• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Samsung SIR-TS160 HDTV Satellite and Terrestrial tuner

What'a an HDTV without one of these?

I've wanted to taste HDTV for a long time. But I quitely sat on the side line, because I had an RPTV I paid quite a lot for, that just happened to be bought just before HD came out. (lucky me) Had I done the prudent thing, I would have waited. But since when have I ever been prudent? lol.

So, I added this DirecTV satellite HDTV receiver with a FULL complement of connectivity options. Digital Coax, and optical for DD audio, DVI input for HD transmission, component, S-vid, and composite outputs, and a terrerstrial input for HDTV via antenna or other option such as cable.

I got 30 days of HD programming, not to much really, ESPN, a movie channel, and Discovery. There's no HD on local channels, not even on things like HGTV, well, yet.

But we can hope that DirecTV will progress with HD offerings as time goes along. Through my journey to learn more, I have discovered that my local channels are now at least in part broadcasting some HD over air. So, I may investigate adding an over air antenna later, so I can further expand my HD selection.

Now to the results?

Well, even if my new receiver didn't broadcast HD, I've received benefits.

1. I process all DirecTV audio digitally now, instead of using pIss poor D to A converters in a cheap RCA or Hughes satellite boxes, I now have digital feeds directly to my MC-12, so I use it's DACs, instead of receiving an analog signal.

2. All programming from DirecTV is now output in component video. This increased the quality of my DirecTV standard channels and the DirecTV local channels. Big plus! I'll admit, when I learned that I couldn't get local channels (major networks) in HD on the receiver, I was ready to pack it up and take it back. In fact, I hung up with DTV people 2 times. But then I started thinking. If I can make this work programmatically with TiVo home control feature, the component video and digital audio might make it worth keeping even with marginal HD material. Well, it all integrated well, so I called and activated.

3. and of course, there's the HD capability. Striking realism from a projector that's just not supposed to be "that good". But I say that it is, that good, and a bit more. I watched the Bears/Vikings game last night, and my my, what fantastic color and detail. Liquidity in appearance that makes HD awesome... This is good stuff!

Someday, I'll enjoy this receiver with even a better projector. But for now, it'll do!

Lex
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Sounds great doug:T I might look at HD in a while too...and reviews like this make it all the more tempting:nono:

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Oh, I should also note, when I said that about integrating with TiVo, that's S-video only at this point, unless TiVo comes out with an HD unit with component inputs. I've heard they are coming with one. We'll see...

So, I use S-video on my TV input, and I use component video on my PTV input. So, I watch component, but if I want to rewind TiVo, that would be flipping over to the TV(S-vid) connection. Also, viewing any TiVo recorded material would be on the TV connection.

Thanks Andrew. It was pretty sweet!

The cost of entry on this piece is not cheap at 599.00. But when compared to the Hughes unit at 399, there simply is no comparison. The Samsung rocks. I was hoping it would have a back panel shot to show just how serious this component is, but there's not one on their site. Plus, when you consider this is a multi-decoding piece capable of off air or cable feeds, that makes it a better value. I can't say DirecTV will ever offer full HD. Since they won't, the terrestrial feature is a very good thing.

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

If I remember right you don't need anything all that fancy for the terrestial annatnae either so you should likely look into that...nothing like getting HD for free

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"