• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

A few more TV series reviews!

Hey all,

I am very happy to have been chosen to be a moderator of "DVD Director" and since I do watch quite a bit of stuff on DVD and BD, I think that I can continue to contribute to this great forum and give you lots of stuff to consider watching.

Lately, I've been watching more and more TV series on DVD because....well.......you know why......The movies on DVD have been seriously lacking in anything worth while seeing!!!.......THAT'S WHY!.

So, I've spun a few series lately and here is my take on them:

CASTLE - The best way to describe this series is to simply compare it to "Bones". If you like Bones, you'll like Castle. I burned through 5 seasons of this series so I have a good take on what it's all about. Pretty boy famous crime writer takes a shining to pretty girl detective at the NYPD and decides, through his influences with, and the permission of the mayor, to tag along with her to crime scenes to both, get close to her and to give him some possible stories for his future books. The chemistry is very good between the two and the build up and tension to all of us viewers wanting one of them to JUST TELL THE OTHER HOW THEY FEEL gets a little annoying to say the least.....But entertaining also! That aside, the series is like many others of this genre.......Crime scene.....try to solve it......get into trouble.....solve it in the end....etc.

My access to this series pooped out at season 5 due to the fact that it is still on TV I believe. I may re-visit this when more discs become available but it would be a lie if I didn't tell you that I was starting to get a little tired of the series formula. 7/10 for an entertaining ride. Great for mommies and daddys to watch whilst the children are asleep......and make sure they are because some of the crimes and crime scenes are quite graphic!

Supernatural - Think of this series as "Starsky and hutch" meets "Scooby doo" !!. I'm not kidding! These two very unlikely dudes (They are Pretty boys girls!!) drive around the US in a muscle car chasing ghosts, spirits, and other paranormal phenomenon. Their goal is to destroy them basically. At times, this show is hilarious and at other times, it's down right SPOOKY!! (Just Like Scooby Doo.....but way more graphic!). A lot of effort has gone into this series, both in writing but also in regards to it's special effects. Very well done, well acted, and VERY entertaining!. Once again, make sure the kids are good and asleep before spinning these discs. I'm burning through season 2 now and very much enjoying it. 8/10 stars for an entertaining ride! :T
    Dan Madden :T
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I have been a Castle fan since day one, and let me just say, that's no lie about the graphic crime scenes, and they do the morgue autopsy thing too with a black lady that plays the coroner I guess, it's a little strange that it's in the same building with the police dept, but I guess convenient for them. Maybe she is only the homicide investigative branch, I don't know.

The show generally does repeat quite a bit in terms of general plot lines, yes. But there have been many many different crimes, and a few serious story lines that repeat from season to season, with some nail biting action. I have a few favorites of all time best shows they did, but I won't let any spoilers out. I like this series better than the standard crime cop drama. I think the wealthy author, that writes about Nicky Heat, a detective rather molded after the affore mentioned Kate Becket, the NYPD detective that Richard Castle "shadows" on the show. Strangely enough, there actually IS a Richard Castle, and there are Nicky Heat detective novels, for real. Which came first, the chicken or the egg, well, I am not 100% certain, of course, it's not the guy acting that is actually Richard Castle, he's the actor playing him. But still interesting, i actually saw some of his books on the shelf at Barnes and Noble. Amazon has them too I expect...

I have only disagreed strongly with one thing that happens after so many episodes so far, I don't know if Dan has hit that yet or not. It's hard to say. I expect he's seen all but the last current season, so he probably does know. I can't imagine there is more than 6 seasons. I expect this show will go 8-9 years, possibly 10 before fading. But it's been a good Monday night drama. I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Doug
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Ya that's true Doug!. I saw that there was really a Richard Castle writing books and I wondered if it was really him in the series. Also, there's card games in the episodes with other notable writers like James Patterson and I wondered if they were the real thing (Cameos) on screen. Guess not??.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"