X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

which is better 720p or 1080i

Whats up fella's,

I just bought a Pioneer pro940hd for the bedroom what a picture and (who needs 1080P)I got it for a steal. Guys I probably should know this, but what setting should I have my hd set-top box set to. My choices are 480i,480P,720P and 1080i its a Dish Network system. I now have it set at 720P. Thanks for any help.
    Blake
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi Blake,

It's my understanding that for most flat panels and DLP, LCD or LCoS (SXRD, D-ILA) rear projection televisions the setting should be 720p. For CRT rear projection televisions it is likely to be 1080i. For non-HD displays it is likely to be 480p.

Any experts out there who disagree?

Nigel.

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

You could try the "auto" setting and let the TV do the scaling, rather than the box (the TV probably has a better scaler). In the auto setting, the signals get sent in their native format (it might be called something else on your box). I believe the drawback to this setting, if I remember correctly, is the delay when channel switching as the TV adjusts to the different settings.

Comment

• Snap
        Super Senior Member
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Ovation
        You could try the "auto" setting and let the TV do the scaling, rather than the box (the TV probably has a better scaler). In the auto setting, the signals get sent in their native format (it might be called something else on your box). I believe the drawback to this setting, if I remember correctly, is the delay when channel switching as the TV adjusts to the different settings.
        :agree:

Let the box spit out what ever the signal is, and let the Pioneer scale the pix. That is one of the things that Pioneer does very well is have very good non HD scaling.
        The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

If I have the same TV and have a DVD with upconversion which would look better? 1080i or 720p?
          -Joe

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ovation
            That is your best bet as it allows the signal to stay in it's native res with less uneccessary scaling. However there are a lot of HD tuners (like my Motorola :evil: ) that don't have this option and forces you to pick one res.

In that case it will largely depend on which has the better scaler the box or your display (my guess would be the Pioneer should win there). In that case you'd likely would want to set the box to 1080i as that's what's most HD is broadcast in and let the Pioneer handle scaling to it's native res. Unless you watch say primarily sports which are mostly broadcast in 720p.
            Jason

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by joetama
              If I have the same TV and have a DVD with upconversion which would look better? 1080i or 720p?
              Likely 720p would look better there but again the Pioneer might have better scaling than your player and could produce an even better picture by simply sending it the format's native 480i/p and letting your display scale it. Best way to find out is to try each and see what looks best :T
              Jason

Comment

• comeup
                • Jul 2005

I have a lot to learn about this plasma, but I don't want to touch cause the pic is so good out of the box. Guys I would leave the set-top at auto but it doesn't have one Jason and Burner you mentioned 1080i because most channels are 1080i I'll try that. I did switch back and forth but didn't notice any difference.

I'll be ordering one of the Oppo dvd players soon but I have not figured out which one I want. I do have surround in the bedroom a 500$ Yamaha and Polk Audio sats & sub but don't know if I would listen to multi channel music in the bedroom. (Which Oppo has the best picture period). Thanks for the help
                Blake

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by comeup
                  I'll be ordering one of the Oppo dvd players soon but I have not figured out which one I want. I do have surround in the bedroom a 500$ Yamaha and Polk Audio sats & sub but don't know if I would listen to multi channel music in the bedroom. (Which Oppo has the best picture period). Thanks for the help
                  Have you looked at this page which compares the 3 Oppo models?

Based in the heart of Silicon Valley, OPPO Digital designs and markets high quality digital electronics that deliver style, performance, innovation, and value to A/V enthusiasts and savvy consumers alike. The company's attention to core product performance and strong customer focus distinguishes it from traditional consumer-electronics brands.

I've got an Oppo 971. I bought that model because my plasma monitor has a DVI input and the 971 has a DVI output. The 971 also features video processing with Faroudja technology, which provides excellent picture quality.

If I owned a Pioneer PRO940HD I wouldn't buy a 971 because the PRO940HD has an HDMI input. It is preferable therefore to have a DVD player with HDMI output (though you could use a DVI/HDMI adapter).

That leaves the 970 or the 981 which both have HDMI output. The 981 features video processing with Faroudja technology. The 970 does not.

There are other things to consider, which is why you need to look at the Web page above.

However, if I owned a Pioneer PRO940HD I would definitely buy an Oppo 981.

Nigel.

Comment

• comeup
                    • Jul 2005

Bigburner,

981hd is what it is.

thanks for the comparison chart didn't realize the 970 didn't have the Faroudja

When it comes in and is hooked up and running I will re post

By the way the 940 excepts a 1080P signal whatever that really means :E
                    Blake

Comment

• peterS
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Dec 2005

it means it can down scale 1080p (blu ray) material to its native rez

i wouldn't recommend the oppo 970 for video...

Comment

• comeup
                        • Jul 2005

My Oppo 981 came in today and all I can say is WOW it looks as good as my Denon 3910 worth every penny I should have bought one long ago.

So far I have it set at 1080i and it looks great.

I would know nothing about the Oppo if it was not for HTGUIDE thanks to you all great player great price.
                        Blake

Comment

• jasonpatty
                          • Jul 2007

Ok, got it.

I have the exact same setup. However, I can't get mine to display in 1080i. I tried pushing the HDMI button on the OPPO remote to switch resolution. It only allows 480P with the rest of the options being not valid. I can't find anywhere in the Pioneer guide to switch the resolution to try and force it either. Up until this point I thought I was pretty technically savvy but this is my first HDTV. The Pioneer was manufactured Sep 2006 and the OPPO is a V2.90. Help!

PS
                          The picture in 480P is the best 480P I've ever seen.

EDIT:
                          Never mind. I just figured it out. In hind sight it makes sense... Need to stop playback before resolution changes. 1080i looks amazing. Plugged in Titan AE and was going to only sample it to see how it looked... ended up watching the whole thing ;x( . Going back tonight with LOTR, Spiderman, and Hunt for Red October. I feel a sick day coming on...
                          Last edited by jasonpatty; 22 July 2007, 23:58 Sunday. Reason: Stupid me.

Comment

• comeup
                            • Jul 2005

Glad You Figured It Out............love That Oppo (save$$$$$$$$$$$$)
                            Blake

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"