This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

Millions are more interested in the GF trilogy. GF and GF Part 2 are #1 and #3 on IMDB's list of top 250 movies.
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

Sorry dude, not to argue, but IMDB top 250 doesn't correlate to what people want on blu-ray the most. In a straight up blu-ray "wish list" Star Wars beats Godfather any day of the week. Not saying I'm not glad to see Godfather come out on blu-ray.

Are Shawshank Redemption and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest two others that you can't wait to get on blu-ray to show off your 1080p display and HD audio??
      -Chuck

Comment

• Gremal
        • Apr 2007

What a funny question. I don't buy movies to "show off my 1080p display or HD audio". I buy movies because I enjoy watching them.

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Oh geez. Is that why you bought all the stuff in your avatar? So you could watch Shawshank w/surround sound? You're just arguing for the sake of arguing now. See ya.
          -Chuck

Comment

• Gremal
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by impala454
            Oh geez. Is that why you bought all the stuff in your avatar? So you could watch Shawshank w/surround sound? You're just arguing for the sake of arguing now. See ya.
            Nice shoot from the hip, duck and cover routine there! This isn't about my gear. It's about whether BD's rollout warrants support or denigration, which was my beef all along. But yeah, now that you question why I bought my gear I suppose I've gotta reply.

In case you haven't noticed, a good HT system will reveal nuances in dialog, soundtrack and audio cues regardless of what you're watching. You don't have to demo a battle scene in LotR to get the most out of your HT system, unless maybe you only have your system to show off for friends on the weekend. That's not why I'm into the hobby.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I still think there are many impressive titles in the cue for BD release and the rollout is not worth criticizing.

Comment

• btf1980
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Gremal
              What a funny question. I don't buy movies to "show off my 1080p display or HD audio". I buy movies because I enjoy watching them.
              I'm not buying that. If that were the case, then DVD or hell even VHS would suffice.

Now, I do enjoy watching movies, but the entire draw of blu-ray and hd dvd was better picture and sound. What else was there? That's why I dove in, but i'm speaking for myself. What other reason is there to buy blu-ray other than the fact that it looks and sounds better than dvd? Liking movies is not enough. Most people like movies, but it's still only a select few with blu-ray players.

For the record, i've been a blu-ray supporter from day 1.
              A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• Ken49r
                • Dec 2007

In case you haven't noticed, a good HT system will reveal nuances in dialog, soundtrack and audio cues regardless of what you're watching. You don't have to demo a battle scene in LotR to get the most out of your HT system, unless maybe you only have your system to show off for friends on the weekend. That's not why I'm into the hobby.
                True a good HT will. But didn't your HT already reveal those qualitys before Blue-ray? Are you going to upgrade ALL of your DVD's to Blue-ray copies or will you be selective? Your arguing over movie's that have multiple awards for their soundtracks and other areas comparing them to a movie so quiet you can hear a pin drop? It's like saying chose classical over rock because I say its better.

Don't we spend thousand$ so our systems are optimized to show off the slimmest advantages in AQ and PQ?
                And I believe you did say it.

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Now, Ken, you bring up a good point. When the world switched from VHS to DVD, I'm sure we all pretty much replaced our entire video collection over time. I'm going to guess that none of us still have movies we watch on VHS , just because it's not worth it to replace that movie with DVD.

But with BD, now, although I'm buying a lot of movies that I like, I find that I'm only replacing my favorites, and buying NEW movies on BD. There's lots of mediocre movies, or good movies that are much older, in my DVD collection that it's not going to be worth it to me, to replace on BD, until the price comes WAY down, and I can pick them up in a bargain bin. Maybe less than $10. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of "Real Genius", or maybe "Airplane". Good, older, funny movies, that I replaced from VHS on DVD at a semi-reasonable price. If those come out on BD, I won't be rushing to replace those again, until I walk through Wal-Mart and see them in a bargain bin for $9 or something.

In a different category of movie(s), I already bought the Godfather collection on DVD. Great movies, but I don't know that it's going to be worth it to me, to replace them on BD.
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• Gremal
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by btf1980
                    I'm not buying that. If that were the case, then DVD or hell even VHS would suffice.
                    Those don't convey the nuances I was speaking of because they lack 1080p and high def audio.

Now, I do enjoy watching movies, but the entire draw of blu-ray and hd dvd was better picture and sound.
                    And you agree with impala that it takes a film like Star Wars or LotR to "show off" those advantages? That is an indefensible position.

What other reason is there to buy blu-ray other than the fact that it looks and sounds better than dvd?
                    Exactly the point I've been making. So why is it that some are not getting excited about the advantages of Blu-ray until Star Wars is announced by Lucasfilms.

Liking movies is not enough.
                    What else could inspire you to put together a good HT system?

True a good HT will. But didn't your HT already reveal those qualitys before Blue-ray?
                    How could my system reveal nuances like those in 1080p CODECs or LPCM audio before Blu-ray?

Are you going to upgrade ALL of your DVD's to Blue-ray copies or will you be selective?
                    Given the chance? All of them. That's what I'm saying. It's a no-brainer. If you're interested in quality, the advantages of Blu-ray are too seductive to pass up for an HD hobbyist.

Your arguing over movie's that have multiple awards for their soundtracks and other areas comparing them to a movie so quiet you can hear a pin drop?
                    Now, Ken, I know you're into classical. Are you saying quiet passages of Mahler are any less important to resolve than bombastic passages? It's all part of the same goal. If you have a passion for an artist and his work, you want to hear it in the best definition possible. By the same token, if I like the work of Scorsese, I'll want to hear the cacophony of the Tibetan monk performance in Kundun as much as the cars blowing up in Goodfellas. As a jazz fan, I understand that silence and quiet passages can be more important than bombastic ones. So the concept that sound is more important in action movies is a complete nonstarter for me. It just doesn't ring true.

although I'm buying a lot of movies that I like, I find that I'm only replacing my favorites, and buying NEW movies on BD. There's lots of mediocre movies, or good movies that are much older, in my DVD collection that it's not going to be worth it to me, to replace on BD, until the price comes WAY down, and I can pick them up in a bargain bin.
                    That's logical, but those bargain bins may come at the cost of the format. Because if HT aficionados like us aren't willing to splurge on BD, no one will be.

In a different category of movie(s), I already bought the Godfather collection on DVD. Great movies, but I don't know that it's going to be worth it to me, to replace them on BD.
                    That's also logical. For all we know, Paramount could screw up the transfer. But I would predict the transfer is done with great attention to detail. We'll have to wait and see.

Comment

• impala454
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007

Nice shoot from the hip, duck and cover routine there!
                      Duck and cover routine? You're seeking out anyone who disagrees with you and firing away. It doesn't make for good discussion honestly. We understand that you're perfectly fine w/the current/announced releases. Why can't you understand that others are not?

This isn't about my gear. It's about whether BD's rollout warrants support or denigration, which was my beef all along.
                      You mentioned that "millions are more interested" in the GF trilogy because they're in the IMDB top 250. I was responding to what you said, not derailing my own thread. I still maintain that's a silly notion to go to the IMDB top 250 to determine the most desireable blu-ray discs.

But yeah, now that you question why I bought my gear I suppose I've gotta reply.

In case you haven't noticed, a good HT system will reveal nuances in dialog, soundtrack and audio cues regardless of what you're watching. You don't have to demo a battle scene in LotR to get the most out of your HT system,
                      No one said you have to have LOTR to get the most out of your system. But I don't see myself rebuying Dazed n Confused or Office Space (a couple of my favorite comedies) on blu-ray so I can listen to the newly revealed nuances in the dialog :roll:.

unless maybe you only have your system to show off for friends on the weekend. That's not why I'm into the hobby.
                      That's not at all why I have my system. Having good demo material definitely does not imply what you said. I'll thank you kindly to not make assumptions like that, as it comes across extremely condescending and goes against the spirit of this message board.

Now that we've got that out of the way, I still think there are many impressive titles in the cue for BD release and the rollout is not worth criticizing.
                      Well that's great that you think that, I assume you were the one who chose ">20" in the poll? Just curious, which 20+ out of that list are you planning to purchase and which of those are re-buys? If I hear of some excellent reviews of specific ones it may sway me to double-dip on some that I might not have otherwise.

I think you take our criticism of the releases as some kind of strike against blu-ray. It really has nothing to do with blu-ray as a format, and more of a criticism of the studios themselves for being lazy on these releases. None of us are saying that sci-fi shoot em ups must be on blu-ray to validate the format. But movies like Star Wars (hello, Lucas pretty much invented high quality A/V in movies) represent the pinnacle of PQ & SQ, and are probably some of the most often watched movies in existence. I don't think it's too much to criticize Lucasfilm & Newline for not releasing their blockbusters (which revolutionized the industry) on blu-ray.
                      -Chuck

Comment

• btf1980
                        • Aug 2007

Those don't convey the nuances I was speaking of because they lack 1080p and high def audio.
                        Were you any less of a film lover before those nuances? What did you do 2 years ago before blu-ray or hd dvd? Watch movies in absolute disgust because you missed all the cues and nuances that weren't conveyed?

And you agree with impala that it takes a film like Star Wars or LotR to "show off" those advantages? That is an indefensible position.
                        No, I didn't say that exactly, but it does hammer the point down quite well. It's like Dark Side of The Moon on SACD. Apart from the fact that it is a terrific album, pretty much everyone with an SACD player has this disc because it sounds fantastic. Demo worthy material can also with grade A quality as well. You seem to insinuate with your posts, or you have an aura that "showing off" is not the mindset of a HT enthusiast. If you truly believe that, half the gear in your signature would not even exist. I'm pretty sure you don't need B&W 802D's to hear the nuances in dialog. That's pretty expensive talking right there.....lol.

Exactly the point I've been making. So why is it that some are not getting excited about the advantages of Blu-ray until Star Wars is announced by Lucasfilms.
                        Before bluray, people got excited when films like Star Wars, The Matrix and LOTR were announced on DVD. Why? Because those are movies people want to see. They are huge and their fans are legion. They are also hugely cinematic movies, with enveloping scores that are highly immersive. People wait on line for days to score tickets at the theater to see films like that, because drumroll please....they like them, much more than what many critics consider to be quality movies. Who wouldn't want these on blu-ray? Nobody camped out for days in the blistering cold to see Sense & Sensibility, Pride & Prejudice, The English Patient or Chocolat. I'm not saying that these movies would not benefit from blu-ray, but you'd have to be crazy if you can't see why more people would want Star Wars on blu-ray over something like Pride & Prejudice. Hell man, we have THX thanks to Star Wars. Might I even add that B&W speakers are used at Skywalker Ranch. Star Wars revolutionized the AV industry as we know it. I don't think it's surprising that the demand for it would be tremendous, whether it be for the millions of fans who want to see the best version of the films, or for those who want to show off demo material. There is no movie more justified to be on blu-ray than this. I remember reading somewhere that many people got into HT as a hobby because of Star Wars!! Nobody gets into HT as a hobby initially because of dialogue driven movies.

What else could inspire you to put together a good HT system?
                        Gaming. I'm a pretty big time gamer. Also, they might be dead fish in the water, but I still enjoy SACD and DVD-A now and then. I also don't think you can accurately compare SACD and blu-ray. Blu-ray had a massive trojan horse by the name of the PS3. Gamers indirectly saved the format. Without the PS3, blu-ray would have most likely had the same fate as HD DVD.
                        A camera, passport, good music, good food and good company is all I need.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Chris D
                          But with BD, now, although I'm buying a lot of movies that I like, I find that I'm only replacing my favorites, and buying NEW movies on BD. There's lots of mediocre movies, or good movies that are much older, in my DVD collection that it's not going to be worth it to me, to replace on BD, until the price comes WAY down, and I can pick them up in a bargain bin. Maybe less than $10. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking of "Real Genius", or maybe "Airplane". Good, older, funny movies, that I replaced from VHS on DVD at a semi-reasonable price. If those come out on BD, I won't be rushing to replace those again, until I walk through Wal-Mart and see them in a bargain bin for $9 or something.

In a nutshell, I'm pretty much the same as Chris. And I even waffle sometimes on the odd favorite. For example, if the transfer on dvd was excellent, I'll sometimes pass on the Blu-ray but may pick it up later when it becomes available at a bargain price. I'm pretty much eyeing new releases right now.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ken49r
                            • Dec 2007

Huge List of New Upcoming Disc Releases, Mostly Budget Releases Posted in Amazon Pre-orders, Studios, US Releases on June 25th, 2008 by Dave. We are certainly a bit shocked by the huge list of new titles listed at Amazon today, most of them from small distributors, and many are budget titles from Blu-ray Only.
                            A quote from the link below. It seems he shares the same opinion.

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Ken49r
                              Zero, I own a Blu-ray player. At $30.00 a pop for Blue-ray that is almost equivalent to 2 movie tickets and a soda or 2 SACD's.
                              Yes, $30 is two tickets and a drink. But how is that a GOOD comparison? Both scenerios, you're still getting ripped off. So for $30, buy it, watch it as many times as you want. Watch it with as many people as you want. And spend $2.50 for a box of microwave popcorn. :T
                              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Gremal
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by btf1980
                                Were you any less of a film lover before those nuances? What did you do 2 years ago before blu-ray or hd dvd? Watch movies in absolute disgust because you missed all the cues and nuances that weren't conveyed?
                                No, I wasn't less of a film lover, but I often was tempted to upgrade to new DVD editions featuring remastered picture and sound. If you care about experiencing the film, you want to optimize the video and audio. Why else are we here?

You seem to insinuate with your posts, or you have an aura that "showing off" is not the mindset of a HT enthusiast. If you truly believe that, half the gear in your signature would not even exist.
                                Regardless of what you think, Kevin Hayes builds amps so his customers can enjoy listening, not "showing off".

I'm pretty sure you don't need B&W 802D's to hear the nuances in dialog. That's pretty expensive talking right there.....lol.
                                The dialogue goes to my center, which is an even bigger speaker than the 802Ds. And having heard it, I can tell you it makes a big difference in detail and even tone. Or did you think speakers made less of a difference in reproducing the audio of human voices as opposed to bombastic sound effects?

Before bluray, people got excited when films like Star Wars, The Matrix and LOTR were announced on DVD. Why? Because those are movies people want to see. They are huge and their fans are legion. They are also hugely cinematic movies, with enveloping scores that are highly immersive.
                                Sure. Hopefully they'll get even more excited when SW is announced for BD.

... you'd have to be crazy if you can't see why more people would want Star Wars on blu-ray over something like Pride & Prejudice.
                                Well, I'm not sure why you're setting up that strawman. I never said I couldn't see why more people would want SW over P&P of course.

I remember reading somewhere that many people got into HT as a hobby because of Star Wars!! Nobody gets into HT as a hobby initially because of dialogue driven movies.
                                You shouldn't believe everything you read on the internet.

Gaming. I'm a pretty big time gamer.
                                Great point. Gaming is yet another reason to maximize the performance of your HT and pursue games on BD rather than DVD. You wouln't play one of the earlier Fight Nights now that FN Round 3 is available.

I also don't think you can accurately compare SACD and blu-ray.
                                Both are high def formats featuring high resolution, which were developed by Sony. Both faced challenges in the marketplace battling against competing HD formats as well as entrenched, established formats. I think the comparison makes perfect sense.

Blu-ray had a massive trojan horse by the name of the PS3. Gamers indirectly saved the format. Without the PS3, blu-ray would have most likely had the same fate as HD DVD.
                                Great point, but don't count your chickens yet. BD still has a ways to go before we can assume it will become a successful format, and when I see reactions to BD rollout as lukewarm as some of the responses here, it's a bit discouraging.

Comment

• impala454
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2007

BD still has a ways to go before we can assume it will become a successful format, and when I see reactions to BD rollout as lukewarm as some of the responses here, it's a bit discouraging.
                                  Isn't that the truth. Hopefully the studios will get their act together and start pulling out the big guns by Christmas. Surely by Oct-Nov we'll start seeing big title announcements plus some significant price reductions in hardware (and hopefully a little more in software). No doubt Iron Man will be released within a few months, The Dark Knight and Incredible Hulk should be out by Christmas. I bet Hancock will be out within a few months at most. WALL-E should be a huge blu-ray hit. Combine those new releases with even one of the "big guns" like Star Wars or LOTR, toss in an oldie goldie like the Back to the Future or Jurassic Park trilogy and I'd be stoked :T
                                  -Chuck

Comment

• Russ L
                                    • Jul 2006

Originally posted by impala454
                                    And of course those movies aren't the end all be all of cinema, I was just thinking of some examples of titles that would get me excited.
                                    It'll be hard to beat the LOTR Trilogy for the best movie of all time. It should be on Blu-Ray but then I'd have to buy the series for a third time...theatre length, extended length, then Blu-Ray
                                    Russ

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2006

Only the two ballets. I have also collected a few operas. Those I can watch more than once. Movies are a one night stand so I only rent them.

Kal
                                      Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Gremal
                                        • Apr 2007

Kal, have you heard the Divertimenti Blu-ray/SACD release?
                                        Di tengah gemuruh industri perjudian online, satu nama terus mencuri perhatian para penggemar slot daring: POLASLOT138. Dikenal sebagai salah satu destinasi utama bagi para pecinta slot online, POLASLOT138 telah muncul sebagai pilihan yang tak terbantahkan untuk pengalaman bermain slot yang memikat dan mengasyikkan. De

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

Huh... hadn't heard of it, but sounds interesting. I think it's cool that some audio-only BD's are coming out now. Fully take advantage of the new lossless audio.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2006

Kal, have you heard the Divertimenti Blu-ray/SACD release?
                                            http://www.dvd4music.com/onlineshop/...l50sabd-1.html
                                            Yup. Lovely stuff but I have not been able to hear the 24/192 PCM yet since the Anthem D2 that I am using at the moment has a 24/96 input limit.

Kal
                                            Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Ovation
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Sep 2004

There are 12 "must haves" (to me) on the list--would have been a fair bit higher but I have over 100 HD DVDs and a number of titles overlap (and I ain't replacing my HD DVDs).

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                • Nov 2004

My problem with Blu is a couple of things, first, still new and still WAY too expensive for what you are getting. I know they "claim" all the extras and the better SQ/PQ is "supposed" to be worth it...but is it really? I'm not saying that I don't love HD, heck, I want the next thing because I still see the limitations in current HD.

Secondly, It's not worth enough to "upgrade" most of my DVD collection (which is at 1K of them)...that's just too much money to spend when I could spend it elsewhere and get more enjoyment for the money (when I already have the movies).

Just because 80% of the movies that I have aren't on Blu, doesn't mean I dislike them anymore than if they were on Blu. Plus a good portion of those really don't need a Blu transfer since they are pre 2000 releases that don't get the real benefit of the nice 1080p or Lossless sound. 2000 is just a general year, not saying specifically that's the year that transfers are worthwhile.

So reguardless, with Blu-Ray players still playing DVDs and upconverting them... you get decent enough quality that it's not worth spending the money for the movie unless it's one you really enjoy.

I also think Blu-Ray could suffer here due to the fact of the environmental impact of making the discs. Especially with the whole environmental movement that seems to be starting... I think we're close to the edge of something else that can store a lot more information (or even stream it to you)...so that could be a hard hit for Blu.
                                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                -Dan

Comment

• Lex
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Apr 2001

Boy, that's a lackluster list mostly. A few of interest, but must buys, not hardly.

I think I got U 571 in HD-DVD, the Hunt for Red October maybe. Not to much there that really gets my motor running. But I'll cast a vote soon...

I been about as happy hunting the local used selection occasionally. Last week, I picked up a few used including Gangs of New York, Juno, Mr and Mrs Smith. All said, about half off new pricing.
                                                  Doug
                                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2001

Yeah, previously viewed are starting to pop up in my area, too. I did break down a bit and will replace standard dvds Batman Begins and The Perfect Storm with Blu, but like Pewter, I have over 1K standard titles and can't afford, nor would I bothber, to replace them. But there are titles, like The Perfect Storm and Batman Begins, and a few more that I feel will benefit from the HD version.
                                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Apr 2001

I would only replace the very best, or cheap lol.

Examples are the used copy of Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I haven't viewed in a while. I'll likely give the standard copy to my daughter who hounds me about free DVDs now and again. She loves special offers, free, lol.

I actually went back and started viewing some older movies, comparing upconversion among players and projectors, plenty viewable.

I did duplicate Gangs of NY, purchased USED for 15 bucks!!! But what an epic tale that is, and such masterful sets involved, a true HD GEM and well worth a rebuy!
                                                      Doug
                                                      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• wettou
                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                        • May 2006

Blu Ray

Originally posted by Lex
                                                        I would only replace the very best, or cheap lol.
                                                        I could not agree more I have over 500 DVDs and wont replace them only a selected scifi few. But thanks to Warner cheaper Blu Ray are coming in September!

So far here is what I got at $15 or less

- the 5th Element (Remastered), Stargate, Evolution, Fantastic Four, Fantastic Four the Silver Surfer, The Transporter 2
                                                        - Dracula (Gary Oldman & Anthony Hopkins)
                                                        - The day after tomorrow
                                                        - Black Hawk down
                                                        - Terminator 2
                                                        - V for Vendeta
                                                        - Cars
                                                        - Robinson Family

Here is what I am waiting for to come out and drop in price

-IronMan
                                                        - Gladiator
                                                        - King Kong
                                                        - The Incredibles
                                                        - Armageddon
                                                        - The Matrix
                                                        - The Lord of the Rings
                                                        - Transformers
                                                        - Dardevil

- Shoot Em Up
                                                        - Hitman
                                                        - 10,000 BC
                                                        - Live Free or Die Hard (the R version)
                                                        - Master and Commander
                                                        - Independence Day
                                                        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Ovation
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by PewterTA
                                                          My problem with Blu is a couple of things, first, still new and still WAY too expensive for what you are getting. I know they "claim" all the extras and the better SQ/PQ is "supposed" to be worth it...but is it really? I'm not saying that I don't love HD, heck, I want the next thing because I still see the limitations in current HD.
                                                          This is a matter of personal choice, but shopping around does get the prices a lot closer together than initially announced MSRPs suggest--the remaining difference in price is more reasonable, though it may not yet be worth it to some.

Secondly, It's not worth enough to "upgrade" most of my DVD collection (which is at 1K of them)...that's just too much money to spend when I could spend it elsewhere and get more enjoyment for the money (when I already have the movies).
                                                          One doesn't need to "upgrade"--I "upgraded" a few titles to HD DVD (largely owing to bargains) but I don't expect to "upgrade" the majority of the several hundred DVDs I own. Certainly not in a short span of time. I don't understand why this is raised as a reason to not go "blu". Even if one restricts one's "blu" purchases to titles not already on one's shelf, that still leaves a lot of opportunities to enjoy HDM.

Just because 80% of the movies that I have aren't on Blu, doesn't mean I dislike them anymore than if they were on Blu. Plus a good portion of those really don't need a Blu transfer since they are pre 2000 releases that don't get the real benefit of the nice 1080p or Lossless sound. 2000 is just a general year, not saying specifically that's the year that transfers are worthwhile.
                                                          Year of origin is irrelevant. Among the best HDMs (HD DVD and/or BD) are The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938 ), Casablanca (1941), The Searchers (1956), Mutiny on the Bounty (1962), Grand Prix (1966) and Blade Runner (1982). And even mono soundtracks benefit from lossless, though not as dramatically as other soundtracks. Clearly not all HDMs are equal and newer sources are less complicated to transfer (less restoration work needed, in most cases) but catalogue titles can be made to look fantastic.

So reguardless, with Blu-Ray players still playing DVDs and upconverting them... you get decent enough quality that it's not worth spending the money for the movie unless it's one you really enjoy.
                                                          This is true. One should only feel compelled to buy a film they enjoy (unless you take one of my online classes and I assign a film to the class--my students' enjoyment is of little consequence :lol: ). But one need not buy BDs to enjoy them.

I also think Blu-Ray could suffer here due to the fact of the environmental impact of making the discs. Especially with the whole environmental movement that seems to be starting... I think we're close to the edge of something else that can store a lot more information (or even stream it to you)...so that could be a hard hit for Blu.
                                                          This MIGHT become an issue eventually, but I remain sceptical. I think convenience (or perceived convenience) will drive such an alternative much more than environmental concerns.

I understand cost concerns regarding getting a player, but less so for movies. When I first got a DVD player, I was a very picky purchaser (owing to high cost DVDs--adjusted for inflation, at least as, if not more, expensive than current BDs) and relied on rentals for quite some time. Even used discs were expensive (I picked up a used copy of Thirteen Days--a film I use in several classes--about six months after it had been released to my local video store and it cost 20$ [sticker is still on the cover]). And it was quite a while before I upgraded more than one or two VHS copies of films I have (I still haven't done more than about 20%, and I suspect a similar ratio for BD "upgrades" will apply).

Everyone is free, of course, to not get into BD (player or discs). I'm just trying to understand the rationale for some of the objections I encounter every once in a while.

Comment

• impala454
                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                            • Oct 2007

Jack Ryan movies tomorrow yay!

looks like Iron Man has been added to the list at Sept 30th.
                                                            -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Wow, that was fast. Cool...
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Gremal
                                                                • Apr 2007

Iron Man is good, a couple of the Jack Ryan movies are good. But if you want to see one of the most powerful films ever made, get The Counterfeiters on Blu-ray August 5.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Oct 2007

Is that the one about the Jewish counterfeiters forced to work for the Nazis? looks like a pretty good one.
                                                                  -Chuck

Comment

• Gremal
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2007

Yah, that's the one. Karl Marcovicz, he guy who plays Sally (king of the counterfeiters) Sorowitsch does an incredible job.

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"