Please recommend a HDMI DVD player with 1080i/720p upscaling for 32" LCD - UPDATE!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Please recommend a HDMI DVD player with 1080i/720p upscaling for 32" LCD - UPDATE!

Hello Everyone!

I just moved so I picked up a Sony 32" LCD (Bravia series) to watch some movies and tv. I have been playing movies through my laptop and outputing it via the DB15 connection. I received my old Pioneer Elite DVD player last night (snail-mail), hooked it up, and realized just how old it was (purchased in 2001). The pictured looked great on my previous Sony RPTV, but now on LCD, it looks horrible. So I am looking for a good DVD player to replace my faithful Pioneer.

Requirements:
    - Upscale to 1080i/720p (doesn't really matter for anything higher)
    - HDMI output (tv doesn't have component inputs)
    - Slim (Or somewhat slim. Can't be bigger than 120mm)

Extra Notes:
    - Doesn't need to be the best. I am only going to use it to play movies to this tv, and that's it.
    - Audio Decoding is not that important. This DVD player will not be hooked up to an audio system for HT. I may only use the stereo audio outputs for music.
    - I'm just looking for a slim DVD player that can make my DVDs look good on my 32" LCD.

No budget at this time. But it doesn't need to cost THAT much. It will only be used for a simple setup (tv + dvd).

Thank you!

----------------
    Received Oppo DV-970HD today. Review at the bottom.
    Last edited by audioqueso; 02 November 2007, 11:17 Friday.
    B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720
  • audioqueso
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

I forgot to add. Some models that I have been looking at are the Marantz DV3002 or DV4001. I also was looking at the Denon DVD-757 or DVD-557. Base models, but just looking at the specs, they do what I need right now. I don't need more for this tv.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
      • Aug 2001

Oppo.

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

OPPO DV-970HD? I was looking at Oppo's website, and they recommend this model for my 32" LCD. Sound good? It's cheap too! $150!!!

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
          • Aug 2001

The 970 is great! Nice and slim, and will play everything beautifully.

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

I believe the 970 is discontinued at this point (cannot order from oppo's site anymore...maybe still available on amazon). However, for $20 more, the 980H is supposed to be considerably improved, from what I've read.
            Brad

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Just something so I understand. I've been play movies on my laptop, and outputting it to the LCD via the DB15 connection. Is the upscaling that the Oppo (or other DVD players) different from the way a computer rescales it?

Comment

• audioqueso
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Well, went ahead and ordered one last night. I'll be sure to post my feedback once I receive it. Thanks everyone.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                  • Aug 2001

I know my 970 looks great on my 7' wide screen, so it should be about as good as it gets for SD on a 32" set.

Comment

• audioqueso
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Short review. Just received my Oppo player. I'm really enjoying it!
                    Got home, started watching Finding Nemo (which looked like horrible on my older DVD player), then I watched Spiderman 3 (again), and now I'm watching 300. I am really enjoying my Sony Bravia LCD now. These movies look so awesome, rich, crisp, and sooo clear. I wasn't THAT impressed before, but the Oppo (upscaled and output to 720p) really does make all these movies look THAT much better. I love it! I will add a few short comments again later. Back to my movie.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                      • Aug 2001

Cool. Now pick up "Love" on DVD-A.

Comment

• audioqueso
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Jack Gilvey
                        Cool. Now pick up "Love" on DVD-A.
                        That's an album??? Who's it by? I don't have my stereo anymore. I sold all of my equipment before moving. Just kept my B&W 805s. After I come back from vacation, I'm buying either Marantz SR7001 AVR + Marantz DV7001, or Arcam AVR300 + Arcam DV79. Once I get my new gear, then I can listen to music.

More on the Oppo. I am really enjoying my new tv with this DVD player. I'm watching The Pacificer (Vin Disel) with the kids. It looks soooo clear and crisp. Thank you for the recommendation.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                          • Aug 2001

That's an album??? Who's it by?
                          The Beatles! Amazing 5.1 remaster by George Martin and his son for the Las Vegas Cirque du Soleil show. Worth the price of the Oppo, IMHO. Get that and Pink Floyd's DSOTM SACD and you're set.

I'd go with the HDMI receiver, many more audio options. For example, the Oppo can deliver DVD-Audio and SACD (as PCM) to the SR7001. Used this way, the Oppo will compare favorably to just about anything else audio-wise, its analog stages (not too bad, really) don't come into play.

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

Ohhhhhhh... THAT album! Ha ha Yeah, I never picked it up cause I was already boxed up when the album came out. I wanted to, so I guess I will after my system is back.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"