X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

TV shows on DVD

Hey all, it's been awhile since I've posted here because I have been mostly spinning old, and not so old TV series on DVD's. In regards to the the below shows, I have watched the complete series on DVD, spinning through anywhere from 4 to 13 years of the series right through to the series final in a matter of a few weeks!. With each, I'll give you a short review with a rating. One thing that I will say though is, in most cases, these shows were more entertaining than most motion pictures I've seen lately, and when the commercials are eliminated, it is pure and very enjoyable entertainment!. So here goes...........:T

Smallville - This was obviously a very successful series because it went on for many years. I loved this series and the character development and scripting was excellent!. I couldn't get enough of this series and highly recommend it for anyone who is a fan of the Superman franchise. It follows Superman from a young boy into adulthood in the small town of Smallville. I burned through the entire 10+ years of episodes in a matter of a few weeks!. 8/10 for a super ride!

Nurse Jackie - This series did not last very long and I'm not sure why because it was super entertaining!. Once again, super interesting characters and writing. Nurse Jackie is an addict and quite a quirky character and she's immediately likable and fun to watch. Check this one out if you like medical style series with a twist!. 7/10 for this one and sad that it ended so quick.

ER and Grey's anatomy - I've clumped these two together because in form and plot, they are essentially the same. This is excellent drama, excellent character development and of course, excellent writing. 'Grey's' is still on TV currently so I'm not done watching that one when new discs become available. 9/10 stars for both.....LOVE IT!!.

24 - OMG!!!!.......This series is extremely addictive!. Jack Bauer is a CSU special agent that, post 9/11 is assigned to stamp out terrorism. Right from the get go, this series sucks you in and the tension is sometimes too much to bare!. I feel sorry for people that trudged through this on broadcast television with the commercials and having to painfully wait until the next week to watch the next episode!. This was so good, I'm planning to soon re-spin the whole series once again.
    9.5 / 10 for some serious, nail biting entertainment!.

Dexter - Dexter is a serial killer that works with a 'code' of conduct whereby he only will kill other serial killers. This code is easily to follow for him because he works with Miami Metro Police who's job it is to seek out these killers. Dexter, for some convoluted reason, is a very likable guy and the series is spun with Dexter's thoughts in commentary. As the series progresses, things of course, start to get out of hand. Great characters and writing. Be advised that this series is quite violent and will not appeal to all. The series final disappoints somewhat however. 8/10

Boston Legal - This series is sexist, racist and bigoted, and completely outrageous.....and sometimes absolutely hilarious. My favorite part of this Law firm style series are the judges......they're so ridiculous and laughable!!. There's one name that rings out time and again in this series......DENNY CRANE!!.....who is one of the founding fathers of the firm who is mentally unstable to say the least. I got some serious laughs watching this. In the last year of this, I got a little tired of the courtroom drama and Allan Shore's long winded closing speeches but it was all entertaining nonetheless.
    7/10 stars for this outrageous series!.
    Dan Madden :T
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

In January this year I watched the first 3 series of Game of Thrones (30 episodes) in anticipation of series 4 starting. I think it's amazing television with possibly the best sets I have ever seen. Last night I watched episode 7 of series 4. It was up to the usual high standard. No doubt prior to series 5 starting in a year's time I'll watch the first 4 series again.

Game of Thrones should be compulsory viewing for everyone studying political science at university (and medical students too given the number of body parts and internal organs on display).

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Nigel, what's the story line in that series???.

Comment

• P-Dub
        Office Moderator
        • Aug 2000

I have to totally agree on 24! Was trying to go through all the past seasons before the new one started this month but didn't make it. I only made it through 1.75 seasons. I think my wife is on season 4 now.

I made it through 3 seasons of Dexter. So a couple more seasons for me to see.
        Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Originally posted by madmac
          Nigel, what's the story line in that series???.
          Dan, Wikipedia explains it better than I can:

The series, set on the fictional continents of Westeros and Essos at the end of a decade-long summer, interweaves several plot lines. The first follows the members of several noble houses in a civil war for the Iron Throne of the Seven Kingdoms; the second covers the rising threat of the impending winter and the mythical creatures of the North; the third chronicles the attempts of the exiled last scion of the realm's deposed dynasty to reclaim the throne. Through its morally ambiguous characters, the series explores the issues of social hierarchy, religion, loyalty, corruption, civil war, crime, and punishment.

Nigel.

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I am really enjoying Fargo. We're only up to episode 3 here in New Zealand but I will definitely watch the whole series (10 episodes). The story seethes with malice and dark humour. The Coen brothers are the executive producers. Billy Bob Thornton's portrayal of a cool headed and sinister contract killer is really compelling.

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
              I am really enjoying Fargo. We're only up to episode 3 here in New Zealand but I will definitely watch the whole series (10 episodes). The story seethes with malice and dark humour. The Coen brothers are the executive producers. Billy Bob Thornton's portrayal of a cool headed and sinister contract killer is really compelling.

Nigel.
              Hummmm......sounds interesting!!. I'm going to check if my library carries this!!.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"