X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Excellent Music DVD for Showing Off Your AV System

All of us get asked to demo our systems at some time. We all like to put on a good show, especially if it’s for someone who really knows their stuff.

The best music DVD that I own for showing off my system is Eric Clapton’s “Sessions For Robert J”. This DVD, which was recorded in 2004, has superb sound and picture quality, and also has great variety to demonstrate all the good features of your system.

The sound demonstrates so well because:
    • It’s recorded in a studio, not in a concert hall. However you watch the musicians playing so it has all the vibrancy and interest of a concert.
    • The production values are top class, unlike a lot of music these days which is mixed or mastered by idiots. This is because Eric Clapton has a lot of clout in the music industry and doesn’t put up with any crap.
    • The DVD comprises 4 separate sessions. The first two sessions are electric with a full band, the third session is acoustic with two guitars and Eric singing, and the last session is Eric on his own playing acoustic guitar and singing. That’s a lot of variety for one DVD.
    • Each session is recorded in a different studio, and each one sounds different – different studio acoustics, different types of microphones, etc each time.
    • Session 2 has such a rich, warm sound. Most people love a warm sound so this session always receives good feedback.
    • Session 3 is perfect for 2-channel playback. Doyle Bramhall II’s guitar comes out of the left speaker, Eric’s guitar comes out of the right speaker, and the vocals come from dead centre. The two acoustic guitars sound so different and so good together. This session has received the most enthusiastic feedback from the people who have heard it.
    • In the two electric sessions with the band the bassist plays a 5-string bass guitar. A 5-string bass can produce notes in the mid-30 Hz range which sounds great through a subwoofer.
    • When the music stops it’s dead silent in the studio. No hum, no crowd noise. That’s nice.
    • You get a choice of 2-channel, Dolby 5.1 and DTS. I listen to the 2-channel track.

The picture demonstrates well because:
    • It’s enhanced definition. You can count the hairs on Eric’s face.
    • It’s well lit because it’s recorded in a studio, not in a dimly lit concert hall.
    • All the film is of the musicians. There are no wasted off-stage shots like so many other music DVDs.
    • The camera stays on each musician for a long time. The shot doesn’t change every two seconds, making you feel seasick like so many other music DVDs.
    • Each of the four studios has quite different lighting, so you get good variety. For example, session 4 is lit by sunlight coming in the windows.
    • The opening shot in session 4 – Eric’s hotel in Santa Monica framed by a deep blue sky – is just magnificent.
    • The atmosphere of the performances is very intimate. You’re in the studio with the musicians.

Best of all the musicianship and the songs on this DVD are absolutely wonderful!

Nigel.
    Attached Files
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Thanks Bigburner. Nice review of the disc!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• ShadowZA
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Muchly appreciated, Bigburner. This sort of stuff is hard to find. :T

Comment

• Briz vegas
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

That disc is still on my "must get" list. Thanks BB
        Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
        Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"