• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Miles Ahead

8/10

Interesting take on a 'biopic' of an intensely interesting person. Has a very free form 'impressionistic' feel to it, not dissimilar to the subject's music. Which largely makes sense, as the inspiration for the film.

Cheadle, as usual, is very good in the lead as Davis.

Would have scored higher but the 'interesting take on a biopic' does have it's negatives as per spoilers:

The film seems to suggest the story we're largely watching is what might be imagined in Davis' head when asked to tell his story in an interview. He starts free form playing in the interview and we see this fictional 'story' he's playing as the majority of the film (with some presumably 'real life' inspired memories/moments from the past sprinkled in).

This largely works and is a smart and creative way to deal with the usual pitfalls of a biopic as long as you're open to something less textbook or straightforward.

Where it fails a bit IMO is that at times it falls in to a sort of Lethal Weapon-esque white/black guy buddy-comedy feel at times. While that is possibly explainable as Davis simply adding a little fun/excitement/humour to his imagined story he's creating in his head (and 'telling'/playing), it detracts a bit from the actual film.

So, interesting concept, I'm just not sure if was executed as well as it could have been.
    Jason
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

had attempted to wrangle the troops (our little group of audio friends) to see this in the theater earlier this year, but life got in the way and our rendezvous never took place.
    yet one of our clan did get to see a premier showing in Columbus Ohio which included an after-screening show at a small, local jazz club that included the drummer from the movie (who is from Columbus) along with the sax player from the band on "The Late Show with Stephen Colbert".

we are planning to all get together some evening soon to watch the DVD.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

It's really good Bill, with that one caveat :T

Sounds like it would have been fun. Too bad no Cheadle though. Now THAT would have been fun! Guy's a PHENOMENAL actor IMO.
      Jason

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

it was Hotel Rwanda that introduced me to him & his notable acting talent.

been a fan ever since.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• oldbob
          • Aug 2016

Wow, I can't believe I missed this one. Wonder if it just breezed right through my local theater or is it still making the rounds?

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"