X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

Need advice....a noob here

My current RPTV (Mitsubishi WS55907) apparently has a problem with the system/signal board (tech will call once diagnosis is performed in shop). Picture was going blank on and off last night and previously the DVD component hookup was causing quality problems. I tried the S-video also but DVD picture was not much better. Regular pic (HD cable) was fine until last night when it would come & go. Repair may run $400. Next repair will be foregone (TV is 5 yrs old). My question is, which technology should I go for - LCD, DLP, Plasma? My budget will be around $3500 for a 48 - 56" screen. Any specific models?
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Right now? Sony's SXRD models are the ones to beat IMO. Otherwise Samsung's LED-lit DLP units looks promising but I'd waint another year for at least the second generation models.
    Jason

Comment

• miner
      • Mar 2005

From what I have read so far CRT RPTV give the best resolution & blacks. the 'cabinet' is a real bothersome for me but I am looking for value/$$$. I am a bit peeved that 5 yrs was all I got out of this TV before major problems - will they end or is this just the beginiing (my 5 yr extended warranty ended in July)? I was told the system/signal board is one of the most expensive parts to replace. Oh well, that's life....
      Last edited by miner; 29 August 2006, 20:03 Tuesday.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by miner
        From what I have read so far CRT RPTV give the best resolution & blacks. the'cabinet' is a real bothersome for me but I am looking ofr value/$$$. I am a bit peeved that 5 yrs was all I got out of this TV before major problems - will they end or is this just the beginiing (my 5 yr extended warranty ended in July)? I was told the system/signal board is one of the mosy expensive parts to replace. Oh well, that's life....
        CRT's do still offer the best PQ out there and are quite inexpensive. Though I can only really recommend Hitachi and Mitsubishi (in spite of your sets issues)

That is both strange and unfortunate about the problem you experienced though So if it's scared you off CRT's, the sets I posted above would be your best bet

Also have a look at some of the other threads in this section as quite a few have covered similar ground :T
        Jason

Comment

• miner
          • Mar 2005

OK, got my TV back yesterday. Problem was the glycol that cools the lamps/CRT expands when it gets hot. The glycol spilled over onto the signal board and was causing image issues. They cleaned the board and installed a 'cooling tray' to catch any other glycol spillage. Repair was $300. I guess the DLP will have to wait until my next repair. My Sony WEGA 27" just does not match my Mits 55".

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Glad it all worked out...and (relatively) affordably! You can luckily enough enjoy CRT's superior PQ for a few more years now :T
            Jason

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"