X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

VOOM Satellite is busting loose!

Voom is really makin' some noise in the satellite world. Especially in the HD area as they are now up to 37 HD channels (21 of those exclusive to VOOM) and have more on the way in June.

We've posted a little on this in the past but they haven't had much offering up until recently. ESPN was just added.

They have added a host of SD channels as well... over 60 as of June. From reading what many subscribers are saying the quality is better than Directv and Dish. I'm suspecting that this quality could drop as they continue to add channels which they are in negotiations with several others.

$0 up front, $0 installation and 2 packages: $39.90 and $79.90 plus $9.50 per month for the receiver.

They are beginning to have a regular cable/satellite type line up.

Channel Line Up Link

You can check out the complete details at http://www.voom.com

6/12/04: Had VOOM installed this past Wednesday and gave up all but locals/WB/UPN with Dish Network.

Another country redneck hillbilly review... :roll:

We opted for renting the receivers vs. buying for now since they plan on releasing a DVR within a few months. We'll probably purchase at that time if we indeed decide to keep VOOM. The verdict is still out.

We had 3 receivers installed, 1 in the great room with the RPTV, 1 in the HT room, and 1 in our daughter's TV room.

The installation was contracted out to Installs, Inc., who contracted it out to Emerald Coast Broadband, who contracted it out to Travis Miller who is an intaller about 70 miles away. The install went fairly smooth other than the fact that VOOM did not ship him any of the remote controls for the receivers. 8O Fortunately I was able to download an .mxd file for my MX-700 and MX-800 from Remote Central that allows us full use of the functions on the normal VOOM remote. Our daughter is using the Sidekick remote to partially control her receiver until our remotes arrive. I'm kinda surprised he made the trip and actually installed the receivers (uninstalling all my E* receivers) before he told me he didn't have the remotes. The remote is required to activate the receivers... without one you can not get activated.

I played around with the VOOM system getting it all adjusted to our RPTV first off and once I've got it all figured out and set up like I like it I'll head to the HT room and start working on that one. Chelsea's was a no-brainer as I set it on 480i on her 35" Sanyo (el cheapo) set. She mainly watches the children channels which are almost all SD anyway.

The VOOM receiver allows you to set the resolution to 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or Native (which will project whatever resolution it is being fed). I have it set to Native as this gives us the best PQ all around... 1080i or 720p for all the HD channels and 480i for the SD channels. This gives us the best stretching for SD channels as well, which is user selectable as well... you can either have black bars or stretch mode on the SD's on a widescreen set. We have the Toshiba 65" widescreen which is known for it's very good stretch modes and I give VOOM credit on this one... I can hardly tell that the SD channels are stretched. I'm not sure how they do it but I can swear sometimes that there's just no stretching at all. VOOM's stretching is better than the Toshiba's which we are happy about.

The best HD quality programming I've seen is HDNet on Dish Network (E*). It is truly awesome and has a serious wow factor to it. VOOM does not yet have HDNet (not that I would watch it that much anyway) but it gives me a good comparison to VOOM's HD channels. I'd say on a scale of 1-10 with HDNet being 10... most of VOOM's HD channels would be 8-9 with maybe a couple being 9.5 and a couple being 7. It's all still very good but I'd have to say their exclusives are better than the rest. HBO on E* and VOOM are both at about 8. DiscoveryHD on E* is probably closer to 9.5 and with VOOM 9. It's very close but there's an ever so slight difference in my setup.

SD quality is hands down better than E*. I've always been able to see motion artifacts with E*... they are not there with VOOM or at least I've not noticed it yet... if it's there it's surely not as evident to me as of yet. Once they load up their satellites with more SD channels that could change although they are supposed to have a huge amount of extra space coming to them on October 1, which btw, is when they plan on really pouring on more HD channels and more SD channels in an attempt to have the greatest satellite TV programming available.

I preferred using my component inputs on our RPTV thus far because on the DVI there is a brief white snowy screen when changing channels that's not there with component. Even with component there is brief and slight pixelization during channel changing. These are software bugs that VOOM has acknowledged that will hopefully be fixed soon. There is also a small black bar (2") down the left side of our RPTV with DVI. This can easily be adjusted in the service menu of the RPTV if we decide to change to DVI at a later date. Component appears to look just a little sharper than DVI anyway, not sure why.

Probably my biggest gripe right now is the channel scrolling. It does not skip unsubscribed channels. The software is not designed to allow flipping thru favorites either. We can flip thru favorites in the guide but not while viewing channels... we have to go thru black screens on channels we are not subscribed to. We have 9 OTA digital channels mapped in our receiver right not but due to low power output by the local stations we can not receive any of them. We have to scroll thru those as well. If you subscribe to every channel (Va-va-voom) and are able to get all your mapped locals then it might be so bothersome to you, but we don't subscribe to Showtime, The Movie Channel, Encore, and Cinemax... that's a heck of a lot of channels. Of course we can input the channel number when we get to those but it's still aggravating and a feature that will be very welcomed and hopefully soon. Oh and the program guide always brings up the first VOOM channel 100. It should bring up whatever channel you are watching.

There's several other small features that they have acknowledged and plan on working out via software downloads which is all done just like E* and Directv. To date I believe they have had 3 upgrades, all in a short period of time.

So far we are fairly well pleased and are willing to wait out a few upgrades before deciding on whether to keep or dish. We like the programming and the quality so we hope we can be patient and wait.

Now I'll take questions. :B :rofl:
    Last edited by Sonnie Parker; 12 June 2004, 19:55 Saturday. Reason: Updated info and changed channel listing to a link.
  • Foxman
    • Jan 2003

Interesting info. What does the SD stand for? Also I thought Voom was stricktly for High Def...that isnt so it apears.
    IMO

My Movies
    Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• Eduardo
      Moderator emeritus
      • Jun 2002

I'm probably not the most qualified to answer this question but here goes. Taken from encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com

Standard definition television or SDTV is one of the formats used in digital television Digital television (DTV) uses digital modulation and compression to broadcast video, audio and data signals to television sets.

SDTV can be broadcast in 704 pixels × 480 lines (16:9 and 4:3 ratios) or 640 pixels × 480 lines (4:3 ratio). The refresh rate can be any of 24, 30 or 60 pictures per second.

High Definition Television (HDTV) means broadcast of television signals with a higher resolution than traditional formats

The HDTV screen uses a 16:9 aspect ratio. The high resolution images (1920 pixels × 1080 lines or 1280 pixels × 720 lines) allow much more detail to be shown.
      http://home.nc.rr.com/ejimenez

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
        • Jan 2002

You got it EJ... SD=Standard Definition... basically the same as Dish or Directv non HD.

Foxman... VOOM is succeeding in offering more HD than any other cable or satellite company but lots of people complained that they needed to offer SD also for those channels that are not offered HD yet or never will be probably. This way you can have just one satellite company.

They also guarantee to get you your DTV/HD local networks. With their free installation they will install a rooftop antenna (as good as you need) to receiver your digital locals. Typically I've been reading that most people are getting the top of the line Channel Master antenna and if necessary an amplifier.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
          • Jan 2002

Updated the first post with a review of our VOOM.

Comment

• Robbie
            • Aug 2000

They also guarantee to get you your DTV/HD local networks. With their free installation they will install a rooftop antenna (as good as you need) to receiver your digital locals. Typically I've been reading that most people are getting the top of the line Channel Master antenna and if necessary an amplifier.
            Geee, let me see, I get no TV, no cellphone, little radio. Think they can get DTV for me????????? I'd sure like to see that antenna.

Robbie

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

I'm not a big fan of their box/interface and their lineup thus far. I'm also a little worried they will be toast in another year too.

The motivation to switch from D* is growing but I've known 2 people who have had Voom and returned it so far.

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                • Jan 2002

lol Robbie... you must be in no man's land. I've read of people getting stations at 100 miles away with the channel master 4248 and 4228 UHF antennas and a 7777 amp. I suppose it all depends on how far the broadcasters signal will reach. They would have to be at full power or no one, not even VOOM can do anything about it. As in my case, my locals are not full power... most at only a kilowatt or 2 so there signal only reaches out 10-15 miles which ain't gonna reach me.

Shane... I'm not fond of their features on their box myself. But, they are steady making improvements and ultimately I believe they will have the best boxes on the market. There is far less reports of problems with their boxes than there are Dish and Directv (read the DBS forums) as far as not working. They have some feature glitches that they are working on but that is expected with any new startup company.

As far as their programming... for me there's not any channels left that I care much about... VOOM just about has it all and much more HD than Dish or Directv and will always have more HD channels. Now my wife wants Lifetime which they don't have now but she finally gave in and give it up saying that she didn't have to really have it as she was getting tired of their movies (all the same theme). Sure Dish and Directv have many more channels if you include 30-40 shopping network channels, men's channel, stuff channel, junk like that that I care nothing about... maybe some folks do. And come October they will be adding to their satellite space which can double their HD and SD channel capacity.

Suffice it to say that they are doing more than anyone else to bring HD to homes and working on it fast. Plus they are listening to their customers and what they want in programming and a receiver. Both of those are more than Dish or Directv are doing.

As I stated... the jury is still out for us but it didn't cost me a thing to jump onboard with them and I wanted to get on before the freebie signup expired. We still have our Dish Network equipment so we can switch back if we want and be right back where we were whether they bust or not. I doubt they will bust but if they do it will probably be Rupert or Charlie buying them out... it's too good a thing to let go away.

I know of a lot more than 2 people that have switched back for various reasons (mostly because of 1 or 2 channels and impatience) but there's a whole lot more that are switching to VOOM and staying for obvious reasons (I say over 20,000 to date). I suspect we'll be staying with them as I've had some good e-mail correspondance with one of their top dogs Wilt Hildenbrand (EVP Engineering and Technology)... he is very active with the customers. He is listening and making things happen and very motivated to make things happen for their customers.

You have to consider where VOOM came from too and what their parent company owns... here's a little info:

Cablevision Systems Corporation is one of the nation’s leading entertainment and telecommunications companies. Its cable television operations serve 3 million households in the New York metropolitan area. The company’s advanced telecommunications offerings include its iO: Interactive Optimum digital television offering, Optimum Online high-speed Internet service, Optimum Voice digital voice-over-cable service, and its Lightpath integrated business communications services. Cablevision’s Rainbow Media Holdings LLC operates several successful programming businesses, including AMC, IFC (The Independent Film Channel), and other national and regional networks. Rainbow also is a 50 percent partner in Fox Sports Net. In 2003, Cablevision’s Rainbow DBS launched its VOOM satellite service, the first service to offer a comprehensive array of high-definition (HD) television programming. In addition to its telecommunications and programming businesses, Cablevision is the controlling owner of Madison Square Garden and its sports teams, the New York Knicks, Rangers and Liberty. The company also operates New York’s famed Radio City Music Hall, and owns and operates Clearview Cinemas. Additional information about Cablevision Systems Corporation is available on the Web at www.cablevision.com.
                These guys are about as stout as they come and they have already said they are going to do whatever it takes to make VOOM the number one satellite TV company on the market. If you follow what they are doing it's very apparent they mean what they say. I like it when a company listens to it's customers.

I further suspect that in probably less than a year there will a lot of people kicking themselves in the hiney because they didn't get in on the freebie. Of course there is also a good chance there will be other opportunities down the road.

Comment

• Robbie
                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                  lol Robbie... you must be in no man's land.
                  It's called mountains baby.

Robbie

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                    • Jan 2002

hee hee.... easily solved: get a 1000ft. tower... :B

Might be kindly expensive though.

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

I am concerned that Voom has said, this is coming and that's coming, we'll fix this soon, we'll do that too. Fact is, from what I have heard, not much of that has occured to date.

I looked at Voom myself, but decided to keep D* for now. It's not that I am in love with them, just not totally convinced that Voomis the answer yet.

How is the programming on the exclusive Voom channels? What about in general on HD channels? Many decent movies or all infomercial type stuff or documentaries?

I can't believe they shipped without remotes. That's pretty lame.

FYI, I heard they were going up in price considerably at some point...

Lex
                      Doug
                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                        • Jan 2002

Quite the contrary Lex... Voom has done a great deal in a short time and as stated above they are listening to their customers. 2 software upgrades in a couple months time and another in full beta testing as we speak (download expected any day). This is more than D* or E* has ever done in such a short period of time with their new receivers. Plus these are improvements that the users are requesting.

Yes... in the early stages they were a little late on getting all the HD channels promised but gave everyone subscribed free service on what they had until they did get what was promised. Not a bad deal at all.

Personally I like the exclusives. There's been some good movies with good PQ and they just this month started adding more variety and changing the themes to their Cinema channels. These are commercial free... no infomercial channels that I've seen. They have 21 one of these, 10 Cinema channels which includes Classics, Westerns/Gunslingers (I like both) along with other variety movies with old and late movies and a couple I care nothing about (Divine and World). They have the Monsters channel which is good and RAVE which plays live concerts in HD such as Chicago, Amy Grant, Sheryl Crow, Trace Adkins, Travis Tritt, Tori Amos, Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Willie Nelson, Michael McDonald, Alison Krauss, John Hiatt, Montreux Jazz Festival, and a bus load more... all in HD and lookin' very good. I love RAVE... this is worth the exclusives alone to me. Of course not everyone will care about concerts... but it's just one channel of the 21 exclusives. A few I care nothing about like Gallery, Treasure, and MOOV, but my wife likes them. Auction we neither care about.

Equator HD is launching tomorrow, June 15th: "Experience the planet's most fascinating places. Like no other channel, Equator seeks out the intriguing, captivating and awe-inspiring sights, sounds and stories that define the world's most unique locations. Travel around the globe with Equator as your guide and be an eyewitness to the ceremonies, celebrations and rituals of both man and nature. Appreciate the moment as a local does. Explore the world with fresh eyes. Feel the rhythm of life on Earth as Equator documents the extraordinary."

Sounds kinda like Discovery to me but will be interesting to see what it's really about.

They have the other HD channels too... HBO-E, SHO-E, Discovery, TNT, ESPN which D* and E* have also. Then they have HBO-W, SHO-W, Cinemax E and W, TMC, Starz E and W, Encore E and W, and just for you Lex... Playboy HD.

Yep... price is going back up $10 on the basic plan at beginning of next year (discounted until then) but they will stay competitive with E* or D* or they'll lose subscribers... they ain't stupid... they know this. The extra packs should remain the same and are basically the same as anyone else (HBO pack, SHO pack, etc).

You are right though... the verdict is still out for me as well... but hey, it hasn't cost me a dime yet. I consider this a free trial. If next month I decide to keep then we'll just rent the receivers until October and see what they offer then. If it ain't right then we'll be moving back to E* or D* ourselves with really nothing lost. Our programming is actually about $13 per month less right now that it was.
                        Last edited by Sonnie Parker; 14 June 2004, 15:41 Monday. Reason: Spelling errors and updated commercial free for the 21 exclusives.

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

ok, well, I got you to give us more information, and that was my goal. I may look at it again at some point, but that time isn't right now anyway. Keep us posted though, I continue to be curious.

Lex
                          Doug
                          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                            • Jan 2002

You dog you... :smackbutt: :wedgie:

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                              • Jan 2002

Press Release Source: SES AMERICOM

SES AMERICOM Enters into Lease Agreement with Rainbow DBS, AMERICOM2Home's Second Anchor Customer
                              Wednesday June 9, 3:29 am ET
                              Agreement Expands VOOM's High Definition Capacity

PRINCETON, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 9, 2004--SES AMERICOM, an SES GLOBAL company (Euronext Paris, Luxembourg and Frankfurt Stock Exchanges: SESG), today announced that it has entered into an agreement with Rainbow DBS, Cablevision System Corporation's satellite division, to lease 16 transponders over the next ten years to augment the capacity of VOOM, its High-Definition (HD) television service. VOOM, which offers more HD programming than any cable or satellite provider, will lease the Ku-band transponders aboard AMC-6 satellite to deliver even more HD programming to customers. The agreement, scheduled to start October 1, 2004, firmly establishes AMERICOM2Home® as the "go to" provider for DTH capacity having secured bandwidth commitments for four FSS and BSS satellite payloads since its inception in April 2002. At the same time, the VOOM contract reinforces AMERICOM's leadership as the U.S. carrier of choice for HD programming, leadership established with AMERICOM's two-satellite HD-PRIME(TM) neighborhood.
                              ADVERTISEMENT

SES AMERICOM, as part of its AMERICOM2Home® (A2H) residential satellite services initiative, worked with VOOM to develop the capability for a single dish solution, which would provide VOOM subscribers the option to enjoy a wide range of exciting offerings delivered over its existing, proprietary satellite Rainbow 1, and soon over AMC-6. VOOM's expanded programming capability will be further enhanced through the planned application of its MPEG-4 compression technology, which will be phased in over the next two years.

AMERICOM2Home® is focused on providing technical and bandwidth solutions to direct-to-home providers. A2H demonstrated an innovative dual feed (Ku FSS and Ku BSS) elliptical dish antenna system for the VOOM technical team that was both technically efficient and cost effective. The dish, which has since been adopted by VOOM, enables the subscriber to receive quality signals from both satellites even though they are more than 10 degrees apart and operate in different bands.

"We are pleased that VOOM has selected SES AMERICOM as part of an important step towards expanding bandwidth and enhancing its HD programming," said Bryan McGuirk, senior vice president of domestic satellite services for SES AMERICOM. "SES AMERICOM's AMC-6 satellite provides VOOM with additional opportunities to increase its customer program offerings, which already consist of more than 35 HD channels and 80 standard-definition channels."

"Partnering with SES AMERICOM is part of VOOM's long-term strategy to maintain our competitive edge in HD programming," said Mickey Alpert, chief operating officer for Rainbow DBS. "On the basis of their satellite platform, experience and technical know-how, we look forward to working with SES AMERICOM as we continue to move forward to meet the demands of a growing but underserved HDTV market."

Explosive Increase in HD Households

According to the Consumer Electronics Association (CEA), the sale of HDTV sets continues to grow exponentially. In April 2004 CEA revealed that January and February manufacturer-to-dealer sales of digital television sets, 88% of which are HD-enabled, were up 124% over the same period last year. That's great news for HDTV programmers and service providers, like VOOM, as the number of high definition screens ready to receive HD content grows at a blistering pace.

About AMC-6

Launched at the end of 2000, AMC-6 is a Lockheed Martin A2100 hybrid C/Ku-band satellite, which from its position at 72 degrees West in the eastern portion of the U.S. orbital arc, supports occasional video and SNG clients, as well as government, VSAT network, and entertainment customers. VOOM will leverage the satellite's wide coverage and high levels of redundancy to expand its program offerings to subscribers its across the U.S.

About VOOM and Rainbow DBS

VOOM, provided by Rainbow DBS, Cablevision System Corporation's satellite division, is the first television service to provide a comprehensive array of high-definition (HD) programming for the rapidly growing but underserved HDTV audience. With a lineup of more than 35 HD channels, VOOM delivers more HD programming than any other satellite or cable service provider. VOOM's HD lineup includes STARZ! HD, Encore HD, Showtime HD, Playboy Hot HD, ESPN HD, HBO HDTV and Cinemax HDTV. VOOM also features an exclusive package of brand-new, commercial-free channels such as WorldSport, Epics and Animania. The service also includes more than 80 of the most popular cable channels in standard-definition (SD), 18 digital music channels, and over-the-air digital broadcast channels in HD, where available. VOOM is offered across the continental United States through local Sears retailers; at BrandsMart USA stores; through O'Rourke Sales Company's independent electronics retailers, with approximately 10,000 locations in all 50 states; by calling 1-800-GET-VOOM; or by visiting www.voom.com.

About SES AMERICOM

The largest supplier of satellite services in the U.S., SES AMERICOM, Inc. is recognized as a pioneer of global satellite communications services. Established in 1973 with its first satellite circuit for the U.S. Department of Defense, the company currently operates a fleet of 16 spacecraft in orbital positions predominantly providing service throughout the Americas. As a member of the SES GLOBAL family (Euronext Paris, Luxembourg and Frankfurt Stock Exchanges: SESG), SES AMERICOM is able to provide end-to-end telecommunications solutions to any region in the world. In 2001, the company established AMERICOM Government Services, a wholly owned subsidiary dedicated to providing satellite-based communications solutions to both civilian and defense agencies of the U.S. government.

In 2003, SES AMERICOM formed WORLDSAT, a wholly owned subsidiary that markets capacity on four satellites covering Asia, and the Atlantic and Pacific Ocean regions, and connecting premier regional satellite fleets. With its combined operations, SES AMERICOM serves broadcasters, cable programmers, aeronautical and maritime communications integrators, Internet service providers, mobile communications networks, government agencies, educational institutions, carriers and secure global data networks with efficient communication and content distribution solutions. SES AMERICOM key customers include ABC Radio Networks, Antrix Corporation Ltd., AT&T Alascom, British Telecom, Connexion by Boeing, Deutsche Welle, Discovery, EchoStar, Fox, Gannett, TV Guide/Gemstar, Globecomm Systems, HBO, Hughes Network Systems, JSAT, Korea Telecom, MCI, NBC, The New York Times, NHK, PaxNet, PBS, PCCW, SCC, TELE Greenland, TV Europa, TimeWarner, Unitel Hellas, Viacom, and various agencies of the U.S. government.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              SES AMERICOM
                              Monica Morgan, + 1-609-987-4143
                              monica.morgan@ses-americom.com
                              or
                              SES GLOBAL
                              Yves Feltes, +352 710 725 311
                              yves.feltes@ses-global.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                              Source: SES AMERICOM

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"