X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Denzel Washington's "Flight"

Arrrrrgh... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: This is a decent movie, that centers on a major event of a plane crash, but is really all about the lead character played by Denzel Washington and the massive demons he carries of addictions. No spoiler there--Robert Zimeckis puts that blatantly right into the opening scene.

As a pilot myself, as usual there were many aviation things in the movie that weren't accurate, such as during the crash, somehow inexplicably both engines catch on fire, and Denzel tells the co-pilot to put the fires out. He pulls the T-handles (which is correct) which in reality automatically shuts down the engines, but in the movie they keep going, and they keep using them with thrust until they finally explode or die on their own. I can live with most things like that, for the sake of a fictional movie, and often do in aviation-related films. The one thing that drew me to the movie to begin with was the idea that Denzel somehow rolls the airliner upside down to save the day. and I had thought he landed it inverted as well. I thought I had to see the movie to see if there's any possible way they could come up with that as being the CORRECT maneuver for a situation, in any way close to being realistic. Surprisingly, they actually did.

But here's what really bugged me--from scene #1, Denzel is demonstrated to not only be a play-it-loose kind of person, with personal troubles, he is WAYYYY off the deep end as a severe alcoholic and cokehead. In the aviation community, I've absolutely met my share of troubled people. We're all human. And in the BD extras, the writer talks about that being his original premise for the story--what if your pilot wasn't a polished Johnny-B-Goode, but was a total mess. But my problem comes in that the professional flying community, multiple standards are set, and strictly enforced, to ensure that each pilot is up to the task. As not just a job, but a PROFESSION, it is highly self-regulated and enforced. The only reason that over the years you've heard about a pilot here or there that has been grossly negligent like showing to fly after drinking, is that when those bad apples are identified, and those gross events occur, they are immediately removed from the profession. There's no second chances there.

Bottom line, there is NO WAY IN HELL that a person like Denzel's character would be allowed to not only fly, but rise through the ranks while he continues to spiral downwards. I don't give a hoot how good a pilot he is, or how good of friends he is with other aircrew. The INSTANT that any crew member suspected him of drinking before flying, much less EVER doing drugs or such, he'd be yanked out of the cockpit. The later scenes where the pilot union rep covers up Denzel's massive sins, even feeding him cocaine so he can testify, is beyond ridiculous.

I honestly think that setting up a story like this is grossly irresponsibly negligent towards the public. There's so many people out there that get hare-brained ideas and paranoias. And they do NOT need to be fed the thought of, "oh my gosh... my pilot today could be a crack addict... we're all going to die!!!" when there is NO chance of that happening.

Oh, another aviation-bit that bothered me is the story kept saying that as messed up as Denzel's character was, as a PILOT he "did everything more than right" and saved the day, that it was only mechanical failure. But right after takeoff, when they flew into significant weather, (which, BTW, Denzel called "Severe" to Air Traffic Control, but was clearly only moderate) Denzel clearly exceeded both procedures and aircraft limitations in how he chose to handle it, including overspeeding the aircraft. Such actions are both unnecessary and reckless, and as a safety investigator, if I saw and heard all that on the data recorders post-mishap, I'd have all sorts of red flags. There is a VERY real possibility that Denzel's actions during the weather damaged the aircraft to cause or at least contribute to the mishap at the end of the flight, but this is never even mentioned. Actually, as an experienced accident investigator myself, I really wish I could have worked on this movie, as I could have made it even better and more realistic.

I liked the redhead female lead--she was hot. As a film buff, I loved the character portrayal and exploration. As an aviation enthusiast, I very much appreciated the flying scenes and the thought and detail put into crafting them. As a professional pilot, I was disgusted with the aforementioned aspect.

Overall, I'm conflicted, but :35: stars out of :5:.
    Last edited by Chris D; 11 February 2013, 00:37 Monday.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • David G
    • Jan 2005

Thanks for the review, it kind of confirmed my misgivings regarding the plausibility of the plot.
    I'll wait to see it on DVD.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Well, Chris, I really expected this from you. Heck, I don't know how to fly and I was questioning some things that you had answers for. But I love Denzel and even though the story is a stretch, I really did watch it as a
      " film buff " and actually did enjoy it.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Yup, I agree George. And it's cool that after all this time, we guys here can pretty much guess how others are going to take particular movies.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jun 2004

I just watched the trailer , looks like a very cool movie. I'm gonna rent it.

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

A really good film except for the last 10 minutes which were cheesy. If I had been in charge of the plot Denzel would have topped himself instead of inflicting the feel-good factor on us. The insidious nature of alcohol abuse gave me food for thought. The thing that worries me is the possibility that Denzel couldn't have performed that feat of flying if he hadn't been wired on coke.

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Nigel, FWIW, I can assure you as an experienced pilot myself, there is no flying skill or judgement decision I can think of, anywhere in the remote possibility of the entire aviation spectrum, that would be perfomed BETTER while drunk or high, including the extremely unconventional situation in the film. The only situation I can think of would be something requiring superhuman strength, like if you had to snap off a piece of metal somewhere, but even then I can't really think of an actual aviation situation that would necessitate that. There's nothing at all about flying that requires strength.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                There's nothing at all about flying that requires strength.
                Maybe not physical, but I expect it takes a lot of mental strength along with a few other gifts, huh, Chris .
                My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

You're right there, George.
                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Good to know about the plausibility issues (though they were already suspected). But I'll certainly keep that in mind while viewing this as more pure entertainment than something 100% reality based.
                    Jason

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Watched Flight finally last night. I'm gonna say 7'ish / 10. The "ish" is because I'm not entirely sure how I felt about it. The premise/story is certainly interesting and kept my attention throughout, the acting was well done, it's well filmed/had good audio...it's just felt too "wholesome" for the gritty subject matter IMO. As though Disney tried to make Fight Club or something. It just felt conflicting to the subject matter which left me feeling somewhat out of sync with an otherwise good movie.
                      Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

That was an interesting observation, Jason.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

To be fair, Zemeckis isn't exactly known for his "grittiness". Makes me wonder how good it could have been in the hands of another director more suited to the subject.
                          Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Good thoughts, Jason.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"