Clear All
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

The Thing (From Another World)

Hehe, look what followed me home this weekend:

runtime: 87 minutes
    MPAA rating: n/a

Yessir, The Thing (From Another World). I've LOVED this movie from the first time I saw it on TV's Saturday-morning SciFi theater as a young 'un! I've owned home-recorded VHS tapes and purchased VHS copies, all the while waiting on it to be released in a better medium - and now we finally have it on DVD. It's listed as a 1.33:1 release, which maybe be a slight crop as the original theatrical releases' aspect ratio was 1.37:1 according to IMDB. It's also in its original black & white - thank goodness Ted Turner didn't get his "colorizer" hands on this movie.

Co-directed by Howard Hawks (Sergeant York, Red River, Rio Bravo, Rio Lobo) and Christian Nyby (Gunsmoke (TV), Bonanza (TV), Kojak (TV)) this film is based on the screenplay by John Lederer that is in turn based on the story Who Goes There? by famed SciFi author John W. Campbell. The film stars:
    1. Margaret Sheridan (One Minute To Zero, I The Jury, Man's Favorite Sport?) as Nikki Nicholson the administrator
      Kenneth Tobey (12 O'Clock High, The Wings Of Eagles, MacArthur) as Capt. Hendry the pilot
      Douglass Spencer (Shane, This Island Earth, The Three Faces Of Eve) as Ned Scott the reporter
      Robert Cornthwaite (War Of The Worlds, Ghost & Mr. Chicken, Colossus) as Dr. Carrington, head of the polar station
      James Arness (Battleground, Them!, Gunsmoke (TV)) as The Thing

Visually, this DVD shows the 50+ year age of the print. Some dirt and grain are evident throughout, but it's not terribly distracting. The DVD format also reveals the limitations of detail in the originals with some scenes looking very soft with indistinct shadings of greys, while others show good detail and grey-scale fidelity. Aurally, this baby is flat mono. Again, while showing its age with some occasional muddled sounding dialog, overall the soundtrack is fairly clean and listenable.

This movie takes me back to a time when movies were more than CGI, special effects, and vehicles for gratuitous violence. They were scripted and staged to tell a story, and they did so with an eye to humor, wit and intelligent dialog. The interplay between the characters along with a good story are what makes this movie - and others of its generation - stand out above the technically superior films of today. Give it a look, I think you'll like it.

P.S. For you airplane buffs, there is some sweet footage of a polar-equipped C-47 (okay, DC-3 or R4D) in flight and also, making skid-equipped take offs and landings.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Man, I gotta get this. I have had a VHS tape for some time now, but haven't played it for awhile so it may have dropouts. DVD is the thing, though. Next one I'd like to see on dvd is the original King Kong, which again I only have on tape.

When I saw The Thing in the theater. I damn near pissed myself when that monster thawed. Jim Arness never looked so scary.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2002

And the best line in the movie is when Kenneth Tobey says, "Is that you Marshall Dillon?"

In truth, again giving away my age, I saw this movie probably 20 times when I was a kid, mostly at my junior high, go Paul Revere, when they'd either show this or Them (the one about the mutant radiated ants) during rainy days. For sure, I'm going to at least rent it. Haven't seen it since I was fourteen.

Once again, a great review by the review meister, David, who appreciates the differences between special effects and a good story line.

Keith
      Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Got THE THING today at Walmart. Also got these:

CHICAGO
        SINATRA CLASSIC DUETS
        NATIONAL LAMPOON'S VACATION ( finally in widescreen)
        OMEGA MAN
        SOYLENT GREEN
        THE HAUNTING ( the original directed by Robert Wise)

I have been waiting ages for Omega man on dvd to replace my worn out vhs tape that recorded from a late movie on tv.

Keith:
        I was 15 years old when The Thing came out. Took my girlfriend to see it after school and she was climbing all over me whenever the scary stuff happened. That's why I can never forget the film. It was a great " chick all over you flick."

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

It was a great " chick all over you flick."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

I was 15 years old when The Thing came out. Took my girlfriend to see it after school and she was climbing all over me whenever the scary stuff happened. That's why I can never forget the film. It was a great " chick all over you flick."
            Wish that happened to me on those cold, rainy days in junior high. ops:

You really did a nice haul today, George. Got Chicago myself this week. The Haunting still stands as one of the greatest horror movies imo. Let me know how loud the banging is through your sub.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Keith, re: The Haunting

This was the most realistic and scariest ghost film I had ever seen, I still get goose bumps when the banging starts.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I've never saw this film. I'll have to give it a look see. Thanks for the tip gentlemen.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

Gentlemen??? 8O

Is John talking to US? :

David - HTGuide flunky
                  Our "Theater"
                  Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

John's just being nice to us... :LOL:

John, you just have to see The Haunting. It is classic stuff, directed by Robert Wise whe he was at the top of his game. Julie Harris does a magnificent acting job here as well. Good story. Good characterization. And scary as hell.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"