X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Smashed

I just happened to catch this Indie drama on Starz television. It is a fictional story of a young couple, both of whom are alcoholics, and the disease reaches a point where it undeniably affects their lives. The young woman reaches out for help. The young man is played by Aaron Paul, who plays Jessie Pinkman in "Breaking Bad".

I don't know anyone close to me that is an alcoholic. But even still, I was gripped by the story. It was very real, very visceral, truly about the human condition and showing the inner and outer pains these people encountered in their story, and how everyone around them became affected. The film does not gloss over alcoholism, shrugging it off as unimportant. It explores the social and life problems alcoholics encounter in a very real way, without just going to the "everything sucks" melodramatic standpoint. Other films that have incorporated alcoholism like "When a Man Loves a Woman" just haven't gripped me like this movie.

The acting is very good, the story is compelling, and more than anything the style just drew me into the film and connected me with the characters. Very good film. :4: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Doesn't look like this is available locally. For me, the movie that did a helluva job depicting the misery and destruction that's caused by alcoholism is Days Of Wine And Roses : a terribly sad look at the human condition.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Interesting, George. That one's a classic I've never heard of. Just added to my Netflix queue.
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Something I meant to add is that the film reminded me that we all are messed up in some way. We may put on a good face, and people around us may have no idea what we're dealing with. But we all have our inner struggles that we're dealing with, whether it be alcohol, some other addiction, financial woes, health troubles, relationship or family problems, etc. We usually keep these struggles under control, but sometimes our demons get so big, that they break down our public life too.

Interesting that you brought up Days of Wine and Roses, George. Looking more, I found at least one article that said "Smashed" is actually loosely based on that film. Now I need to see it even more.
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

It's a powerhouse of a film, Chris. The main actors, Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick, do some of the best acting you'll ever see on screen. It's well directed by Blake Edwards, too.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Netflixed it, George. Thought it was pretty interesting. Definitely a different feel than modern films, and thus, not quite as gritty in the rock-bottom despair scenes. But still pretty visceral. I agree that there's some fine acting with Lemmon and Remick, and wow, Remick sure is pretty.

As for Smashed, I would say that the story really is very dissimilar from Wine and Roses. Yes, they both involve severe alcoholism and the struggles in AA to pursue sobriety. They both include a spouse that hinders the quest. But beyond that, they're definitely not the same and both are good works on their own. I think I actually prefer Smashed.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

I'll keep an eye out for Smashed, Chris. Sometimes the local ma and pa video shop will bring in movies if there is enough interest, so I'll start a campaign.
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"