X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Energeezer
    • Sep 2002

The other FP Display Tech--CRT. Some FAQs

Guys
    I’ve noticed that there is very little info here re CRT FP. I’m one of the only if not the only one here using it. Please read this post as it has some rough facts re this display device which still IMO outperforms all but the most expensive PJs.
    CRT was the first real viable display tech as far as I know. Of late it has been overshadoed by digital in the FP arena. At first blush it would seem that this is due to a lack of performance or unavailability of CRT. I am here to assure you this is not the case. The only people able to afford these machines in their heyday were large corporations who used them for boardrooms and the odd millionaire who had them at home. With the new digital tech these PJs (in boardrooms) have been replaced with the little 1 bulb PJs.
    As far as corporate board rooms go there is no question as to why the switch was made since the strengths of the digital PJs are right where the boardroom needs it. Simplicity, portability and lite output. It’s negatives are not noticed in the boardroom to any great extent.
    As far as home theater goes the negatives of CRT can be easily overcome (in a lot of cases) and it’s considerable advantages exploited.
    CRTs come in two classes of three flavors so to speak. There are the EM (electromagnetic) and ES (electrostatic) machines which each come in three basic tube sizes 7”, 8”, and the big boys 9”. EM focus is much preferd as it allows a smaller beamspot, electronic focus adj and basically a sharper image. As far as the size goes all 3 are suitable for home theater with the light output increasing with each size as a rule. The most popular units are currently 8” EM units from NEC, Sony, Barco and Electrohome. There are other makers but those are the big four. Barco and Electrohome are still being manufactured today but there is an abundance of parts for all 4 manufacturers as well as support scattered across North America.
    I will concentrate on the 8” units here since they are the most cost effective and popular at the current time. A good 8” EM focus PJ such as an Electrohome Marquee 8000 or Barco Graphics 808 with no wear on the tubes can be had for < $2500 or as low as about $1000 if you are willing to take a chance on a used unit from e-bay or the likes. For 3K you will get a mint machine from a reputable reseller who supports his machine 100%. It’s been my experience that many of theses guys provide better support than any MFG warrentee.
    An 8” EM focus Graphics grade PJ as noted above will give a usable resolution of &#35;X 960p. The &#35; (horizontal resolution) is not an issue with these units so I did not assign a number but I have run 1440/960 w/o any issues. Many of the units have a much higher addresable capability but in order to maintain a razor sharp image @ resolutions higher than 960p an 9” tube is generally required. Most of the 9’ ers will do 1080 P (2X HD) w/o issue on a 16/9 aspect ratio.
    There are no limitations re aspect ratio with theses PJs since the raster and image size on the tubes is adj. What that means is that any of these machines will run 4/3 or 1/9 w/o loss of resolution.
    Many of the machines have multiple I/Ps but most require RGBHV or RGBS and have no internal scaling. This means that an O/B scaler or HTPC is generally required to supply sync and whatever resolution the user deceides to apply. Theses scalers are also avail on the cheap and generally outperform any scaling done by a PJs internal scaling or the scaling done by a DVD player 480p. MOST machines will accept 480i via s-video but that is defeating the purpose IMO.
    As far as light O/P is concerned these units are not as brite as the better digitals and req light controlled rooms. That is not to say the room must be black but if the lights are on full the image will be washed out. A good 8” CRT WILL NOT leave the regular user (with light control) needing more O/P and WILL show a greater degree of detail in the image (especially) in dark colors than ANY digital.
    There have been many debates as to which is better. CRT vs Digital. The truth is that both have their place. If you are willing to spend a little more time during setup and have a light controlled room a good rule of thumb is that a EM focus 8 or 9” CRT will outperform almost all digitals. They can also be had used as I stated earlier at a sweet price and SUPPORT is avail.
    If you aren’t a DIY guy or tweaker and can’t control the light in your room and want plug and play then the choice is clear. Digital. If you spend enough cash on these new digitals you can APPROACH the image quality (as far as video is concerned ) of a good CRT, but it’s gonna cost ya.
    I’m guessing there will be replies to this thread flaming CRT by the digtal owners here. This is nothing new and the argument will not be won by either side. I have nothing against digital and indeed enjoy the image produced by SOME of these machines. My pref however is clear.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
  • Pat
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2000

Steve, you are not alone

I have a Sony 1272 CRT projector 8)

George B has both CRT and digital

Pat's Page
    Pat's Page

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I just recently gave my crt away to my son, but I have to concur that crt gives a great picture when setup properly. However, they are not for everyone. I installed, learned how to adjust color temp, converge, etc., because I lived in a rural area that lacked service techs with any expertise with FR crts. But if your are comfortable with things electronic, I believe you'd like playing with crt FPs. There are a lot of great bargains in the used crt market right now, but many of these will also require outboard linedoublers.

The nearest in picture quality I have come to my old crt is my NEC HT 1000 DLP. NEC made really terrific crt front projectors and I really feel that they have brought much of that to their dlp home theater model.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Energeezer
        • Sep 2002

George
        What type of CRT were you using?
        The reason I ask is because I have been considering getting an HT1000 PJ but on another very popular forum in both the CRT and Digital areas the guys are tellin me I probably won't be happy. I thought I may give it a try since I am the first to admit that the new digitals are no slouch.
        I concur with your comments re setup etc and it is a fact that you need to be a hands on guy or else have deep pockets to afford proffessional setup. Another option is if you have a hands on friend. I've set up several of these units for virtually nothing just cause I love it.

Pat
        Glad to hear it. Long Live CRT. :P

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

My crt as a Zenith PRO 851video grade projetor. This model was an old workhorse that was popular for bars and what not, but was highly reliable for home HT use as well. Because it was video grade, you couldn't add a line doubler, so you really had to sit far back because of the scan lines . I used it with an 84" diagonal screen. The smaller picture helped negate the scan line visibility. One thing you could do with this PJ, which I did during the last year of usage, is go into the service menu and squeeze the picture within the raster, creating a squeeze mode for anamorphic widescreen material, and that just about took out the scan lines. But it was too much of a pain going back and forth when I wanted to view old 4:3 tapes or nonanamorphic dvds and laserdiscs, of which I had plenty.

Now is you are asking if the NEC dlp I own was as good as the Zenith in contrast and black level, I have to say no. But I lived with a Sony VPL 400Q lcd PJ with a contrast ratio of about 100:1 for 5 years and got use to it. But after viewing the NEC and the Infocus 7200, they came very close to crt blacks and contrast. The Nec even had better blacks than the Infocus. But you may not be happy with anything less than a crt. I could be the oddball out here. I would not be the one to try to persuade you to make a change. Ideally, if you could get a dlp, or perhaps a D-Ila PJ for a week's trial, you then may find out if you can live with the change.

What I have always wanted, really, was something as close to the cinematic experience as possible, and the NEC dlp does that in spades. But then, very few theaters have proper setups and some have very poor contrast. Film is transmissiv, so it can't do blacks like a crt which shuts down light PERIOD.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Energeezer
            • Sep 2002

George
            Nothing wrong with that PJ however the video grade PJs are not the best solution for HT as you found out. A data grade PJ is the minimum you need to do HD and enough resolution for the big screens.
            Have you ever seen a graphics grade CRT setup like a Barco 808, Electrohome Marquee or NEC XG in action?

squeeze the picture within the raster, creating a squeeze mode for anamorphic widescreen material,
            Yes. As far as I know that can be done with any CRT FP. As a matter of fact you can have different setups for each aspect ratio.
            Some of the better CRTs like the NEC XGs will automatically pick the correct setting (assuming it is set up) when it sees the signal.
            Another way around this is to just run the highest resolution (that you like) for 4/3 and then when the smaller aspect ratios (less tall ) are used they will only use the scanlines in that area. Of course this assumes a PC or scaler. This maximizes the capability of your PJ as far a resolution is concerned. Since the CRT makes great blacks the black bars above and below any image will be true black just like the screen borders.
            FYI and OT
            I just heard the NEC 1100 is released in Europe.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Yeah, Steve, when I got into FP with the Zenith, there wasn't much information about data grade Pjs and used were just not available then, which was probably 12 or 13 years ago. The Data grade PJs I eventually saw were in the $10,000 to $12,000 range. On the other hand, the Zenith ( which replaced a Panny RPTV) cost only $3500. CDN new. So it wasnt an expensive lesson, but if I had to do crt all over again, I would certainly go the data grade route.

Still, for a newbie at the time, the Zenith was a big step forward in my home theater, and a first step into a really big screen.

If you can, you should try to see an HT 1K in action. I think you may be quite surprised.

Have I seen other high grade PJs ? Yep, I saw several different Sony models. My son was a tech for a Sony commercial dealer so I was able to see pretty much any Sony model that was currently available. Stunning picture on the 1200 series and really stunning on what I believe was a VPH 50G.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Energeezer
                • Sep 2002

Wow George
                You were a true early adopter :!:
                Just a FYI
                The D50 and the 1200 seires are now considered entry level PJs.
                They can be had for under 1500 CDN now and yes they do produce a stunning image.
                The current popular models for HT like the Electrohome Marquees, Barco 808/1208, Sony G70, NEC PG and XG will blow the doors off those models w/o any difficulty in sharpness (due to EM focus) and in brightness.
                These models can be had for around 2K CDN if you are a smart shopper.
                I really do not want to compare these machines too much to digital but IMO any one of those PJs that I listed will beat an Infocus 7200 in every aspect of image quality except light o/p and possibly geometry since its so easy to get perfect geo with a digital. I'd rate sharpness a tie.
                Of course that is assuming proper optimum setup, light controlled enviro, and is not taking into account the absolute joy of the simplicity involved with a digital PJ setup.
                It is a huge bonus for CRT people now because for the first time the digital machines are producing a good image. With thier simplicity, portability, ease of setup etc, etc the price of high end CRTs are being driven down even though they still arguably produce a superior image.
                The Sony G-90 and Marquee 9500 are considered the absolute best display device money can buy for HT by most knowlegable people in the industry and can be had for less than the cost of a new 7200. But then the setup etc.
                Of course before I piss anyone off here these are my opinions which are shared by many but are only opinions.

Comment

• Dean McManis
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • May 2003

I owned a 7" CRT Electrohome as my first FPTV, and then moved up to a Sony 1292, which had 9" CRTs. The picture of the Electrohome fed through a home theater PC was stunning compared to anything that was available in a home 5 years ago. The Sony which I bought used was visibly better still, being originally sold for $42K new. It was a commercial/professional machine and even though it was a royal pain getting everything converged and calibrated, I had not seen a better looking picture, even with the $200K HT demo setups.

But it was truly complex (with 2 phonebook sized service manuals), and it was big and heavy (over 200lbs!), and it was not quiet with 13 fans going full blast overhead. And the potential cost of replacing 9" CRTs loomed in the background.

The convergence slips over time, and i could not really get fantastic edge-to-edge focus. Plus even though most all of these data grade units can display HDTV, they can't fully resolve the resolution. Mind you, they look fantastic with an HD feed, but I wouldn't say that it's actually resolving any more than a SXGA digital FPTV, especially considering the edge focus issues.

I saw a JVC D-ILA (LCOS) FPTV and was impressed that the picture was close enough to the best looking CRTs that I sold mine and got a G1000, and later a G15. With an anamorphic lens, calibration, a gray screen and magenta filter, I am truly getting a comparable picture and I have enough light output to support a 180" perforated screen, which is NOT possible with a CRT FPTV without cranking the brightness and contrast to unhealthy levels.

Still, if you have light control in your room, a normal sized screen, a HTPC or quality scaler, room for a big box on your ceiling, and are handy with electronics, CRT FPTVs are truly an outstanding deal these days with the capability of GREAT picture quality.

-Dean.

Comment

• Energeezer
                    • Sep 2002

Dean
                    Absolutly
                    FYI
                    The Sony 1292 is not considered the best PJ for HT for a couple of reasons
                    1) It has 13 fans I believe and is the noisiest CRT in the bussines
                    2) As far as 9" CRTs go it has just about the lowest light o/p.
                    Aside from that it is considered a good PJ and has it's share of followers
                    Sony PJs are generally considered to be some of the most reliable.
                    The Barcos and Marquee PJs are as quiet as the 3 digitals I've seen so I think it comes down to model and I'm sure it is the same with the digitals.

When there is a problem with convergence drift it is USUALLY due to a less than optimum mech setup. When this occurs a greater amount of electronic adj is required which can cause drift. The problem can also be caused by faulty conv board but 9/10 it is setup.
                    You are 100% correct re pain in the ass setup. My advice to anyone considering CRT is to try to get someone (preferably a friend as a pro install is not cheap) who has set these up to help. If great care is taken with the mech alignment so that not too much elec adj is used conv should be rock solid.
                    I've setup 2 Barco 800s, 2 Marquee 8500s, an NEC XG 1352LC here in Winnipeg. The 2 Barcos have not required an adj in 8 months. I set up the first Marquee 6 months ago and according to it's owner it's solid.
                    The NEC is my own and I haven't touched it for about 6 months and believe me I'm anal re this stuff.
                    As far as replacing CRTs goes it really makes little diff whether you have a 7,8 or 9 inch tube. VDC rebuilds them for $500 USD. At first that seems expensive but you must remember that used correctly they will last 10,000 hours. The chassis on these machines seem to go forever. I've seen a Barco Graphics 808 here in Winnipeg with 50,000 hours on the chassis and its still good. I don't know how many times the tubes have been changed since a lot of that time would have been in standby.
                    As a note. For some reason VDC only recently started rebuilding Sony tubes and I'm not sure which ones they do and don't rebuild at this time. All the other MFRs are covered I THINK.
                    Your comments re screen size are right on the money. I would not recommend CRT for anyone wanting over 120 diag as you will need to either use a high gain screen and suffer hotspotting or drive the CRTs too hard. The only other option is a curved screen which in honesty I know little about except that high gain can be used w/o hotspotting, it's expensive to buy and a pain to build.
                    I'd truly love to see a D-ILA setup but due to my locale it is unlikely. I've seen LCD and DLP (1chip).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Steve, I really believe you are in love with your crt. So why even consider a change ? As long as you are not facing costly tube replacements, why not stick with the machine you now own. Sounds like you have a great setup.

My Homepage!
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• Energeezer
                        • Sep 2002

George
                        Good question and
                        I've been asked that before.
                        Yes I love CRT
                        The truth is that aside from the advantages a Digital offers over CRT I just don't like to stick with one machine too long. Until recently I've dismissed all PJs digital but I am the first to admit that within the last year or so I've seen some I quite like.
                        Don't get me wrong. Within my budget I don't expect any digital to compete on image quality with my current CRT but it would be fun to try one out.
                        The key is to do it w/o losing ones shirt. I've been able to accomplish this with CRT through carefull shopping (I've had 3 diff brands and models on my ceiling) but I'm not so sure it would be that easy with a digital since the new improved models come out so fast and reduce resale of what ever you have. That makes me nervous cause it seems that whatever you buy is a keeper.
                        Would you agree with that?

Comment

• Dean McManis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • May 2003

Energeezer,

I'm not sure if it fully came across, but I actually am a big fan of CRT projectors. The 1292Q produced an awesome picture, and I had it paired with a Draper M2500 2.3 gain 120" 16:9 screen, and the color shifting/hotspotting problems were minimal. The 1292Q was the forerunner to the G90, and it was one of the brightest projectors out when I was looking. Easily twice as bright as my Electrohome was.
                          The fan noise was fine when the movie was playing, but it was noticable in quiet passages, and when using the projector with a PC/internet.

The guy that I sold it to had a carpenter build a customer vented, insulated, coffee table enclosure for it, and he said the sound was less than half afterwards.

The Electrohome that I had definitely needed convergence touch up every time I used it. I suppose that I could have let it warm up a half hour or so before I watched a movie, but it was easier to do a 1 minute touch-up convergence before a movie to get it dialed in.

The Sony definitely was more stable, but I was very picky with the convergence, and I suppose that I just got into the habit of tweaking it before a movie. It's like polishing a car.

I got a hushbox for my D-ILA FPTV even though it was much quieter than the Sony. With calibration and the filter I was able to get around 700:1 contrast and good blacks, and the ISCO II anamorphic lens allowed the full 1365 X 1024 resolution to be used with 16:9 widescreen material.

I also have a tiny NEC XGA DLP FPTV which has even a tad better blacks and contrast, but isn't as bright or as detailed for HD material as the G15.

I was switching displays every few years before, but I'm waiting for a big improvement before my next FPTV upgrade. Something like native 1920 X 1080p native with 2000 lumens and 2000:1 contrast for $5,000. 8O 8)

Probably the biggest thing that has held me back from upgrading for the past few years has been the lack of a single digital HD connection standard (with all of the encryption/copyright mess dragging on), and the fact that even though rewritable HD-DVDs were working and promised back in 2000, the manufacturers are holding back on consumer distribution to milk DVD a bit more, and to lock down copy protection before they distribute on HD-DVD.

When the maufacturers get those issues really sorted out, and consumer priced products available then I'll look at upgrading my equipment again.

-Dean.

Comment

• Energeezer
                            • Sep 2002

I was switching displays every few years before, but I'm waiting for a big improvement before my next FPTV upgrade. Something like native 1920 X 1080p native with 2000 lumens and 2000:1 contrast for $5,000.
                            Sounds like a solid plan. Only a fool would argue with that

Comment

• Frank T.
                              • Oct 2003

While I sell and promote DLP I still hang on to my beloved Sony VPH-D50 who seemed reborn when fed with component signals from my Denon 3800.

A colleague of mine invited me earlier this year to compare his Sony VPH-D50 with the Marantz 16:9 DLP VP 12 S 2 (both component video fed).

How to create seemingly three-dimensionality in the picture: Either by almost perfect black reproduction (pro D 50) or by sharpness (pro S 2).

Another shoot-out at my facilty, D 50 and Denon versus NEC HT 1000 (sorry, the 1100 is not yet available in Europe, at least not in Germany) and Marantz DV 8400 with DVI fed revealed a similar result but the sharpness in overall picture quality on behalf of the DVI fed clearly yielded the "digital" combo as the winner, because this combo combined sharpness, color saturation and brightness where the D 50 had only color saturation and black level reproduction to counter with.

With lower fan noise levels and soon-to-be-expected (HD2+ DMDs for DLPs) higher contrasts, CRT will eventually be an extinct dinosaur.

For cost-aware consumers nevertheless a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get high quality CRTs at prices ("some assembly required"!) where you'd skip any LCD- or DLP projector of comparable, factory fresh-price.

Frank T.
                              Frank T.

Comment

• Energeezer
                                • Sep 2002

Another shoot-out at my facilty, D 50 and Denon versus NEC HT 1000 (sorry, the 1100 is not yet available in Europe, at least not in Germany) and Marantz DV 8400 with DVI fed revealed a similar result but the sharpness in overall picture quality on behalf of the DVI fed clearly yielded the "digital" combo as the winner, because this combo combined sharpness, color saturation and brightness where the D 50 had only color saturation and black level reproduction to counter with.
                                I won't argue with that but I'd like to say this.
                                The D50 is a lower end CRT unit with 7" tubes (maybe 5 but I think 7) and is of lower light O/P than most CRTs. The HT1000 is certainly not in the upper limits of digital it is worth probably 3-5X that of the D50 on the used market. Of course this is not fair either because thier is no New market for the D50.
                                I would speculate that if you replaced the D50 with a Marquee 8500, Nec XG(non LC), Barco 808, ampro 3600 or equivalent it would be a very tight race indeed. BTW. A Marquee 8500 with good tubes (used of course) is worth less than 1/2 the HT1000. The preceeding statement is not pure speculation.
                                There is a very prominent member of another forum (which I've been asked not to name LOL) whose ID is Robert Wood. He recently switched from an Ampro 3600 with used tubes to a HT1000 and claims the diff in image is very minimal all aspects considered. Of course the HTs strengths are the Ampros weaknesses and vice versa but all things considered he considers it real close. He did it for the usual reasons. Warrentee, conveince etc.
                                It sounds like I'm making a case for CRT over digital here but truth be known I AM NOT. My current CRT is an XG1352LC and I'm working on a straight trade deal for a HT1000. Not because I think the HT will make a better image but because I want to try a digital and the HT seems to be a real good bang for the buck PJ. It carries roughly the same value new as my XG used. The consensus on the other forum is that the XGLC will yeild a better image (slightly) but like I said I want to try DLP and I'm lucky. Rainbows don't seem to affect me too much.
                                If I am unhappy with the tradeout for whatever reason I would not hesitate to return to CRT.
                                For cost-aware consumers nevertheless a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get high quality CRTs at prices ("some assembly required"!) where you'd skip any LCD- or DLP projector of comparable, factory fresh-price.
                                Your comments re the budget concerned consumers willing to put up with the percieved hassle of CRT are on the money. You can not get a new digital to match the image quality of a good condition used CRT of the same value. At least not yet.
                                BTW
                                It is good to see another member with some CRT knowlege and experience. There are a few of us here but not many.

Steve

Comment

• Frank T.
                                  • Oct 2003

My VPH-D50 didn't like your introduction remark "lower end" and asked me to comment on it.

Please bear in mind that the D50 and its big brother, the G70 (better stop talking about the G70, my D50 is pretty jealous in that regard) came out in mid-1997 with the latest in technology 7" tubes.

While the G90 is - of course - the flagship, some colleagues of mine observed a rather brutal revelation of video noise (inherent in LaserDiscs) and scan lines (one guy from the industry claimed that the G90's red was not up to SPMTE specs).

One of the thing that bugs me incredibly about DVDs are the false contour effects when slight transitions of brightness appear like layers of an onion.

DLPs will show these effects, tube phosphor as in CRTs is still the best cure, IMHO. Black levels are only rivalled by the latest DLP projectors with the HD2+ DMD.

I'm afraid there is a major misunderstanding: ONLY with the Marantz DV 8400 (€ 2.300) will the HT 1000 reveal the picture quality that could possibly satisfy a long year CRT user.

As a stand-alone device with component video feed you will NOT like the picture and turn back to your CRT! Of that, I am pretty certain, especially if you are used to 'better' CRTs than the D50.

I cannot stress this point again and again: With good DVI digital video transmission, a DLP could be the better choice.

Here's a quick pro-CRT wrap-up (contra DLP):

+ cost and longevity
                                  + color fidelity (unless DVI for DLP is around)
                                  + black levels / contrast (unless you got $ 10K+ for a new 16:9 DLP)

Frank T.
                                  Frank T.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"