X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Treasure of Sierra Madre, Adventures of Robin Hood, Yankee Doodle Dandy

Warners is releasing all three September 30th. All three will be two disc packages and there will be a set with all three.

Anyone going to get any of these? I've long wanted Treasure of Sierra Madre, but think I might spring for all three. Robin Hood is still one of the best adventure movies of all time, imo, mixing action, comedy, and romance into a beautiful concoction. Yankee Doodle Dandy I enjoy, but not at the level of the other two.

By the way, Warners recent releases have been of wonderful quality.

Keith
    Keith
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Keith, I'll be grabbing Robin Hood and Treasure Of The Sierra Madre ASAP. There's no way I'd let these two classics get by.
    :yesnod:

On the other hand, Yankee Doodle Dandy and I just don't click. I'll be passing on it.
    :nonod:

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Keith,
      I'll be doing the same as Tex. I don't have Robin Hood at all and only have a cheesy vhs tape of Treasure Of Sierra Madre.

Still hoping for two other Bogey films on DVD:
      TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT and
      HIGH SIERRA

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Well, went out and bought Treasure of Sierra Madre and Robin Hood (along with Bonny Raitt's Greatest Hits package and Bend it Like Beckham) at Best Buys tonight. Each feature contains OVER four hours of extras including the cartoons. If these stand up to recent Warner's releases, the remastering job will be pretty dang nice. Unfortunately, I'm so swamped right now that it may take a few weeks before I actually get around to watching them. :? I will be checking in though to see if any of you guys have had the opportunity. I know I'll watch Bogart first, as I haven't seen that one for ages, but Robin Hood is one of the finest adventure movies ever made...well, maybe I can fit one in this weekend.

Keith
        Keith

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Well, I'm sitting here looking at my copies of Scarface, The Adventures Of Robin Hood and Treasure Of The Sierra Madre. Now I just have to decide which one to watch first - Robin Hood probably, Scarface will be a late 'nighter as Jen's not into the uber-violent films.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Well I got Treasure at Wallyworld, but no Robin Hood.,Guess I'll have to go to the big city after they've cleaned up the hurricane mess.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George
              Guess I'll have to go to the big city after they've cleaned up the hurricane mess.

Huh? What hurricane mess? 8O

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

Well, I got throught the extras on Robin Hood. Very interesting documentary on Technicolor, which I've always loved in movies like Robin Hood, The Wizard of Oz, and Gone With the Wind. I never knew how much they put into making the colors stand out and how they viewed it much like painting on a canvas.

Oh, and the two cartoons, while the picture is quivery, are VERY funny.

Keith
                Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Tex, it probably doesn't belong in this thread, but a category 2 hurricane hit Nova Scotia last Sunday night, uprooting trees, flattening some older houses, tearing off roofs, flooding, and worst of all, killing 3 people. Most devastating ever to hit this area. Usually they peter out to a tropical variety before they make land, but September has been unusually warm up here, keeping the North Atlantic waters warmer than normal as well. Thjis fuelled Juan, the Hurricane. Since it posed no threat to the US, there was probably no tv coverage of it down your way.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • May 2003

Ouch George. I hope that the worst of that storm is over. :x

I went looking last week for Robin Hood, which I've had for years on laserdisc. But I couldn't find it locally. Treasure of Sierra Madre is another great one that I'm hoping to pick up. I liked Yankee Doodle Dandy, but I'll probably rent the DVD.

To me there is really only one real version of Robin Hood, and that's the one with Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone, and Claude Rains!

-Dean.

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Dean, I think you're gonna like this release of The Adventures Of Robin Hood. I haven't had much of a chance to look at it, but the few moments I did showed a gorgeous color palette - think Technicolor! - and a nice clean picture, considering it's what, 70 years old? I'll try to watch it in full and get a little review out.

George, I'm glad you made it through the 'cane okay. Those things are such monsters (even the "little" ones) that there's almost no way to get through one without some damage/loss/casualties. Especially in areas that don't normally get hurricanes.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

To me there is really only one real version of Robin Hood, and that's the one with Errol Flynn, Olivia de Havilland, Basil Rathbone, and Claude Rains!
                        Olivia is truly a beautiful woman. It's timeless.

Keith
                        Keith

Comment

• Dean McManis
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by Danbry39
                          Olivia is truly a beautiful woman. It's timeless.
                          I agree.

I did pick this up and from a quick glance it blows away my LD version with it's extra clarity and great color. What a treat!

-Dean.

Comment

• Danbry39
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Sep 2002

Just finished with Treasure of Sierra Madre. IMO, this film, like Robin Hood, deserves the categorization of being a "classic". Going against the pressure of Hollywood's cinematic trends of the time, both John Huston and Bogart strove for many years to get this on celluoid. The outcome is superb, with John Huston rightfully winning Oscars for screen play and director and Father, Walter Huston, winning for best supporting actor. The shame is that it didn't win for Bogie his first Oscar and, perhaps, a best picture nod over Hamlet.

The picture quality isn't flawless and the soundtrack's sonic characteristics aren't what we've come to expect in today's world of Matrix type multi-channel films, but the copy is acceptable and voices are extremely clean sounding. The camera angles for shots, are exceptional. Anyone not familiar with this film should know that it is shot in black and white. No problem with me personally (actually a preference), but for those unaccustomed, a bit of allowing oneself to appreciate non-color films might be needed.

Of the extras, I've only watched the cartoon (not as good as those included with Robin Hood) and the excellent documentary on the making of the film.

Hope some of you, especially those who have never seen the film, but like Bogart, have the chance to rent or buy a copy.

Keith
                            Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2001

Keith, watched this a couple of nights ago. The dvd replaced an old vhs tape, so to me the picture was jaw-dropping. Yeah, Bogie was terrific in this film. This was an actor at the top of his game while still relatively young as a performer. Walter Huston was great, as usual, and even Tim Holt who, prior to this film was a B western star, showed he could act.
                              And what a story. This is a serious addition to every collector.

My Homepage!
                              My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • May 2003

Yeah, Sierra Madre is a fantastic film, and I'm sure that I'll be adding it to my collection soon. Thanks for the reviews guys.

-Dean.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"