X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Flight Plan...Panic Room in the sky ?

Close ( mother and daughter in jeopardy ) but not quite. At least Panic Room was plausible. The same can't be said for Flight Plan. Basic premise: Jodie Foster is taking dead husband's body back to the States. She is with her daughter who disappears during the flight. Now behind all this is a cockamammie plot that just isn't believable. Sean Bean's talent is wasted here, as is Jodie Foster's. In fact, this played like a made for tv movie. If you just want to be entertained and don't really care if the whole thing makes sense, then by all means give this one a spin. You just may want to rent before you buy.

PQ is okay and the audio is quite good. The surrounds make you feel like you are inside this huge aircraft.

:2: for the acting talent, but ZERO stars for the screenplay writer.
    My Homepage!
  • H.Donald
    • Aug 2004

Thanks George,sounds like a movie that I will wait until I am laying on the couch,with a cold,to watch.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by H.Donald
      Thanks George,sounds like a movie that I will wait until I am laying on the couch,with a cold,to watch.
      :rofl:
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

The setup is beautiful but the payoff sucks. It's totally implausable and pretty much ruins a good flick.

The audio was first rate!

I'm glad I rented it.

Comment

• Azeke
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2003

Indeed George, I concur with you, the movie was made tolerable only because of the acting. The movie itself needed it's own flightplan, which it lacked.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Foxman
            • Jan 2003

I pretty much echo the sentimant. Is it just me or did Jody Foster really look old in this movie?
            IMO

My Movies
            Bad Pics of my system

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Foxman
              Is it just me or did Jody Foster really look old in this movie?
              You know, my wife mentioned the same thing. There were a lot of tight camera closeups and this can be telling on actors and actresses when you get a good dvd transfer. Though I felt the picture looked soft at times on this dvd, overall the transfer was okay, and those closeups didn't help Jody any. Lookout when hi-def hits the market. Makeup artists for the stars will have to be very vigilant. :P
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Just watched this one last night from Netflix. Bad, bad, bad... It wasn't too good in the first act, and only got worse. Bad acting, poor story, and for anyone that knows anything about aircraft design, bad realism. Things like having cavernous areas on an aircraft completely unused, where a person can stand up, surrounded by towers of avionics equipment like they're in a corporate computer server office.

:15: out of :5:
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Executive Decision did a much better job of the inside-an-airliner-action-movie. However it had its own plausibility issues. . . . No-one in Hollywood knows much about airplanes, I guess. :nonod:

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Brandon B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2001

Stupid plane model and half the seats from the sets were clogging up the building I worked in for about a year because our part of the company shrunk and they started using it for storage.

What the hell were they saving it for, a sequel?

BB

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Chris D
                      Just watched this one last night from Netflix. Bad, bad, bad... It wasn't too good in the first act, and only got worse. Bad acting, poor story, and for anyone that knows anything about aircraft design, bad realism. Things like having cavernous areas on an aircraft completely unused, where a person can stand up, surrounded by towers of avionics equipment like they're in a corporate computer server office.

:15: out of :5:
                      So Chris, where are all the avionics located on large passenger aircraft? Are they accessible from the cabin? Are any storage or service areas accessible from the cabin?

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Well, the answers are, "it depends", and "sometimes".
                        Avionics are usually located in racks in closet-type areas, where you can recirculate cooled air to combat the very large amount of heat generated. Yes, they are typically accessible from the cabin if needed, but in secure areas accessible by crew, not the general public. Some equipment may even be in unpressurized areas (although this is rare) which would be inaccessible during flight.

In general, every square inch of cubic space is utilized in aircraft, like submarines. Otherwise, you're just paying a lot in weight, drag, propulsion, fuel, etc, for wasted space.
                        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                        - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"