X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pio
    • Nov 2005

Pioneer 6070HD owners please come in

I have a chance to get a Pioneer plasma 6070 at a pretty good price, it is not 1080, how does it look with HD sources??? DVDs look great on it, but I haven't seen a 720 feed on it.
    Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

sufficiently updated from last years (realy 3 year old) pannel
    with that kind of cash id get 1080p though but def the best 720p set out there

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

How does it look? About as sweet as plasmas come. Mine comes in tomorrow. I had the 5070 for almost two months but decided the step back from a 55" RPTV was a step too far. The recent changes to my AV system coupled with the push back for SED motivated a display upgrade far sooner than I had planned but I am happy with the choice I made. I drove the 5070 with my Classe' CDP-300 DVD player which includes some of the finest built-in video scaling and deinterlacing components in use today. I also sampled OTA HD broadcasts. I found that between 720p and 1080i sources, the later looked best.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Don't own one personally but don't get too hung up on 1080p PDP's. They tend to have worse contrast than their 720p counterparts and the increased resolution isn't always as noticeable as some might be hoping you believe...particularly with the small amount of 1080p material currently available.

Save your money and buy a good quality 720p unit IMO.
        Jason

Comment

• peterS
          Super Senior Member
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by aud19
          They tend to have worse contrast than their 720p counterparts and the increased resolution isn't always as noticeable as some might be hoping you believe...particularly with the small amount of 1080p material currently available.
          where have you read that they have worse contrast, any opinions on the elite 1080p (havent seen it yet)
          the benifit depends on size and display medium (ie sxrd 1080p is amaizing where as toshiba samsung and mitsu almost look worse than there 720p counterparts)
          plenty of 1080i

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by peterS
            where have you read that they have worse contrast, any opinions on the elite 1080p (havent seen it yet)
            the benifit depends on size and display medium (ie sxrd 1080p is amaizing where as toshiba samsung and mitsu almost look worse than there 720p counterparts)
            plenty of 1080i
            I was speaking of PDP's in particular, not SXRD's etc. Everything I've heard say's the 1080p PDP's have worse black level and contrast then their 720p counterparts and as you noted can actually have worse overall PQ.
            Jason

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I concur with Jason. 1080p PDP's are a little overrated and less than steller perfomers at this time. Until 1080p source material and playback systems mature and become more ubiquitous your money is better saved or spent on a larger lower resolution display. I have seen the 1080p Pioneer PR0-FHD1 right next to the 720p PDP-5070HD. Both were running the movie "Steath", the FHD1 on BR the 5070 on DVD. The former had a washed out look to it although it was less noisy. The latter had better color saturation and from my viewing position (12 feet) the improved resolution of the FHD1 was hardly noticable. Overall I preferred the 5070, regardless of any price differences.

Comment

• Pio
                • Nov 2005

I purchased a new 60 inch (non XBR) SXRD with 1080p and it doesn't look quiete right, so I'm returning it for the Pioneer. At the store, all I could see on the Pioneer was a "split" HD feed and it looked pretty good.

Originally, I wanted get a new 60 inch XBR2 from Sony with 1080P, but for some reason Sony keeps postponing its release date. I can't wait any longer (will be out of the exchange window) so I went for the Pioneer.

Thanks for the feedback. BTW - my DVD player is a Denon 5900, I'm hoping it will look good. :T

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• RebelMan
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Pio
                  I can't wait any longer (will be out of the exchange window) so I went for the Pioneer.
                  The 6070?

Comment

• Pio
                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                    The 6070?
                    Actually in the Magnolia store it is the 6071HD not the 6070HD - It is identical, I think.... check it out:

Pioneer Electronics car audio and home theater entertainment products including in-car GPS navigation, Android Auto Enabled Receivers, Apple Car Play enabled Receivers, Pioneer and Elite Receivers, headphones, iphone car stereo, car stereos, bluetooth car stero, car radio, speakers and Blu-ray/DVD Drives

Pioneer Electronics car audio and home theater entertainment products including in-car GPS navigation, Android Auto Enabled Receivers, Apple Car Play enabled Receivers, Pioneer and Elite Receivers, headphones, iphone car stereo, car stereos, bluetooth car stero, car radio, speakers and Blu-ray/DVD Drives

Comment

• peterS
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Pio
                      I purchased a new 60 inch (non XBR) SXRD with 1080p and it doesn't look quiete right, so I'm returning it for the Pioneer. At the store, all I could see on the Pioneer was a "split" HD feed and it looked pretty good.

Originally, I wanted get a new 60 inch XBR2 from Sony with 1080P, but for some reason Sony keeps postponing its release date. I can't wait any longer (will be out of the exchange window) so I went for the Pioneer.

Thanks for the feedback. BTW - my DVD player is a Denon 5900, I'm hoping it will look good. :T
                      you sre entitled to a cash refund at bb/ magnolia
                      dont let them suggest otherwise

Comment

• Pio
                        • Nov 2005

you sre entitled to a cash refund at bb/ magnolia
                        dont let them suggest otherwise
                        I used the money from the Sony towards the Pioneer, they were very good to deal with.

Comment

• tf1216
                          • Apr 2006

"I purchased a new 60 inch (non XBR) SXRD with 1080p and it doesn't look quiete right, so I'm returning it for the Pioneer. At the store, all I could see on the Pioneer was a "split" HD feed and it looked pretty good."

What is XBR when talking about the Sony SXRD screens? I apologize for my ignorance.

Comment

• Pio
                            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by tf1216
                            "
                            What is XBR when talking about the Sony SXRD screens? I apologize for my ignorance.
                            XBR is to Sony kind of what elite is to Pioneer or what an M is to BMW- When a Sony TV has an XBR in it's model number, you should expect a bit higher performance.

Comment

• tf1216
                              • Apr 2006

Thank you for the clarification. Sorry I was lazy and did not check Sony's website. They clearly explain that XBR is their flagship models.

Comment

• peterS
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Pio
                                I used the money from the Sony towards the Pioneer, they were very good to deal with.
                                returning it for cash would allow you to get the sony you wanted

Comment

• Pio
                                  • Nov 2005

returning it for cash would allow you to get the sony you wanted
                                  Very true, problem is I want a TV now and have no idea when the XBR2 will be in stores. I really liked the plasma. If you are married, you know you only have a certain window of "wife approval" before she changes her mind. :lol:
                                  Last edited by Pio; 04 October 2006, 18:45 Wednesday.

Comment

• tf1216
                                    • Apr 2006

I have a girlfriend with money burning a hole in her pocket. She wants me to suggest a tv for her to buy. I was leaning towards an SXRD but that was before I knew about the XBR units.

Should I still suggest she get a "Sony Grand WEGA 50" 1080p Rear-Projection SXRD HDTV " from Best Buy?

Her screen will be placed in a normal living area and not a dedicated movie watching area.

Please help. Thanks all!

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

It's still one of the better displays currently available so definitely put it on her short list IMO :T There's always something better around the corner, you can't wait forever
                                      Jason

Comment

• Boone38
                                        • Dec 2004

I as well, over the weekend and bought the 5071 from BB. I was doing some reading in the manual ( do not tell the wife). It looks like the 5071 comes with a special mini remote that the 5070 does not come with. That was all I noted thus far.

I was very impressed with the 5070 vs the other brands as well. I was leaning to the Sony until the put them side by side. The Sony was more money with less quality. I also like the fact of the cable card on the 5071.

BB matched, then beat the others in price. I paid 3299.99 and then they gave me 24 months with no intrest.

Will keep all informed if there are any ohther differences between the 5071/5070.

Comment

• Pio
                                          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Boone38
                                          It looks like the 5071 comes with a special mini remote that the 5070 does not come with. .
                                          Yep, I think thats it, they delivered mine today and it also has a smaller remote.

BTW- I couldn't be happier, the TV looks INCREDIBLE on HDTV channels as well as DVD.

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"