X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Flight Of The Phoenix

This is an oldie from 1965 starring James Stewart, Richard Attenborough, Hardy Kruger, Peter Finch, Ernest Borgnine and Dan Durea. Stewart is the Captain of a cargo plane and Attenborough his friend and co-pilot. On this flight the cargo plane is carrying some oilmen and military personnell. The plane crashes in the Sahara and the survival depends on individual courage, stamina and one man ( Kruger) who just happens to be an aircraft engineer. He figures out how to rebuild enough of the shattered aircraft to enable them to escape the heat of the desert. Kruger takes charge and this causes tension between hhim and Stewart, who is not used to taking orders. There are other problems , too, like rationed water, killing heat, and marauding Arab bandits. Though Stewart and the others are skeptical of Kruger's ability to build a plane that flies, they all work toward completing the aircraft. And then we discover that Kruger , though indeed an aircraft engineer, has only ever designed model aircraft for a toy manufacturer, so the ending has penty of suspense.

Excellent PQ, but sound is just so so mono.
    My Homepage!
  • Adz
    • Jan 2004

I can't believe I missed this one, but I read in WSR that the new release of this movie got close to their highest reference level score for sound quality AND ITS IN DTS. Anyone see this one yet and can comment? Here is an excerpt from the review:

["With good dynamics, impressive pans, and all out assaults from each available channel, the DTS® Digital Surround™ and Dolby® Digital 5.1-channel soundtracks provide good demo material for showing off your home theatre.....The LFE channel is incorporated well throughout and will really rock the room with sub-25 Hz information. Deep bass is presented through each of the channels, which can become system damaging..... Just keep your seat backs up, tray tables in their upright and locked position, and enjoy the flight! (Danny Richelieu)"]
    Adz

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Adam, I believe that review was of the remake starring Dennis Quaid. I agree that the sound was great, but the remake as a whole just couldn't stand up to the original. It was okay, mind you, but lacked the acting dynamics from the likes of James Stewart, Richard Attenborough, Peter Finch, Hardy Kruger, etc.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

Well said George and indeed the review was about the remake.

Comment

• NMyTree
          • May 2004

I agree completely , George.

The remake was entertaining, but it lacked the dynamics and depth of character of the original.
          Tony

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

I concur as well, absolutely entertaining, but lacks character substance.

My 10 year old daughter enjoyed this one, FWIW.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• Adz
              • Jan 2004

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
              Adam, I believe that review was of the remake starring Dennis Quaid. I agree that the sound was great, but the remake as a whole just couldn't stand up to the original. It was okay, mind you, but lacked the acting dynamics from the likes of James Stewart, Richard Attenborough, Peter Finch, Hardy Kruger, etc.
              Yep, I said "new release" but I was thinking remake!
              Adz

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

George, I'm pretty sure I saw this on original release. Can't really remember it, but, after what you wrote, I hope the video store carries it. Personally no interest in seeing the remake.
                Keith

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Yeah, the original is clearly the better of the two. I mean the acting horsepower in and of itself is enough to make it interesting, but one overlooked person of this little gem is the director, Robert Aldrich. Some of his other films include:

4 For Texas
                  Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte
                  The Choir Boys
                  The Dirty Dozen
                  The Longest Yard
                  (original)
                  Twilight's Last Gleaming
                  Ulzana's Raid
                  Whatever Happened To Baby Jane?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"