X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr C
    • Feb 2003

DLP - RCA and others

Hi guys - I've decided that DLP is the way to go (brightness, contrast, no burn in, reliability, cheaper after sales service parts ... :T ). Am interested in RP rather than FP due to light problems.

I'm specifically looking for comments (good and bad) + potential problems about the RCA DLP models. Reason is that I may be able to get a special price but I'd like to test the water before taking the dip.

Any other comments about the other brands + models (Samsung, Toshiba ...) would also be appreciated so i can do a comparison.

Thks.
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Toshiba and RCA are so new to the game, unfortunately I haven't heard much about them to give much comment. I might be tempted to go for a Samsung as they've been doing it for a few years now but... Go try to compare all three directly, see who has the features you like and don't like, picture quality, colour decoder, interface etc. Check all the specs too. Who has more colour segments in their wheels, whose spins faster. Also jusge things based on the room your putiing it into. One set might have better black levels but lower peak white that would be better for a darker room etc.

Good luck and happy shopping :T

Jason
    Jason

Comment

• Adz
      • Jan 2004

Before you commit, you may want to revisit the front projection DLP. Even in non-light controlled areas, projectors such as the Infocus line or the Sharp are pretty amazing in ambient light situations - basically blowing away rear projection, and then just wait until nighttime! Even the top Infocus projector is less than the top RCA or Samsung.
      Adz

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

One odd thing I've heard about the RCA DLP's, is that though theyr'e the usual 1280X720P panels, they don't accept 720P inputs. Instead, they use a chipset that just wants to see 1080i, and down converts that, or upconverts 480P DVD. Now, that's maybe only a problem if you're an HTPC nut running 720P, or if you have to use an external cable box- as long as the conversion is done well, it probably shouldn't be an issue. But I'd check it out carefully.

Also look closely at color purity. The Samsung sets were the first ones that were fairly decent- the earlier DLP RPTV's were pretty bad as regards scaling artifacts and color purity. Put it up against a good, well calibrated RPTV to judge.

Which brings up the other thing- I still think a carefully setup CRT RPTV has a better picture, and may have a longer, trouble free operating lifetime. Digital FPTVs are hard to unfeasible to repair (sealed light engines), and I suspect the RTPVs are no different.

Regards,

Jon

PS. I was looking at sets recently also, ended up spending $1600 getting a used NEC 9PG+ with less than 700 hours. Now, FPTV CRT is NOT for everyone, (setup requires some patience and skill) but boy, the picture is to die for.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Glen
          • Dec 2003

From what I've seen, I beleive the Samsung and RCA models are pretty much the same inside. I know of one RCA that's been in operation for a few months. The cooling fan noise has become very bad (audible even with moderate room noise levels ). Also, the bulb in the RCA units is not easily replaced - and would probably require a service technician to do so.

The unit I've liked most is the Sony ( I've spent some time with the RCA, Hitachi and Panasonic's ). They had a little trouble with the power supply for their bulbs ( causing premature bulb failure ), but that problem seems to have been rectified. The bulb can easily be replaced by removing the front grill of the TV ( and the bulb price is pretty reasonable ). There are alot of nice settings on the Sony for tweaking the picture to your preference and I found it to have amazing grey scaling ( not true deep black, but very good degrees of black ).On a true hi-def signal, the picture is truely amazing.

Hope this gives ou some food for thought. Happy shopping. :T

Comment

• Dr C
            • Feb 2003

Thks for the comments so far guys - it's been interesting.

A bit of background on this ... I'm working for Thomson (the parent co for RCA) and that's why I have access to cheaper pricing. That said, I am looking for all options irregardless of brand. It's just a price thing While I have seen HD images on the set (and they have been breathtaking) the sad fact is that in most of the PAL world there is no HD (except for Aus and some Euro countries are trying this out). Thus the CRT RPTVs we have here are also non HD so a good CRT set would be out.

That left plasmas (expensive and I was concerned about reliability and replacement part cost) and LCDs (poor brightness and contrast) so DLP is looking like a god send.

The main use of this display would be for DVDs and the inclusion of HDMI and/or DVI is the draw for me.

A bit of inside info on the RCA models - we introduced a thin (just over 6.5 inch depth) 50" model during CES and this is the ultimate model i'm interested in. We enlisted the help of Infocus so we could produce an RPTV as thin as this and that's why the brightness is good. I think this is not in the market yet and could debut in Q3 or Q4. Price will be quite steep (close to plasma prices) but will come down I guess. Meanwhile there are the current thicker models (16" depth) which are cheaper but without the Infocus light engine.

Other questions I need to ask :

1. Has anyone seen a DLP picture using the HD3 chip - any difference in color/brightness/contrast when compared to HD2 ?

2. Glen brought up the fan noise issue. This was a serious concern for me and I'd like to check out those of you that own or have experienced DLP TVs on whether you could discern this ? Did the noise get worse after some time ?

3. Increasingly I'm being tempted by FP models but installation + wiring + light problems and the fact that I will be using the RPTV as a TV rather than just a display points me away from FP ... but I could change Do FP models also have this fan noise issue ? (I have a HP/Compaq DLP FP that I use for biz presentations in my office and the set puts out a hell of a racket :M

4. I notice that some sets have either DVI or HDMI. Is this an either/or thing or are there sets having both ?

Thks guys ... your comments are appreciated as always ...

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

HDMI is the next step beyond DVI+HDCP, combining audio in the connector with the encrypted video. I haven't seen sets that have both, because supposedly with a cable adapter you can break out HDMI into just DVI. HDCP is the encyrption/protection stuff for HD DVI for consumer gear.

~Jon
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• a/v slave
                • Oct 2004

RCA DLP problems!

Hello everyone,

I am new to this site and have had some recurring problems with RCA DLP HDTV's now for a while and would like to air them. First of all I am DirecTV technician and have been in the field for 10 years now. I have noticed a problem with all the RCA DLP's and projection HDTV's for that matter which total 8-9 instances. Here is the scoop, when the set is connected to a DirecTV receiver in standard definition connected to a non-RF input it has what appear to be "heat waves" around the images. The only way to limit the distortion is by using the RF input. I have used monster cable's to make sure it isn't that, so that isn't it. I work out of an office which has over 25 tech's and they had confirmed the same problems. Today I connected a Samsung DirecTV HD receiver via DVI. The standard channels looked terrible, and the HD channels looked good on 5 out of 6 of them. I have connected various HDTV's both older projection's and DLP's such as Panasonic, Mitsubishi, Sony, Hitachi, etc.. all of which have not had this problem.

If anyone out there has a link to an official RCA release discussing this issue, please post it or send it to muscleshoalsrock@yahoo.com

I would like to print it out and have it on hand when encountering this situation in the future. Until then I can only inform buyer's to look closely at the Standard and HD channels in the store before purchasing.

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

I've seen RCA's DLP's many times at a place that has them fairly well calibrated and I can't say that I am very impressed with them compared to the Samsung variants. I also worked in a repair shop and they were nicknamed "Royal Crap of America" due to reliability concerns. For me, I'd want the Samsung or I'd consider JVC DILA. To me the DILA is the best looking set out there right now. I'm really impressed. That said I decided I could get a larger CRT set and upgraded my audio for the same price.

If I was 100% sold on DLP, The JVC DILA Is the one I'd buy w/o hesitation.

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

?

DILA is not a DLP. Not sure what you mean by your post.

BB

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"