• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Whiplash" BD review

Whiplash

I spun this on BD yesterday and it's quite a ride! If you compare this music oriented film to "Mr. Holland's Opus" it would be like Mr. Holland on crack.......packin' a pistol! Seriously, if you put horns on J.K. Simmons head, he could easily be the Satan of music in this film! This is a drummers film so Doug, this is for you!

I sing and play guitar and it's taken me years to get where I'm at but if this dude was my music teacher at the beginning, I would have quit right at the stable door! To say that this film is over done is an understatement. It's beyond intense......to the point where blood is spilled on the drum kit ! I for one think that playing music should be fun, pleasant, and filled with inspiration. I for one have NEVER played guitar till my fingers bled! Hurt.......yes.......but never bled!

I can see why J.K Simmons won an Oscar for his efforts in this film. He literally lives the part, and is very unlikable right from the start!

7/10 for a overly intense, over done (Tragic like an over cooked steak!) film. Is it bad? NO! But, it's not recommended for children (Serious profanity abounds!) and should not be seen by anyone with musical tendencies and inspirations! 8O

No issues with the BD presentation. Both the audio and video was perfect........of course! :T
    Dan Madden :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Just watched it. Some sweet music in there. Overall, enjoyed it, :35: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
      Just watched it. Some sweet music in there. Overall, enjoyed it, :35: out of :5:
      Glad you liked it Chris! Yes, there are some good performances in this film. I was a little bothered with the intensity of it and the presumption that faster is better where drums are concerned. I on the whole do not agree with that and think that if you can't play music slow, then you can't play at all in all aspects of music.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Nah.. faster isn't better. It's settling into the GROOVE, regardless of tempo. I watched the extras and listened to the director's track, both of which were interesting and illuminating.

Some of that music was TIGHT. I do miss my days of jamming on the trumpet, including jazz.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
          Nah.. faster isn't better. It's settling into the GROOVE, regardless of tempo. I watched the extras and listened to the director's track, both of which were interesting and illuminating.

Some of that music was TIGHT. I do miss my days of jamming on the trumpet, including jazz.
          I really love horns.......always have, always will !

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"