X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Progressive Guitar-centered Rock Band "Fourth Estate"

Another post here in the Guide reminded me of a CD I have that I've enjoyed for years, but most people would never have heard of. I went to a big concert at the famous Red Rocks ampitheater in Denver, Colorado the summer of 1992 (right before my senior year of high school) that had about 6 excellent bands. I was BLOWN away by one surprise group, though, that I had never heard of. They played instrumental rock music with some excellent guitar, but I was floored by the group playing "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", also known as "Pachebel's Canon". The lead guitarist played the entire song in 1/16th notes, fingers flying all over the guitar. Unbelievable. I bought the album there on the spot.

Side note--that was a very significant time in my life. Probably the best concert I've ever been to, my two good friends and I camped out all night to get the best seats at the concert, which was General Admission. During the concert, one of my friends told me that my other friend had stolen my girlfriend from me behind my back while I had been away at camp for several weeks. I didn't say anything, and drove the back-stabber home, asking him only to help keep me awake, as we had been up for over a day for the concert. He just went straight to sleep in the car, and I dozed off on the drive back, went off the road, and hit a fire hydrant that snapped the front axle and totaled the car. A few days later, I found out that my parents were getting divorced, and I started my senior year of high school right after that. Geez... interesting memories.

Anway, back to the point-- I just searched the 'net and found that the band is still around, with new albums. Their website has some really interesting info, saying that critics have made comparisons to Mark Knopfler, Phil Keaggy, Rush, Kings X, Jimi Hendrix, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, and others. You always have to take someone's information about themselves with a grain of salt, but I do know that I LOVE the one album that I have. That album is called "Finesse and Fury", which apparently has been re-released. The rendition of Pachebel's Canon is called "Joy", the first song. The website is at:

I guess you can buy their CD's online there. I liked their one CD so much, I think I might pick up more to hear more.

One thing that is interesting that they mention on the site is the guitarist's use of "Transperformance Automatic Tuning Guitar, employing the futuristic Digital Tuning System". I guess Joe Perry and Jimmy Page use it too. Not sure what it is, but it sounds cool.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I just clicked on the link from their website to buy "Finesse and Fury", and it has a streaming link where you can sample the song "Joy" that I keep talking about. Click on this link for the stream:

The song really kicks into high gear about one minute into the song.
    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kevin P
      • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
      They played instrumental rock music with some excellent guitar, but I was floored by the group playing "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring", also known as "Pachebel's Canon".
      It was "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" by J.S. Bach, which is a totally different piece than Pachelbel's Canon.
      The lead guitarist played the entire song in 1/16th notes, fingers flying all over the guitar. Unbelievable. I bought the album there on the spot.
      It sounded cool. It reminded me of something Trans-Siberian Orchestra would do.
      Last edited by Chris D; 18 March 2013, 04:40 Monday.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Originally posted by Kevin P
        It was "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring" by J.S. Bach, which is a totally different piece than Pachelbel's Canon.
        Whoops, duh... you're right of course. I don't know why I keep getting those two pieces of music mixed up.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Okay Chris, I'm sold. Finesse & Fury - Remastered and See What I See are on the way. The first minute of Joy made me almost swear that Eric Johnson was playing lead.

I also like that Hapi Skratch Direct website.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I bought 4 more albums, 2 each of Fourth Estate, and then David Beegle's solo albums.

WOW. 8O Really amazing music. It's not mainstream snappy-tunes, so it's not something that I was really hooked by on the first listen. But I've ran each CD through my car's player several times now, and I really, really like the music. Beegle really displays an ability to dominate many guitar music styles present on the albums--"classical", acoustic, progressive instrumental, vocal rock, Latin, Spanish, and even Indian.

Again, highly recommended for guitar lovers. (of which, I'm not even really one)

David, what do you think so far?
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I'm really imoressed. I think I'm going to pick up one of Mr. Beegle's solo albums, too. :T

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

To compare, at the same time I also bought Phil Keaggy's "Acoustic Sketches"... listening to it now.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

How does it compare? Curious minds. . . .

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Well, stylistically, Keaggy's "Acoustic Sketches" is COMPLETELY different than any of the Fourth Estate or Beegle albums. Keaggy's album is virtually all 12-string guitar, with lots of light picking, like you might hear in a quiet coffeeshop somewhere, not actual melodic songs like Beegle's work, which can get a lot heavier as well. Something you'd hear at an actual concert in comparison.

This is not to say that this is all Keaggy does, this particular album is just super light. Very enjoyable. Now comparing TALENT, both Keaggy and Beegle have moments in their work that is absolutely amazing. Wish I could play like that. (well, to start, I wish I could play guitar at all) I'm not even an expert on guitar music, but I enjoy listening to both of them. Wish you could get these two guys and some other greats together for a jam session. Would be awesome.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Dec 2000

Thought I'd resurrect this thread. I just bought another Dave Beegle album, "Beyond the Desert", and this guy continues to amaze me. His discs are fast becoming some of my favorite albums. He's an incredibly prolific guitarist of different styles.

He's on YouTube now, too, on some various clips. Him playing "Maleguena" is particularly inspiring. The second clip is various stuff from a guitar workshop that he gave. Very nice. Third one is Dave Beegle playing music, demonstrating his TransPerformance self-tuning guitar.

From the DVD/CD release 'Acoustic Mayhem' featuring The Dave Beegle Acoustic Band. Available November 21st. DVD mixed in 5.1 surround. Buy DVD/CD combo packa...

I shot this video of David at a guitar workshop with Phil Keaggy. Soiled Dove in Denver, 2001.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I've now bought pretty much every one of his albums, along with those where he's playing with Fourth Estate.

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

Hey, David, one question--could you take a look at the disc you have, for "Finesse and Fury"? Does it say "HDCD" anywhere? Two of the Beegle albums I've picked up are HDCD, and they're real high quality. I'm wondering if it would be worth purchasing "Finesse and Fury" again, since my CD is the original, 15+ year-old mastering.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

Hi Chris, will do. It may take a bit as the CDs are in a jumble right now. I'll se what I can do tonight and tomorrow night - if necessary.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

No worries, and no hurries. David, I was wondering about Eric Johnson, who you referenced. I've actually never heard any of his work. What would you recommend for starters? Perhaps a blind purchase "best of" album or something, if he's that good?
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I guess Finesse and Fury is sold out or something because its not on that site anymore.... Was wanting to check it out...

Comment

• David Meek
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

Chris, I found it! I've looked all over the CD, the case and the flyer and it doesn't have HDCD referenced anywhere on it. Now, this is the "10 Year Commemorative Remastered Edition" of Finesse And Fury. It was issued in 2002 - reference number 70001 - so we have different versions. For what it's worth, I checked my copy of See What I See and it's not HDCD either.

As far as Eric Johnson - another killer Texas guitarist ;x( - goes, I recommend starting with Venus Isle (my favorite), Seven Worlds and then Ah Via Musicom.

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Dougie, you're right--Amazon is out of stock on the remastered version of Finesse and Fury. Interesting, though, the do still have the original for sale.

Cool, David, I'll check out some of Eric Johnson's stuff!
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Eric Johnson, is performing on Directv 101 in HD today!
                                    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

I did buy Eric Johnson's live in Austin CD, and I like it!

I'm currently in Denver on "vacation", and am headed to Red Rocks Ampitheater in a few hours for a music festival. Dave Beegle is the headliner. Can't WAIT to see him again. The last time I saw him was also the last time I was in Red Rocks, which was 16 years ago. (see my 1st post above describing that night, which was rather formative in my youth)
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
                                        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2006

Have good time, Chris.

Let us know know the show was!
                                        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                                        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"