• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Flat Panel TV broadcasts aircraft emergency signal

In the news today:

An Oregon man discovered earlier this month that his year-old Toshiba Corporation flat-screen TV was emitting an international distress signal picked up by a satellite, leading a search and rescue operation to his apartment in Corvallis, Oregon, 70 miles south of Portland.

The signal from Chris van Rossmann's TV was routed by satellite to the Air Force Rescue Center at Langley Air Base in Virginia.

On October 2, the 20 year-old college student was visited at his apartment in the small university town by a contingent of local police, civil air patrol and search and rescue personnel.

"They'd never seen signal come that strong from a home appliance," said van Rossmann. "They were quite surprised. I think we all were."

Authorities had expected to find a boat or small plane with a malfunctioning transponder, the usual culprit in such incidents, emitting the 121.5 MHz frequency of the distress signal used internationally.

Van Rossmann said he was told to keep his TV off to avoid paying a $10,000 fine for "willingly broadcasting a false distress signal."

Toshiba contacted Rossmann and offered to provide him with a replacement set for free, he said.
    This is very strange that one particular unit would make such a signal, not characteristic of the particular TV model. It does occasionally happen that electronic devices "bleed" over into aircraft radio and avionics frequencies, but not to this extent. BTW, this is a good example, though, of why we aircrews have passengers turn off electronic devices during flight, at the very least until we are safely away from the ground. If your device interferes with our radios or avionic equipment, it could result in a very dangerous situation.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Could you imagine being this college kid? Heheheeee... you get a knock on the door, and there's a squad of cops, with a rescue vehicle and a Coast Guard helicopter flying overhead.

"Sir? Did a plane crash in your apartment?"

:rofl:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

It's like:

"Officer, I knew I was late on that library book, but I was gonna bring it back on Friday, I promise!"

"Officer, I didnt' touch her, I swear, I don't even know her!"

"Yes officer, we were skeet shooting with Mrs. Beckman's fine china, but we meant no harm. We thought there was a break it, replace it policy on it."

"Are you here for the RIAA?" I swear, I only downloaded free jingles."

And so on...

That is good that Toshiba decided to replace his set free. However, I venture to guess, in a court of law, if the guy played his TV again, who's liability? The student or Toshiba? Ok you armchair attorneys, let's hear it...

Lex
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Brandon B
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2001

The student. He had been notified. "willingly broadcasting . . ."

BB

Comment

• brendon
          • Aug 2004

Hi guys ,Speaking of flat panels heres my companies latest delivery a Cessna 182T with Garmin 1000 "glass cockpit" .Chris will have to watch out as even bug smasher pilots will soon have as many toys as him in the cockpit.All flight ,engine, and nav info is displayed on the screens with the 3 round dial instruments at bottom of instrument panel being backups.
          I have been told its possible to watch a DVD on the right hand screen but have yet to see this with my own eyes (requires a dvd to be connected).
          Hopefully the pilot is keeping his mind on the the job as he cruises at 150kts and not watching filthy videos.
          This Aircraft was one of two being ferried from the US about two weeks ago when one ditched south of Hawai the ferry pilot finally got to Australia a few days ago after being picked up by a container ship!It was his second ditching off Hawai in the last several years.The last photo is how we normally receive aircraft from the factory-some assembly required!
          Brendon
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"