BENQ W500--new budget king LCD projector?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

BENQ W500--new budget king LCD projector?

As I've been considering various projector possibilities, I came across the BENQ W500 last week. In my budget and in my room I am restricted to LCD projectors because I absolutely require vertical and horizontal lens shift (unknown on DLPs under 3000$ US). If I were stateside, my short list would be the Sanyo Z5, the Sony AW15 and the Epson 400, and now, the BENQ W500 (each of which is available under 1500$). In Canada, only the Z5 and W500 fit that list.

The W500 accepts 1080p/24 signals (even via its component inputs--though I don't know if anyone can actually use that--perhaps it's useful in Europe?) and it has Silicon Optics HQV video processing--for a Canadian street price of under 1200$ (about 300$ less than the Z5--which I already considered a good deal at around 1500$ CDN).

I think the W500 is now at the top of my (admittedly very short) list.

Thoughts?
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I've never owned a BenQ but they seem to have a fairly good reputation. Anyway, at a street price of under $1200 CDN I don't see how you can go wrong. I own both lcd and dlp and though I prefer dlp for contrast and blacks, I have to admit that today's lcds ( like my Yamaha ) that have vertical and horizontal lens shift is one heckuva feature.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I'm just waiting to see any news from someone who's watched something on it. If I don't find catastrophically bad feedback, I think I'll take the plunge later this summer (unless something else comes along).

Comment

• wildfire99
        • Aug 2005

Do you really require lens shift? I've used DLPs and tilted them all sorts of ways and most of the time the resulting key-stoning on screen is either minor or not noticeable at all if you zoom the picture to slightly larger than the screen.

At the bargain end of front projection, I don't feel real good about LCD for ultimate picture quality. The Optomas might have a rebate through the end of the month. What is your situation for projector offset and brightness requirements?
        - Patrick
        "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by wildfire99
          Do you really require lens shift? I've used DLPs and tilted them all sorts of ways and most of the time the resulting key-stoning on screen is either minor or not noticeable at all if you zoom the picture to slightly larger than the screen.

At the bargain end of front projection, I don't feel real good about LCD for ultimate picture quality. The Optomas might have a rebate through the end of the month. What is your situation for projector offset and brightness requirements?
          I require lens shift because I plan to use the projector on a table/stand and put it away when not in use (neither the projector nor the screen will be permanently mounted). The only practical place for such a table/stand is to the left of my primary listening/viewing chair (this would place the projector approx. 7 feet from the screen, and 2 feet off-centre). My set up is geared towards MCH audio (seating, speaker arrangement, etc.) and I am not willing to compromise those elements to accompany a projector. So both vertical AND (especially) horizontal lens shift are necessary.

Moreover, while it was a business projector and of lesser quality than home theatre projectors, I had a DLP at the house for a few weeks, to test whether my small room could comfortably accommodate a projector, (my wife borrowed her projector from the office--a Dell 2300MP, IIRC) and the rainbows were severely distracting. And, owing to its lack of lens shift, I had to move my seat rather far off-centre (which was OK for the experiment, but unacceptable for the long-term)

As for brightness, I have total light control in the room. The walls are a dark forest green, the ceiling is made of white acoustic drop ceiling tiles, but they did not bother me when I used the Dell. The carpet is a short-fibre multicoloured (none very light) weave.

Personally, I fail to understand why lens shift is NOT available on DLP projectors in the same price range as LCD (presumably the cost of lens shift is the same for each--though there may be something about DLP that makes it more difficult/pricier, I don't know).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
            (presumably the cost of lens shift is the same for each--though there may be something about DLP that makes it more difficult/pricier, I don't know).
            I read the explanation somewhere of why it is more costly to have lens shift for dlp but I forget what the issue was, only that it made the PJ more expensive. Anyway, your setup it will definitely call for a lens shift feature.
            My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"