X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AndrewM
    • Oct 2000

Speed...it's what's for dinner

Well after about 3 years I've finally upgraded the ol' rig to something a little more fitting for todays needs. I wasn't really feeling the need quite as bad as in years past, but the bug bit me and it was time. So I'm not the proud owner of a new AMD 64-3200 system which has replaced the ol' trusty Intel 1.8Ghz P4. I threw in a MSI K8T-NEO FISR MB, 512MB of RAM to go with it. I was a little concerned about the lack of memory, but I had to budget somewhere (my original CPU choice was an XP 3000, so I jumped WAY to much), but I did buy the "best" RAM I could find, figuring if I had to do with less RAM I may as well make sure it's got some performance to it.

But now I've got two problems, first the video card is now my bottle neck - GF4-4200 128MB. I noticed some stuttering on one game, but I think that's due to a mod I did awhile back when I replaced the HSF unit with something a little more beefy. I think when I ripped off the glued on HSF unit that was stock I pulled some of the protective junk covering the GPU, so I don't think I'm getting a good connection between HSF and GPU. I also never stuck any heat sinks on the RAM. I never had this problem though, but then again in some of todays games I had to dump the resolution down to a decent level, but certainly nothing very high, and forget AA. I'm going to throw some heat sinks on the RAM and see if I can get the HSF to seat a little better, if that doesn't work then it looks like another upgrade is in my future.

The second problem is noise, I bought one of the "standard" Antec full tower cases when they first came out (you know, the one with the door covering the drives, pop off side panel, etc). I liked the idea of having a ton of fans in the machine as I was a little bigger into the whole overclocking thing, but now it's just annoying the hell out of me. The machine is LOUD with 5 case fans, 2 PS fans, 1 CPU HSF and 1 GPU HSF. It all works as designed as even with running benchmark programs or intensive games the case temps never go much over 100 degrees (F) and CPU temp stays about 10-15 degrees higher than that. But I could do without the aircraft carrier flight deck noise levels, any thoughts? I was looking at the "quiet" cases from Antec, which use just a couple of 120mm fans instead of the smaller/noisier 80mm fans, but I'm concerned about how much cooling I'm giving up, looking at CFM numbers it looks like I'll take a bit of a hit by going that way, but obviously I'll loose quite a bit of noise along with changing the pitch of the noise as well.

So the good stuff, I haven't loaded up all the good games just yet, but I've thrown on F1 Challenge 99-02, Flight Simulator 2004 (FS9), Live for Speed, C&C (along with Zero Hour). I noticed the stuttering on F1C when I was running with 1280x1024x32 with 2xAA going on, and it was a couple of places on the screen that were stuttering, but the game itself was playing very well with a nice high frame rate. With FS9 I decided to do a little torture test, so I set all the graphics levels to max, set the draw distances a little further than recommended, set the 3d clouds up to max, etc loaded up a highly detailed 3rd party plane. Then I bumped the resolution up to 1280x1024x32 along with the 2xAA and the game played just as smooth as can be, even playing in the virtual cockpits. Now I just need to load up Splinter Cell 2 and Max Payne 2 and crank the graphics levels up to some ridiculous level.

Andrew
  • amix
    • May 2004

Originally posted by AndrewM
    But I could do without the aircraft carrier flight deck noise levels, any thoughts?
    Sure! There is now a whole community around silencing the PC. Just as has been with OC and modding. One very good site is www.silentpcreview.com, maybe the best in english language.

I was looking at the "quiet" cases from Antec, which use just a couple of 120mm fans instead
    Well, I don't know the case but I would never judge a book by its cover. So many products are being sold with the "silent" label which are as noisy as the non-silent ones.

In Germany there is specialized online-shops just for silent-equipment:
    - www.ichbinleise.de
    - www.low-noise.de
    - www.noiseblocker.de
    - www.pccooling.de (also has lots of silent stuff)

As far as I know the shops are also available in English. It might be interesting to browse, even if you don't intend to purchase overseas, so to see, what all is being done (lots of professionaly modified PSUs with full guarantee, etc.)

Last but not least: Overclocking & Silence are enemies. Most people, infected by the so called "Silent-Virus" (this is the "sickness" when you silence a part of your rig, you will hear the next part, which you silence, just to hear the nextk, and so on) tend to even downclock their CPUs just in order to have a PC working in absolute silence. While I do not agree with this, I also do not consider overclocking an important thing for me, so I am very fine with a silent desktop, that is very silently audible.

Some very good review-sites are

Silent Disco Kopfhörer Mieten, Silent Party Set Verleih, Kopfhörerparty, Stille Disco Shop, Silent Events Equipment Kaufen. Silent Disco Kaufen

Well, not in English, but maybe you can ask someone to translate or use the babelfish. Especially dirkvader.de is highly brilliant ! He is very serious about silencing. And, both sites share a forum and I am pretty sure, folks would help if you'd talk in english. The fact I mention this forum is some of the great mods, they did (silencing the already silent Zalman CNPS7000AlCu and more).

I use a Compucase CI-6920, which is quite a good recommendation for silencers, since it's got dual 120mm fans and lightly decoupled harddisks.

P.S. Noise-damping is generally being considered the very last resort, since it does not do much. It is only valuable, when you purchased already the most silent components you could and you still can hear something.
    Last edited by amix; 07 June 2004, 19:07 Monday. Reason: Added recommendation about damping
    Adios, amix :dothewave:
    Stereo: Rotel RA-840 BX4, Rotel RP-955 (Ortofon MC 15 Super), Nakamichi CR4, DBX DX-900, Dynaudio Contour 1.3SE, OCOS
    HTPC-Server: P4 1.8, ASUS p4PE, 512MB, 2x 250GB, DVD-ROM, DVD-RW, G550DH, DVB-s, SATA HotSwap, GB-Lan

Comment

• AndrewM
      • Oct 2000

I did go with the Antec Sonata case and an extra 120mm fan. So I went from 7 80mm fans, GPU and CPU fan (high speed/high cfm types) to 2 120mm case fan, the PS fan (all of which are "quiet" fans), the GPU and CPU fan.

Noise has decreased by an amazing amount, before I couldn't hear anything on my system other than the fans, couldn't hear the hard drives, the CD drive (52x type), nothing but fans. Sitting at the computer I couldn't hear when the AC was on in the house and the internal unit is only 12-15ft away. Now I can faintly hear the HD's when they are being accessed (lightly decoupled), the CD drive is by far the loudest piece on the PC.

I could still make it more quiet without to much of a problem. I'm running the "Retail" CPU fan (4500rpm or so), the GPU fan isn't "silent" optimized. I could get rid of one of the case fans without giving up to many degrees. I could also go for a more silent PSU. Or I could just completely lose my mind and go for the new Zalman case, but I've got more pressing things to spend money on.

I had considered going to a water cooled solution, but I decided the trade-offs weren't worth the small (if any) decrease in noise. Between water pumps, radiator fan(s) and PSU fans there just weren't a lot of benefits for the potential issues (even distilled water can harm a PC pretty quickly if/when it leaks).

Andrew

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"