X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Night and the City (1950)

Finally found time to crack open a Criterion release on Blu that'd been on the shelf for nearly a year. A classic film noir, any fan of the genre (as I am) should love it. Two cuts (US and UK) were released and each is available. Looking forward to watching the UK cut to compare (the director, Jules Dassin, did prefer the US cut).

I was also testing some gear. I got a new projector in late summer but have had little time to use it. Was wanting to try the B&W Cinema setting (5500K colour temp, matching the lamps in old cinema houses). Very nice feature. Also trying out a new player. My Oppo went wonky with Blu, though is still fine with other discs. My attempts at a fix (not extensive yet) haven't worked. I was bummed as I'd hardware modded it for all-region play and have been without access to my other region discs for too long. My new player is all-region and 3D (the new projector is 3D so I thought--why not). Did a quick 3D test and all works well. Not a huge fan but the kids like it.

Anyway, gear all works as it should and the movie is great. Highly recommended to noir fans.
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

did not realize there were two cuts....
    may get around to viewing the UK version sometime.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"