X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahcryky
    • Feb 2006

Neil Young : Heart of Gold

Neil Young says, "I just want to play well, share the stage with my friends, give the best I can." Delivered........ This is more then a concert dvd. It's a very personal, heartfelt performance. I'm not sure if this movie was filmed because of Neil's health at the time... brain aneurysm, but his soul shines through in this film. It showcases his newest album, Prairie Wind in it's entirety with a few of his classics added in to add to the story. He explains in some of the songs about playing Hank Williams guitar which hadn't graced that stage for over 50 years, the recent passing of his father, his daughter growing up, and even his dog, "King." Jonathan Demme did an excellent job with this film where shots are held much longer than normal performance vids adding more emotion to the performance. Sound quality on this dvd is incredible and just Neil playing The Old Laughing Lady in an empty Ryman Auditorium through the credits is the perfect ending. This is a dvd I will watch over and over again. INCREDIBLE!

-jim
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

I'm a big Neil Young fan going WAAAYYYYYYYYYYY back.

I've heard great things about the DVD. Almost ordered it yesterday in fact, but decided to wait until I can also order the Blind Faith DVD to avoid shipping costs (Amazon's over $25 free shipping).

Maybe, I'll have to get it sooner, but it will be MINE in the very near future, one way or another.
    Keith

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Saw a commercial for this last night that caught my attention! Wouldn't mind picking this up myself! :yesnod:
      Jason

Comment

• Danbry39
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Sep 2002

Well, I got to see it today. I really enjoyed it from the interviews, to the tapestry of information Neil gave via his song intro's (especially as regards to his being raised on a chicken farm, his daughter, his father, and most notably Hank Williams guitar), to the great playing and sense of family between him and the other musicians (oh, I didn't know that that voice from the heavens, Emmylou Harris, was in the film!). Great music, both new and old.

I'll also give a huge plus to Demme and his sound/camera crew. The closeups of Neil and the rest made it pretty dang special. It was like you were looking into their minds.

Going to watch the extras now!!!
        Keith

Comment

• ahcryky
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Danbry39
          Well, I got to see it today. I really enjoyed it from the interviews, to the tapestry of information Neil gave via his song intro's (especially as regards to his being raised on a chicken farm, his daughter, his father, and most notably Hank Williams guitar), to the great playing and sense of family between him and the other musicians (oh, I didn't know that that voice from the heavens, Emmylou Harris, was in the film!). Great music, both new and old.

I'll also give a huge plus to Demme and his sound/camera crew. The closeups of Neil and the rest made it pretty dang special. It was like you were looking into their minds.

Going to watch the extras now!!!
          Was I right or what?................ I wouldn't mind hearing some opinions on whether or not anyone thinks this film was made because of his health at the time.

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Don't know the answer to your question, but I do have a suggestion for anyone who hasn't yet seen this film, but I'd guess that that, along with the death of his father, both contributed. Most, if not all, of the film seems to be a reflection on his life.

For those who haven't seen the film yet, I'd highly recommend watching disc two before the concert film. I think it will enhance the viewing of the concert to understand the context of putting the thing together. Trust me. I've never made a suggestion like this before, but seeing all the work that went into making the event come to life will only contribute to your appreciation of the film.

Good recommendation, ahcryky. A big :T. You were right.
            Keith

Comment

• DelRay
              • Jun 2004

Looks like it's a must get for Neil Young fans. Me included. How good is the sound and picture quality on the concert dvd?

Comment

• ahcryky
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by Danbry39
                Don't know the answer to your question, but I do have a suggestion for anyone who hasn't yet seen this film, but I'd guess that that, along with the death of his father, both contributed. Most, if not all, of the film seems to be a reflection on his life.

For those who haven't seen the film yet, I'd highly recommend watching disc two before the concert film. I think it will enhance the viewing of the concert to understand the context of putting the thing together. Trust me. I've never made a suggestion like this before, but seeing all the work that went into making the event come to life will only contribute to your appreciation of the film.

Good recommendation, ahcryky. A big :T. You were right.
                [QUOTE]
                I was bound to get it right once............

Comment

• ahcryky
                  • Feb 2006

Originally posted by DelRay
                  Looks like it's a must get for Neil Young fans. Me included. How good is the sound and picture quality on the concert dvd?
                  Both Excellent, and you don't need to be a Neil Young fan to appreciate this film.

Comment

• philly boy
                    • Jul 2005

I watched disc 2 then the main feature. Great suggestion. Grade: 10 on a 10 scale. Best music video I've seen since The Band's "Last Waltz." Neil opens up his heart and shares it with the audience. I bought this DVD, and it will be played often, not one or two times then the shelf kind. Go buy this. Photography and sound, also a 10.

Comment

• autio
                      • Mar 2005

After reading the reviews here, I purchased the dvd and watched it with some friends over the weekend. All I can say is that it was a wonderful film with great sound and picture quality. It definately lived up to all the above comments and accolades.

Comment

• brendon
                        • Aug 2004

I am hanging out to see this film.
                        I am also a Neil Young fan and Mr Demme directed my favorite concert film of all time Talking Heads "Stop Making Sense".
                        Not released on DVD in Australia yet as it was still on at the cinema last month.I will be waiting for a region 4/PAL version as my region one copy of stop making sense is almost too soft to watch on my projector.
                        I have to agree with Philly Boy that the last waltz is also a great concert film.
                        Brendon

Comment

• classicman
                          • Jul 2006

i already got this on DVD & had since watched disc one three times & disc two once......it is indeed a must-have not only to all Neil Young fans but to those who just like to collect concert DVDs, it is a beautifully filmed concert by award winning director Jonathan Demme & both the video & sound qualities of this release are excellent...... 8)

Comment

• brendon
                            • Aug 2004

I finally caught this on DVD (R4 PAL) last weekend and its lived up to my expectations :T I will buy it as soon as I see it in a shop.
                            Brendon

Comment

• aud19
                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2003

I think I'll pick this up from Costco this week as an early b-day present to myself :T
                              Jason

Comment

• aud19
                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2003

FINALLY watched this yesterday and it was in short AWESOME, AMAZING and touching. The artists and crew did something truly special here and I'm glad to have it part of my collection :T :T
                                Jason

Comment

• gross30
                                  • Jun 2005

Just got to watch it last night. I was impressed. Sound and pic quality was great. I have been a fan for some time, but never seen him live, and after watching this show, I would say it was very enjoyable. And Emmy Lou seems to be looking alright for her age eh !!!

Comment

• Charles
                                    • Jul 2006

I bought it a few weeks ago and watched it twice so far. Looking foward to seeing again.............a MUST HAVE if you like Neil or not. I'm also a big fan since the 70's.

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Watched Hell Freezes Over and a bit of this again last night with a buddy. He was nicely impressed :T
                                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"