (used)
    Optoma HD7100
    Mitsubishi HC3000

Out of these or any others that are in the 1000 range that you would rather have? The AW15 accepts 1080p/24 video format which is nice. I'll be projecting onto an 80" screen for the time being until we move into a bigger place. I think rainbow isn't such a big issue on the newer DLP's and SDE Isn't so noticable with the size vs seating distance so anything is a go for me. Other then a CRT as thats just way to big.
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I've got the AW15 and I am quite happy with it. I had to tweak it (with DVE) a bit more than I expected to get things the way I like it, but I managed it and have racked up about 125 hours in six weeks of ownership (which is way more than I used to watch in the same time span). The internal scaler/deinterlacer makes my SD DVDs look almost as good as the HD PVR images (a tad less sharp, but close--especially with DVDs that have good transfers like LOTR EE, and Lost). SD TV channels look okay (not as good as my Sony SD CRT, but that is probably owing to the much larger size--64 inches vs 32 inches). Hockey in HD looks great. I do NOT regret my purchase.

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

My only concern with the AW15 is the black level. Not the contrast ratio but the black level. Reviews I've seen say that black levels on the newer DLP's is better then the AW15. The Auto Iris just screws up the whole contrast ratio thing.

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I guess I'm not a black level purist (I've read such comments before) but I have no issues about the black level. It isn't as black as a CRT device (no LCD, or even DLP, has done that--certainly not at this price point) but even in a room devoid of ambient light (as my room is at night, if I so choose) the dreaded "greyish black" is not there. It WAS there with the two business projectors I borrowed from my wife's office when I was experimenting with whether the room could accommodate a projector at all (one was LCD, the other DLP--the DLP was better than the LCD, but worse than my AW15). The colours of the Sony appear more natural to me than any other display I've played around with (though I'm no expert--just a hobbyist armed with a copy of DVE) and it has no rainbows (a problem for me and my wife, though not for anyone else I know IRL).

I don't know what you are used to watching, nor have I seen the others on your list, but I can say that I like mine (I liked a few others I saw as well, some even more than my AW15, but they were a lot more expensive and beyond what I was willing to spend on a first time projector purchase) and that among any issues (post tweaking) I've had (and they are minor--a bit of colour non-uniformity with some black and white films that is only evident if I look for it instead of simply watch the movie), black level is not one of them for me (in fact, apart from the colour uniformity issue, black and white films look great--blacks look black and shadow detail is very good). I also think the only PJ in this price range (LCD or DLP) that rivals mine in scaling/deinterlacing is the BenQ W500 with the REON chip. But mine is said, in several reviews, to pass the Silicon Optix torture test disc with flying colours.

In the end PQ, no rainbows and price (as well as lens shift) tilted the balance toward the Sony for me. It's not perfect, but I think it is as good as I could get at the price. If rainbows were not an issue for me, I might have given serious consideration to some other projectors, though.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• Hdale85
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2006

Hmm very good points. I don't know I'm probably going to just wait a couple more months for a new display.

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Deffinately going to wait. I was trying to win an H78DC3 on ebay for like 600 but didn't work out so going to finish up my mains and then go for a projector or some sort of t.v.

Comment

• Ovation
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2004

That's cool. I expect the prices for even better stuff next year to be lower than what I paid (which was a lot less than any equivalent piece from a year before).

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Yeah I don't know if I'll wait that long. But I'm sure. If I wait that long I'll save for a 1080p unit. That new Epson thats comming out thats spec'd 50k:1 cr sounds very nice Or maybe I could afford an RS-1 by then if the price drops enough.

Comment

• Fred333
                  • Oct 2007

I have always like the Epson projectors. When is the new one coming out?
                  Always looking for a Scranton Web Design company.

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Not sure but its supposed to be like 3300 and its 1080p and has an amazing CR spec but who knows how accurate it is?

Comment

• cadman
                      • Sep 2003

Epson 1080P

Epson America, Inc. Official Site. Product information, drivers, support, and online shopping for Epson products including inkjet printers, ink, paper, projectors, scanners, wearables, smart glasses, POS, robotics, and factory automation.

take a look at that I have it an love it at 2300.00$ plus tax cdn
                      quebecson montreal :lol: :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"