X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pez
    • May 2004

Just got Samsung DLP TV

Just purchased a new Samsung 56 inch DLP TV and loving it, got the itch to upgrade once I was able to get a PS3. Had a hard time deciding between LCD/DLP RPTV and was hesitant to give up my Mits 48" CRT RPTV (which was HD). However I am glad I did as the picture quality is awesome. Watched a blu ray DVD for the first time and was impressed (to bad I couldnt get LPCM). The size and weight of these new TV's compared to my old set is rather dramtic. Now I just have to figure out how to get rid of the old TV.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Congrats, the Samsung's have great colour especially if you get them ISF'd :T Which model did you get?
    Jason

Comment

• Pez
      • May 2004

I got the HL-S5687W. Last night I was flipping through the channels and saw a show on Discovery HD about building aircraft carriers. For as long as I can remember aircraft carriers have fascinated me, one of the most amazing feets of human engineering IMO. Anyways, the picture was jaw dropping and confirmed why I got this TV.

As for getting it ISF'd, looking to that this summer. Apparently the Best Buy in my area is going to offer that service soon.

The funny thing about DLP is when a friend of mine got one when they first came out I thought the pictrure was grainy and not detailed at all - and this was watching a DVD. So I was always biased against them. For my new TV I was leaning towards a Sony LCD RPTV but felt I was giving Sony to much of my money lately (PS3, PS2 for spare room DVD player, new Sony cell phone which was expensive). So I revisited the Samsung DLP's to see how they fare compared to the early models. Now I dont know if something was wrong with my friends set but they have come a long way in the last few years. I am a very happy owner.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

When you do get it ISF'd make sure you ask about the iris that's only available from the service menu on some models. Not sure if it applies to your model but it could mean much better contrast and black levels if it does :T

So is BB actually sending techs for ISF training or are they just claiming a "ISF-like" calibration.....?
        Jason

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

I would NOT look for an ISF tech through Best Buy. They are going to look for guys who are cheap or who will be trying to do it as quickly as possible to make it worth their while, even if they are a capable tech.

It just sounds like a bad idea. Check in a larger forum like AVS if anyone has a recommendation for someone in you area. Really.

BB

Comment

• Pez
            • May 2004

When I was in the Magnolia section of Best Buy I was talking to the sales guy about TV's and he started mentioning some of the services they offer. When he said something about video calibration I asked if it was ISF certifed and apparently a couple of stores are doing it or about to. Also sounded like they are hiring/training a bunch of people to roll out in more locations. Should be interesting to see how it goes. I wonder what they are going to charge?

If they turn out to do a compentent job I would consider a Best Buy tech but not for my current TV. I want it done much sooner than any useful reviews will be available.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Brandon B
              Check in a larger forum like AVS if anyone has a recommendation for someone in you area. Really.

BB
              Or use the search function on the ISF page

Jason

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"