X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

VHS rules!

thought that might make you look I cme across this and thought it was a good sign for us DVDphiles

DVD surges, VHS rentals sag in U.S.
    Sales of DVD movies in the U.S. have skyrocketed, but at least partially at the expense of the video rental business, Variety reports.

The report said DVD rentals have shot up 174% in the past year, but during the period from January to June of this year, video rentals have slipped from $4.22 billion to $4.1 billion -- a drop of 3%.

Although the U.S. video rental industry registered 1.35 billion rentals (more than double the number of movie theatre tickets sold), there has been a 7% drop in video rentals -- 98 million fewer rentals, Variety said.

The plunge in rentals is being blamed on the roaring success of DVDs. Although sales of VHS copies of movies has held steady, between 40 and 50 million more DVDs have been sold this year compared to 2000, the report said.

• Matt Broeska
    • Nov 2000

i'm still not fully convinced dvd is going to catch on. dvd fills up the screen with those obnoxious black bars. :M i much prefer seeing the whole picture when i watch ben hurr on vhs.
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
    That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Comment

• KennyG
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Sep 2000

VHS rules alright...the SEWER!!!
      Yes our favorite medium has caught on, but at what price? So far none, but we can all see the writting on the wall...rental pricing is coming, and will ALL movies continue to be released in OAR?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

I pretty much mirror Kenny's thinking on this.Rental pricing is just around the corner. But we'll adjust. I remember back in the early days of VHS when I was a member of Columbia House and new releases were like $80 or $90. I would wait a few more months until the price dropped. I'll do the same with DVD if I have to.

But even with rental pricing, there will always be a blockbuster or two released at sellthrough prices.

With all this, I am still happy to see DVD's success and the good things it has done for filmmakers who want people to view their films the way they were photographed. I know a lot of people who hated the black bars at first who now will only watch widescreen titles.

My Homepage!
        My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Yeah, it's kind of a sad commentary that we want DVD to be successful, but not *TOO* successful; I hope we won't look back some day as 2000/2001 being the "golden age" of DVD. Like Kenny, I expect rental pricing/releases and a lot of the other obnoxious corporate money making tricks to migrate from VHS to DVD soon.

Hey Matt, ya know, I hate those black bars, too! That's why I bought a funny shaped screen and a computer- get's rid of them. Just say *NO* to NTSC... that's my motto!

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I'm curios is there that much of an incentive for blockbuster et al. to push for a rental window? Given that they can buy the DVD cheap and rent it out then they seem to sell them used for $15 (cdn) so in essence they are only loosing $5-10 on each disk from a cost persective. ie all they have to do is rent it once or twice and they're in the clear..seems like a great situation for them unlike VHS where they'd have to rent it out 15 times or so before they start making money on a title...just wondering who would want a rental window and why?

Comment

• rlabarge
              • Jan 2001

The studios would like to see a rental window for DVD so that they can maximize their revenue stream from a movie.

In the VHS world a movie comes out as a theatrical release, then in pay per view (VHS rental, DirecTV or cable) and then finally on VHS direct sell through.

In the DVD world the studios are missing out on the rental income. Blockbuster is simply buying copies of new DVD releases at retail prices, rather than at inflated "rental" prices, and then they rent them out just like VHS tapes. So in the DVD business the studios are not maximizing their revenue stream since there is no rental income for their DVD products.

A number of companies are working on DVD discs that can be used in a rental window business model. The concept is similar to DIVX, but without a custom DVD player, and no connection to a central server required. There is a segment of the market that prefers to rent movies, rather than collect them, and if the studios can offer them a rental DVD product at $5.00 or less per copy they can make a lot more money than they do now. By the way I dont plan on ever releasing a title with a rental window, but then I dont use Region Coding or Copyright Protection either!

Ralph LaBarge
              Managing Partner, Alpha DVD
              Author, "DVD Authoring & Production"
              rlabarge@alphadvd.com
              Ralph LaBarge
              Managing Partner, Alpha DVD
              Author, "DVD Authoring & Production"
              rlabarge@alphadvd.com

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

I can see it now. Good evening Mr. Phelps. This DVD will self distruct in 3 days. Please don't have it in the player at that time, cause you can't just get up and walk off like Mr. Phelps does, lol.

All I can say is, if they go back to the $90.00 protection pricing, expect a major lawsuit from some DVD collective. I think it's went to far to big to turn off the faucet now. It would only be deemed as some kind of collusive business practice. They turned the bull loose. Now, it will be extremely hard to get him back in the coral.

Great thread and info folks...

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• KennyG
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Sep 2000

With VHS already setting the rental pricing precedent I don't see how a DVD contingent can win.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Looks like we'll just have to wait and see on this rental pricing thing, but as Lex says, there will be a lot of peed off dvd collectors. Warner was one of the leaders in sell-through dvd pricing. I wonder what their thinking is today, and will they still fight to retain sell-through pricing of dvds.

My Homepage!
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• GregoriusM
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Oct 2000

I agree. I can't see DVD rental and pricing being a multiple of VHS tapes. A percentage higher as it is now, but not anything more than that.

Because not everyone sees DVD as THAT great compared to VHS. (Don't yell at me! It's true!)

And I think that if DVD pricing for both rental and purchase is too high, you're going to see those who have both a DVD player and a VHS player going back to renting VHS for the less than critical surround sound movies.

And those who would have bought a DVD player, will buy a cheap VHS player instead.

IMHO.
                      Gregor

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"