• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

2 more TV Series Spun!

Hey all,

I've spun and/ or are spinning a few more TV series on DVD and here are my thoughts on them!!

Justified- This series is a bit too trailer trash/ Hillbilly/ Roadhouse for me. This thing could easily be an old time western kinda' show. I can see these people on horses and cowboy hats....except with automatic weapons! The folks ain't too smart and there's lots of shootin', back stabbing and treachery !. I watched about 2 discs of series 1 and walked away. 6/10 stars for this one. Just not for my taste.

Kill Zone - This is a 1 box/ 3 disc series about the Iraq war and the gentlemen that fought in it. This series moves VERY slowly and is more about the interactions and personalities of the men in the war than the battles they fight in. If you like character driven stuff you might like this series. This series was good enough for me to watch it complete but be advised that it moves almost in real time and as you can imagine, there's lots of sitting around waiting for orders from the military brass
    ( I dozed off a few times!). When they happen, the battles are well shot and they tend to lean towards the civilian casualties and the civilian cost of this war. Also and interestingly, there are almost no US casualties in this series which I found odd. 7/10 stars for this one.

Dead like me - This series is about a group of people that died but were allowed to stay around on the planet as real people but they have the job of being 'Reapers'......They know when people are going to die and take their souls just before they die and see them off to the afterlife. This series is aimed at a younger audience and is presented as more of a comedy than a drama (No canned laughter though thank god!). The main character is a young 18 year old girl and she does a great acting job here with a running commentary (Like Dexter) on occasion. Some of the laughs in this series are loud (In my case anyway) and genuine. Some of the death scenes here and the way some of these unfortunate people die are just hilarious. I'll give this series 7.5/ 10 for it's great characters and it's originality. PG 13.......my 15 year old daughter could watch this and be entertained.

Although presented in Widescreen and Dolby Digital, I find both the sound and picture in this series quite poor, but watchable nonetheless. I'll give this one 7.5 / 10 for it's laughs and originality.
    Dan Madden :T
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by madmac
    Hey all,

I've spun and/ or are spinning a few more TV series on DVD and here are my thoughts on them!!

Justified- This series is a bit too trailer trash/ Hillbilly/ Roadhouse for me. This thing could easily be an old time western kinda' show. I can see these people on horses and cowboy hats....except with automatic weapons! The folks ain't too smart and there's lots of shootin', back stabbing and treachery !. I watched about 2 discs of series 1 and walked away. 6/10 stars for this one. Just not for my taste.

Kill Zone - This is a 1 box/ 3 disc series about the Iraq war and the gentlemen that fought in it. This series moves VERY slowly and is more about the interactions and personalities of the men in the war than the battles they fight in. If you like character driven stuff you might like this series. This series was good enough for me to watch it complete but be advised that it moves almost in real time and as you can imagine, there's lots of sitting around waiting for orders from the military brass
    ( I dozed off a few times!). When they happen, the battles are well shot and they tend to lean towards the civilian casualties and the civilian cost of this war. Also and interestingly, there are almost no US casualties in this series which I found odd. 7/10 stars for this one.

Dead like me - This series is about a group of people that died but were allowed to stay around on the planet as real people but they have the job of being 'Reapers'......They know when people are going to die and take their souls just before they die and see them off to the afterlife. This series is aimed at a younger audience and is presented as more of a comedy than a drama (No canned laughter though thank god!). The main character is a young 18 year old girl and she does a great acting job here with a running commentary (Like Dexter) on occasion. Some of the laughs in this series are loud (In my case anyway) and genuine. Some of the death scenes here and the way some of these unfortunate people die are just hilarious. I'll give this series 7.5/ 10 for it's great characters and it's originality. PG 13.......my 15 year old daughter could watch this and be entertained.

Although presented in Widescreen and Dolby Digital, I find both the sound and picture in this series quite poor, but watchable nonetheless. I'll give this one 7.5 / 10 for it's laughs and originality.
    Have only watched Justified, of these three (its first two seasons are on Netflix Canada streaming, though the third and later seasons are inexplicably absent, despite having been completed a while ago). i decided to watch it for Timothy Olyphant as I quite enjoyed his presence in Deadwood. It could be set on horses and so on, but I think part of that reflects the reality that, absent technological differences, many stories could be set in various eras and still work (Shakespeare's plays come to mind--I've seen a number set in the 20th century, either on stage or on film, and they work just as well as those set in the times in which the stories take place). That said, Justified is certainly not a candidate for universal appeal, though I quite liked seasons one and two. A friend of mine lent me season three on disc (haven't watched it yet) but warned me it does not live up to the first two seasons (and he liked them as much as I did, if not more). I'll see for myself, but I can understand why it would not be everyone's cup of tea (or whiskey).

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"