Zenith Front Projector Install - with pictures!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

Zenith Front Projector Install - with pictures!

I recently had the opportunity to install a new Zenith Pro895X High Definition CRT Front Projector for their home theater. (Note that the link takes you to the page for the Pro900X, which is essentially the same projector).

As I set up the projector, I took pictures to show some of the steps involved in installing a CRT front projector. It's a lot of work, but in the end it's worth it, as nothing else can touch the picture quality that's possible in a quality CRT projector.

My friends floor mounted the projector inside a custom built coffee table. They are using a motorized 96" wide (120" diagonal) 4:3 Da-Lite screen. The projector is being fed a 480p signal from a Videon Omega One line doubler.

Here's the projector, with the covers removed.

Since the projector is configured at the factory for ceiling mounting, the yoke wires have to be reversed, in essence flipping the image on the CRTs so that the picture isn't upside down and backwards when the projector is floor mounted!

Here's the convergence board, flipped up to gain access underneath.

Here's some of the yoke wires (the red and blue ones). They have to be reversed in order to use the projector in a floor mount configuration.

Here's a better shot of those yoke wires.

Here's a shot of the projector's innards.Those gray things that look like space ray guns are the cathode ray tubes (CRTs). The black box in the left of the picture (over the red CRT) is the electrostatic focus and screen adjustments. Those thick red wires you see carry approx. 20,000 volts to the CRTs, so one has to be careful not to touch them while adjusting things!

Here's a shot of the front of the projector. Those cannon-looking things are the lenses. There's one mounted on each CRT. In this picture there are dust covers on the lenses. The lenses from left to right are for blue, green, and red respectively. Those gray shims behind the lenses are pre-set for a 80" wide screen. Since my friend has a 96 inch screen, those shims have to be removed, as illustrated in the next few pictures.

In order to remove the shims, the lenses have to be removed. In this picture I removed the green lens, which sits on the floor. The shim is right behind the lens on the floor.

Here's a close up shot of the green CRT with the lens removed. There is a coolant cover over the CRT face, yes there's actual liquid in there! It keeps the CRTs from getting too hot when the projector is in operation.

In this picture I've replaced the green lens (notice how the gray shim is removed), and I've removed the red lens and its shim.

And ditto for the blue lens.

All the lenses are back in place, with the shims removed. You can just see the shims lying on the floor in front of the projector.

Now it's time to place the projector in the coffee table. We carefully measured the distance from the screen and placed the table and projector at the proper distance from Bob's screen. We also centered the projector so that the green lens is centered in respect to the screen. Soon we'll be firing this baby up and adjusting it!

The first thing I did after powering up the projector was to aim and focus the lenses. Once they were focused, I put a convergence grid up. The next task is to adjust geometry and convergence. Geometry is adjusting the image so all the lines are straight and the squares are square. Convergence is getting the lines from the red, green, and blue CRTs to converge on the screen so that you'll see white lines, instead of separate red, green and blue lines like you see in the picture. This process takes several hours and lots of trial and error.

Note that the grain in the picture is due to the camera (the room was dark for the screen shots), and not the projector. The real images look a lot better than these pictures can show!

Here's a resolution pattern from Ovation Software's AVIA DVD. I put this up after completing convergence, just to see what this baby is capable of! The picture doesn't do it justice, this projector does a fine job!

Here's the projector, all converged and ready to have the covers put back on!

And here it is with the covers back in place!

Next, we put the top on the coffee table.

The front of the coffee table closes up, hiding the projector when it's not in use.

Here's a screen shot from The Fifth Element-Superbit Edition. It looks even better in real life than in the picture.

Here's a screen shot from Disney's Toy Story 2. Buzz Lightyear never looked better on a large home theater screen!
    Last edited by Kevin P; 21 May 2004, 11:50 Friday. Reason: Updated links to pictures
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Great job setting up the projector Kevin and thanks for sharing the writup! :T

Tell me, does he run the projector with the top on the table, and only the front opening for ventilation? Or does he open it completely?

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

The projector's ventilation fans pull air from one side of the projector to the other. There's plenty of space on the sides and there is a large opening in the bottom of the table for airflow. There is also a gap between the table top and the table to allow airflow. The table originally housed a Pro850x projector, which had no fans, and there was no problems with heat.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
      My HT Site

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Kevin (see I'm learning! )

Thanks for a very nice presentation on the install. It's nice to see a job really well done.

David - HTGuide flunky
        Our "Theater"
        Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Wireless
          • Feb 2001

Kevin, nice job on set up and instructions!

Can you take a close up picture of the 6.75Mhz pattern on AVIA? I am curious to see how your CRT resolves the pattern with a line doubler as compared to my digital.

Thanks!

John
          My HT Picts
          John
          My HT Picts

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Wireless
            Can you take a close up picture of the 6.75Mhz pattern on AVIA? I am curious to see how your CRT resolves the pattern with a line doubler as compared to my digital.
            I'll try to remember to do this next time I'm at his house. The projector could stand some more tweaking in the convergence and focus dept. so the resolution pattern may not show optimal results quite yet. Also, it's a 7" CRT projector so it's not going to have the resolution of a proj. with 8" or 9" guns.

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Kevin-
              Your installation brought back memories of when I had to install my Zenith PRO851X crt projector. The convergence on the 851 was analog and took me about three hours the first time. Now it's a twenty minute touch up whenever I notice the convergence drifting. I darn near replaced the 851 with the 880, which may be a predecessor of the 895, but decided to go with a Sony lcd. However, th old Zenith is still ticking and giving a darn good picture for its age. Looks a lot of work in setting up the 895. Nice job.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
                • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                Kevin-
                Your installation brought back memories of when I had to install my Zenith PRO851X crt projector.
                What a co-ink-e-dink! Guess what projector my friend replaced with the Pro895X? You got it, a Pro851X. For a NTSC-only, composite-only unit it did a great job. My friend got 7 years of heavy use out of it. He's giving it to a relative so I'm going to get the fun task of setting it up in a year or so. In the meantime he's really enjoying his 895. Now he realizes why I prefer anamorphic DVDs, now he does too!

BTW, it takes about 3 hours to do geometry and convergence on the 895X as well. Although it's all done from the remote now, you only have standard adjustments to go on (height, width, linearity, pincushioning, blah blah), no fine multi-point grid like on my Mits RPTV. In the case of Bob's PJ it took 6 hours because I had to do geometry and convergence for both the 4:3 and 16:9 modes. Then if/when he goes to a scaler, HTPC, or HDTV tuner I get to do it all over again since every scan rate/aspect ratio mode has to be converged separately. Oh what fun!

KJP

My HT Site

Comment

• shiluamin
                  • Mar 2005

pro851x

i have a pro851x installed in my house for a while nowbut recently the power is on but no picture. can you help! thank you

Comment

• vanfajo
                    • Mar 2006

cool table!

Love the coffee table/projection system, very cool. Thought about doing something similar myself. What does the owner do about cable management? Do they simply lay on the carpet and enter into the back of the table? And if so, does that mean that they are laying out in the open all the time? Thats the only part I'm hung up on? Any help would be appreciated.
                    Thanks-joe

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

My old Zenith PRO851 was floor mounted on a custom stand. I had to run cable from the PJ in the center of the room to the receiver located in a rack about four feet away on a side wall. I don't know the name of the thingamabob I used, but basically it was plastic and rounded somewhat and was maybe 1/4 inch high. The cable fit inside. If you tramped on it you didn't trip over the cable. Not beautiful, but it did the trick. But my HT was a dedicated room so you could do this without having an eyesore. If you click on my homepage link at the bottom of the post, you can see the cable running to the rack before I bought this thingamabob to cover it.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Kevin P
                        • Aug 2000

When he had the house built he had a conduit installed in the floor to run the video cables, and an outlet was installed in the floor. The cables come out of the floor under the table and up into the table and to the PJ.

I did the same thing in my house when I rebuilt, so there are no cables exposed in my floor-mount PJ setup either.

Comment

• draganm
                          • Jul 2005

Kevin, nice to see a CRT story on here for a change but I'm curious. With 8" Electromagnetic sets selling so cheap, around $2000. with clean tubes, why did you guys go through all that trouble to install a 7 ES set? I know the 7 inchers can throw a great pic up to 80" wide but at 96" you must be pushing the tubes pretty hard to fill all that canvas no? Not knocking the 7" machines, they are so affordable you practically put one in every room of the house , just unusuall to see one nowadays considering the limited bandwidth, lense spacers instead of continuous scheimgplug, and 800 lums? Seems like you did a knockout job though and didn't cut any corners, good work. :T

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by draganm
                            Kevin, nice to see a CRT story on here for a change but I'm curious. With 8" Electromagnetic sets selling so cheap, around $2000. with clean tubes, why did you guys go through all that trouble to install a 7 ES set?
                            I'm sure it was better 4 years ago when he put it in.. Gotta be careful when people pop old threads up from the dead!

Kevin D.

Comment

• Kevin P
                              • Aug 2000

Kevin, nice to see a CRT story on here for a change but I'm curious. With 8" Electromagnetic sets selling so cheap, around $2000. with clean tubes, why did you guys go through all that trouble to install a 7 ES set?
                              Well, I installed that PJ and posted this thread like 4 years ago. I should post a thread on my NEC 9PG install. I didn't take a bunch of pics when I did it though.
                              I know the 7 inchers can throw a great pic up to 80" wide but at 96" you must be pushing the tubes pretty hard to fill all that canvas no? Not knocking the 7" machines, they are so affordable you practically put one in every room of the house , just unusuall to see one nowadays considering the limited bandwidth, lense spacers instead of continuous scheimgplug, and 800 lums? Seems like you did a knockout job though and didn't cut any corners, good work. :T
                              I pulled the lenses off a month or so ago and the tubes still look brand new. Not bad for a 4 year old 7" CRT PJ running on a 96" wide screen.

Comment

• draganm
                                • Jul 2005

oops ops: , I didn't notice the date.4 years ago you couldn't touch a clean 8 incher for under $4K. things sure have changed a lot and the bulb-machines have come a long way since then. It's to the point where people are happy enough with a DLP/LCD and willing to forego that last 20% of pic quality to avoid the size and complexity of CRT. Oh well, Analog has been the domain of hard-core purists for at least 2 decades since CD came out. One thing is for sure, you wouldn't still be on your first bulb after 4 years only a vacuum tube can do that

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

oops ops: , I didn't notice the date.4 years ago you couldn't touch a clean 8 incher for under $4K.
                                  So many ways I could run with that sentence...
                                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• draganm
                                    • Jul 2005

LOL. I have wondered whether every CRT enthusiasts obsession to own a 9 incher is more than just about pic quality. :B While we're on the topic, anyone heard of Blendzilla over here, it's a $17K scaler and blender for splitting a projected image over 2 different projectors in order to produce a very large screen and high FL light output. I saw this set-up a few weeks ago and it was quite impressive.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • May 2003

My first projector was an Electrohome with 7" CRTs and using ahigh gain screen I was able to project onto a 120" 4:3 screen. My room had full light control and the resulting picture was very good looking.

Of course it was visibly better when I moved up to a Sony projector with 9" CRTs.

But the picture improvements there were due to both higher resolution and better light output. And I then moved to a 120" 16:9 screen with a lower 1.5 gain which reduced the hotspotting and color shift issues that come from using a high gain screen with a CRT projector.

I'll admit that owning a projector with 9" CRTs was influenced by the cool factor, but once dialed in, it did produce a breathtaking picture. Especially with HD material.

Congratulations Kevin on your new toy! Enjoy.
                                      I've seen (and owned) front and rear projectors with 7" CRTs and the picture can look excellent. Most rear projection CRT TVs have 7" tubes.

As far as the Blendzilla, it seems pricey and complex to try and setup and maintain two CRT front projectors. For me, the benefits of digital projectors over CRT models for supporting bigger screens is a better deal. CRT's biggest advantage is black levels, and digital display's biggest advantages are simple operation and care, with relatively high light output.

Having a normally sized big screen (84"-100") is probably going to be a wash, with a well setup CRT easily being able to display a great looking picture.
                                      But doubling the complexity and cost with two CRT projectors is not the choice that I would make.
                                      Last edited by Dean McManis; 27 March 2006, 02:32 Monday.

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"