X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • choppi
    • Nov 2004

LCD monitor for VHS movies

Hello - This is my first post on this forum.
    I have a large (1,500) collection of VHS movies and, through my system, they sound very good. Therefore, I have no desire to switch to DVD (although, in time, I will get a DVD player for the same reason I finally got a CD player; the analogue formats are insufficiently supported by new output). I have been using a Sony Trinitron 20" monitor which I found in a dumpster about ten years ago. It looks good but has the word VIDEO on the screen (at top right) at all times. The tuner is broken (and I have not watched TV for 10 years and do not miss it) and I use an RCA cable to send the picure from my VCR player to the monitor.
    My question is: I now wish to buy a LCD monitor of about 32" size (in movie format, not tv format) to watch from 9 or 10 feet distance.
    How will my VHS movies look on an LCD monitor of this size at this distance ? Is there a particular "resolution refinement circuit" that I should look for in the monitor I select ? I would especially like to hear from someone who has actual experience with the VHS format on the new high-rez monitors.
    Any help greatly appreciated. I would hate to spend $2,000 or more and get it wrong !
    Thanks - choppi@mac.com
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Earl, welcome to The Guide. :welcome:

A hi-res monitor will definitely make plainly visible the lower resolution inherent in a VHS tape, but with a 10' viewing distance for a 32" monitor you'd be past the optimal distance for DVD viewing, which (I'm thinking) will be just about right for a VHS tape. The vertical resolution of VHS is about half that of DVD so at 10' you should be at enough of a distance that the image will look fairly seamless. Any closer though and the low resolution will be VERY obvious.

Good luck and keep us posted. 1500 tapes, eh? 8O

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Uncle Clive
      Former Moderator
      • Jan 2002

A Warm Welcome :wink:

Using very good cable/s would also help in this reguard.
      CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"