X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Ridley Scott's ROBIN HOOD

Although Ridley Scott is rarely favored by the critics, he is one of my favorite filmmakers. Few directors today can bring a story and character(s) to life as well as he does, even though the studios often try to murder his work. In the case of ROBIN HOOD, he takes a totally different approach than other Robin Hood filmmakers, and concentrates instead on how a common archer ( Robin Longstride ), in Richard The Lionheart's army, returns to England and, through a series of events leading to a terrible injustice, becomes the outlaw Robin Hood.

I didn't see this in the theater and chose to watch the director's cut on Blu-ray, which adds about 15 minutes to the film. I'll watch the theatrical cut someday just to see where the addidional minutes come into play. I can only say that the Director's Cut of this film absolutely blew me away. The story hooked me from the beginning and held me to the end. The chemistry between Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett was great, the characters, the settings and the battle scenes were all more than believable, in fact they made you feel like you were there, participating as events unfolded.

Don't bother if you are expecting an Errol Flynn/Kevin Costner type Robin Hood movie. This is a totally different approach. If you wanted to believe there really may have been a Robin Hood, but had some doubts, you will finish watching this film with the firm belief that he really did exist, and you just spent 2 hours and 36 minutes with him.

A huge :T
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

If the director's cut does for Robin Hood what it did for Kingdom of Heaven, you'll probably only watch the theatrical cut once. I've put this on my Christmas list, so it'll be awhile before I see it, but I'm a big fan of Scott (I have almost all of his films), so I'm pretty sure I'll like it. Even those films of his I find less compelling are always visually worth the viewing.

Comment

• kpodolski
      • Jun 2006

George, you took the words right out of my mouth. This film is great and I totally enjoyed it. I too did not see it in the theatre but had no fear buying the BD because it was Ridley Scott. Like you, I was impressed that RS was willing to tell a different story about Robin Hood than the same ol' beat up fare that everyone is familiar with.

If you enjoyed Gladiator & Kingdom of Heaven, I'm reasonably sure that you will enjoy this new version of Robin Hood.......

ken
      The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ovation
        If the director's cut does for Robin Hood what it did for Kingdom of Heaven, you'll probably only watch the theatrical cut once.
        Paul, you are so right about that! The KOH theatrical cut is a fine film, but the Director's Cut is superb.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Blindamood
          • Sep 2003

Originally posted by kpodolski
          If you enjoyed Gladiator & Kingdom of Heaven, I'm reasonably sure that you will enjoy this new version of Robin Hood.......
          Love both, and they are two of the few movies that I've watched numerous times. Moved Robin Hood to the top of my Netflix queue...looking forward to it.
          Brad

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

You guys are in for a real treat. As much as I love Gladiator and Kingdom Of Heaven, I am really and truly taken with Scott's ROBIN HOOD. It is just nothing short of genuis filmmaking. One thing in particular will grab you. When you are watching the battle scenes, especially the landings of the French on the English beach, you will find yourself thinking that this must have been how it was at that period in time.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Hmmm... I may have to watch this again. I watched it at the theater, but I didn't like it at all. But after reading your original post, I may have to watch it again and look at it from a different view.
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Originally posted by audioqueso
                Hmmm... I may have to watch this again. I watched it at the theater, but I didn't like it at all. But after reading your original post, I may have to watch it again and look at it from a different view.
                As I said, the studios often do an injustice to Scott's films. Watching the Director's Cut just may fill in some blanks and give you a new appreciation of the film.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• audioqueso
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

I'll check the DC out. Thanks!
                  B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Looking more forward to giving it a look now!
                    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

I can only find one version of this movie on Netflix, which leads me to believe it's NOT the director's cut.
                      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2004

they are on the same disc with branching

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Ah. Do ALL of the DVD's have the director's cut on them then, or just certain versions?
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

At a guess, given the previous Scott "alternate cuts" that are not too long in length, I'd say they are all that way. Certainly the case at my local video store.

Comment

• David Meek
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Well, the Director's Cut branch on the Blu-Ray was simply amazing. I haven't watched the theatrical version yet. I greatly enjoyed the movie in all aspects. Writing, directing, acting, dialog, the sets, PQ, SQ, it all came together to tell a new chapter of the story and laid the groundwork for the sequel to tell the rest of the Robin Hood story (that most everyone knows well). FWIW, I can't think of a better director/actor combination working today than Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe.

An easy :5: out of :5:

Comment

• bigburner
                                Super Senior Member
                                • May 2005

I watched it on DVD and was underwhelmed. It was simply not realistic enough. It depicted a far too 'merry old England' view of the period, which is a myth as any historian will tell you. As soon as I see scrubbed faces and shiny hair in a period film I know I'm in Hollywood. Life just wasn't like that in those days. Even the battle scenes didn't convince me (sorry George) and seeing Marion slaying French soldiers with her sword was just plain ridiculous.

I grew up with Robin Hood. It was the first television show I ever saw (in 1958 in England). I know that this film is a prequel to the Robin Hood that I know from my youth but the story just didn't fit the historical character that all people of Anglo Saxon origin know. It was like someone wrote a good historical play about the English and the French feuding in the 13th century and then decided to make Robin Hood the main character for name recognition purposes to pull in American audiences. To make Robin Hood largely responsible for Magna Carta was totally absurd. I'm surprised they didn't have him inventing penicillin as well.

Also, was it my imagination or did Russell Crowe look like he was embarrassed to be there? Perhaps that's because there was no chemistry whatsoever between himself and Cate Blanchett?

OK, OK, I am a curmudgeon.

Nigel.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                                  FWIW, I can't think of a better director/actor combination working today than Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe.
                                  I'm right up there with you on that one, Tex. I will be watching this film again soon. Oops, hope Nigel didn't see this reply...
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                    Oops, hope Nigel didn't see this reply...
                                    I'll bet Nigel's okay with us liking it as long as we don't tie him down and make him watch endless repeats of it. :B

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by David Meek
                                      I'll bet Nigel's okay with us liking it as long as we don't tie him down and make him watch endless repeats of it. :B
                                      I think that would be a fitting punishment after that scathing review... heh, heh... :twisted:
                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

I rate "Alien" very highly and "The Duellists" is a very good film too so I'm definitely an admirer of Ridley Scott's work.

The films I watched before and after "Robin Hood" probably helped to make it look ordinary. The film before was "The Hurt Locker" and the one afterwards was "Zodiac", both of which were outstanding.

Nigel.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by bigburner
                                          "The Hurt Locker" and the one afterwards was "Zodiac", both of which were outstanding.

Nigel.
                                          We definitely agree on thse two, Nigel.
                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2007

Picked this up and watched it last night. As usual George, I find your reviews spot on!
                                            -Chuck

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by impala454
                                              Picked this up and watched it last night. As usual George, I find your reviews spot on!
                                              Thanks, Chuck.
                                              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"