X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hoyin
    • Jan 2005

Which graphics card for DVI output?

Hi a newbie here... got a Sharp 26" LCD TV true 16:9.

I want to output it via DVI from my PC.

The problem is I want to use a 15m long DVI cable.

I have heard that some card drivers cannot handle this.

Could someone recommend a card for me? I will not be playing games only need it for DVD and digital TV output.

Ati or nVidia?

And which one? There are so many and so many makes.

It has to be able to work so that I can work on my PC using a 17" LCD monitor and watch TV on my 26" LCD at the same time.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and give me your opinions.
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Plain and Simple...Nvidia...GeforceFX series 6 card

GeforceFX 6800 (NOT a GT or Ultra)

Basically a NV41 based card (6800 PCI-e) or NV43 (6600/6600GT AGP/PCI-e) and here's why

PureVideo

Give it a good read over...
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Something that may require you to re-calibrate your display for this input is the difference in DVI levels between PC and CE gear- 0 IRE and 100 IRE are not the same digital byte numbers and levels. For using the PC in a data mode on your larger monitor, this shouldn't be a problem, but if you use a tuner or DVD playback, you may have some issues with regards to black crush or white crush- but adjusting levels on the PC end (for video overlay brightness and contrast) may allow you to compensate.

Just be aware you'll need to use a calibration disk like AVIA to get the most out of your setup.

BTW, I recommend the 6XXX series NVIDIA cards, too- have a 6600 AGP version I'm quite happy with.

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• hoyin
        • Jan 2005

Wow ... thanks guys .. I will read that thoroughly.

I have asked this question on a lot of HTPC boards and I have either got no answer or some very very basic answers.

Your answer have been just what I have been looking for.

Hope to frequent this forum more as I build my system.

Thank you again.

Comment

• mattburk
          • Feb 2003

For dvi, ATI is the best way to go. See this link:

www.mycstone.com
          www.coverednow.com
          www.biarenton.com

Comment

• hoyin
            • Jan 2005

Thanks for that ..

IT does seem that because I want to use a 15m long DVI cable that ATI will provide better results.

Though I have to say it does not review the card mentioned before which use purevision.

Oh decisions, decisions .. still unable to decide .. I was just about to buy a Geforce 6600GT AGP 128mb dual DVI output.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Honestly, at the level of cards you're looking at, neither company is going to be a bad choice. Pick the card that has a feature you like better or whichever one you can get a better price on, hell flip a coin... :lol:
              Jason

Comment

• mattburk
                • Feb 2003

I like these cards. They have VIVO, and come in agp or pci express-if you have a new mother board.

www.mycstone.com
                www.coverednow.com
                www.biarenton.com

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

how much am i looking at by putting together a HTPC strictly for multimedia? I have almost 2 yr. old Alienware w/ 3.0 gHz, 1gb of RAM(PC2700 if I remember correctly, it's been awhile since i was into computers), nvidia geforce FX5900. Can I convert this to a HTPC and how much would it cost me. I'd also be using it with a PDP soon, would like upgrade to HD-DVD.
                  I think I could use my current computer, but I'd like to put it in a quieter chasis. Then what software and how much would that cost me compared to the cost of better DVD player or HD DVD player?

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Feb 2002

One thing about the article on DVI....it focuses on 2 particular brands of cards. I'm not so sure that's reflective of NVIDIA per se. NVidia makes graphics chips and reference boards. MSI isn't extactly known for quality control (I speak from first hand experience buying several MSI products over the years and some have been hit and miss).

ATI (true) is a good measure because they design their own boards and chips (where they board layout gets as much attention as the chip). Nvidia's primary focus will most likely always be the GPU.

So that's to say that DVI across a BFG card may measure differently in the lab than a MSI card.

Mind you ATI is now licensing their chip to other card makers (like ASUS).

All that said your question was what's the best CARD for DVI and that article (with it's limited choices, answers that better than what's the best GPU for hometheater).

I'd keep a slightly open mind ....hit the local pc mom and pop shops and see if a deposit and a demo card deal could be worked out so that you can see results with thy own eyes, otherwise, the decision will become a tug-o-war of "this card is better, no, this one is".

Whatever you decide, they're both great manufacturers and will probably excel at displaying a fantastic image. NVIDIA clouds the issue slightly because many manufacturers do funky things with the reference design. Some cards really shine while others fizzle....same can be said these days with lower price point ATI knockoffs.

You may want to post this over in the projectors area or the tower of power and see if anyone is using their pc over a long DVI connection and what card they're using and what the image is like for them.

my additional nickel.

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Feb 2002

BlazeMaster that sounds pretty sufficient to do HTPC (people are still getting a fantastic image with a lot less). You'd want to get it out of the alienware case and into something more desktop like the Coolermasters or the D.Vine series from Ahanix.

Obviously more money but it's an investment well spent if it's going to blend in with your gear and sit on the same shelf.

You'll want to refocus some funds and a lot of effort towards silence (big HSF's, 3rd party video card coolers, fanless chipset heatsinks and silent P/S (there's even fanless models out there now).

Most of the software part of things can be pieced together with freeware....but for trouble-free out of the box solutions there are a few really good ones to check out...

meedio (http://www.meedio.com/)
                      dvdlobby (http://www.cinemaronline.com/dvdlobbypro.html)
                      jriver media center (http://www.musicex.com/mediacenter/)
                      NVDVD (http://www.nvidia.com/object/dvd_decoder.html strictly a DVDDecoder)

all have trials and this is just something to get you started...

cheers, it can be a big topic, but it doesn't have to be a headache for a couple of buck investment.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                        • May 2004

thanks gordon for the suggestions. I thought Alienwares are good because they can be upgraded easier. How much am I looking at for all the "silent upgrades" that you mentioned. I;m also not very good w/ computers, I can probably have someone put it together for me and pay him for the labor. thanks

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"