X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

World War Z - Review

This came out on DVD recently and I was SO taken by the previews I've seen of this movie, I jumped on the chance to see it!. First off, the preview is actually more engaging than the actual film itself. I'm not saying the movie is bad, but the previews make it seem so much better.

I've seen a lot of zombie movies but this one fails to scare or engage (I liked "Shaun of the dead" better!) First off, the zombies are too computer generated and way too fast. There is very little zombie engagement with 'live' hosts (ie...attacking and eating them!!). There's no scary build up and tension at all. The ending of this film is horrible and incomplete and lacks proper closure. Brad pitt does only an ok job in his main role. The overall pace of this film, like the zombies in it....is too fast and fails to engage. It wasn't all together horrible but it was somewhat of a disappointment.

6/10 stars for this effort
    Dan Madden :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Just watched it on TV. I'd say my thoughts are pretty close to Dan on this one.

Didn't like it all that much. It got better toward the end, raising it by a half star for me, but not enough to salvage it. Lots of inconsistencies I had to suspend. :25: out of :5: Maybe worth a rental if you want to pass an evening.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

A pass or me.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Yeah...looked like a "meh" movie in the previews. Your guys thoughts just confirm that. Thanks for saving me a couple precious hours
        Jason

Comment

• Burke Strickland
          • Sep 2001

World War :Z ... maybe it will be better on BluRay? :scratchhead:

I'm expecting to see a squadron of flying pigs before that happens.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I watched it this evening... well 37 minutes of it to be precise. Then I switched it off because life is too short to waste time on zombie silliness. Usually my pre-viewing research is reliable, but not on this occasion.

Nigel.

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
              I watched it this evening... well 37 minutes of it to be precise. Then I switched it off because life is too short to waste time on zombie silliness. Usually my pre-viewing research is reliable, but not on this occasion.

Nigel.
              Opps!!!.........sorry Nigel....but......I warned you!.

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

Thanks for the confirmation guys. The only zombie movie I really liked was 28 Days Later. In my opinion this type of movie is really hard because there's a fine line between scary and funny, and almost every zombie movie I've seen ends up crossing over into funny way too much.
                -Chuck

Comment

• alebonau
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

I on the other enjoyed it
                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• bigburner
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
                    I on the other enjoyed it
                    You probably took some of that stuff your cat is enjoying!

Nigel.

Comment

• alebonau
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

hehe loved it. by the way there are some quite awesome sections audio wise with the sound track on this thing. the 7.1 hd audio surround track is pretty pulsating all the way through and well used. there is a grenade scene for instance where there amazing bass wave goes through the room. big grin material !

Comment

• madmac
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by bigburner
                        You probably took some of that stuff your cat is enjoying!

Nigel.
                        Hehehe. ....good one nigel!!

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

some other pretty balanced reviews of world war Z

Rotten tomatoes..
                          When former U.N. investigator Gerry Lane (Brad Pitt) and his family get stuck in urban gridlock, he senses that it's no ordinary traffic jam. His suspicions are confirmed when, suddenly, the city erupts into chaos. A lethal virus, spread through a single bite, is turning healthy people into something vicious, unthinking and feral. As the pandemic threatens to consume humanity, Gerry leads a worldwide search to find the source of the infection and, with luck, a way to halt its spread.

"It's uneven and diverges from the source book, but World War Z still brings smart, fast-moving thrills and a solid performance from Brad Pitt to the zombie genre."
                          67% from critics, 73% from audience on the tomato meter !

if looking for reviews on the blu-ray, which is really good in my opinion,

check out highdef digest

3/5 for movie, 4/5 hd video quality and 4.5/5 for hd audio quality which as mentioned is a stunner !

also blu-ray.com
                          World War Z Blu-ray Release Date September 17, 2013. Blu-ray reviews, news, specs, ratings, screenshots. Cheap Blu-ray movies and deals.

Movie 4.0/5
                          Video 4.5/5
                          Audio 5.0/5
                          Extras 2.5/5
                          Overall 4.0/5

also plenty of user ratings and reviews over at imdb, where scored 7.1/10
                          World War Z (2013)
                          116 min - Action | Adventure | Horror - 21 June 2013 (USA)
                          7.1 Your rating: -/10 Ratings: 7.1/10 from 219,961 users Metascore: 63/100
                          Reviews: 796 user | 551 critic | 46 from Metacritic.com

Comment

• madmac
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2010

I saw it on Blu ray and my 6/10 rating at BEST still stands!........sorry......

Comment

• P-Dub
                              Office Moderator
                              • Aug 2000

Wow, one of the more debated films lately.

I liked it. Sure there are some issues, what move doesn't these days. I wonder if watching the BluRay made a difference as this was an unrated version, meaning some extra bits. There is a theatrical version, so I may watch that later to see if makes a difference.

It had been a while since I fired up my HT gear and this movie was pretty impressive with the sound stage. I know I have to re-calibrate my system and my speaker placement is all wrong, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Anyway I may have been influenced by how great everything was sounding!

I think it would be worth a rental. I purchased and I'm still happy with my purchase. I would give it a 7/10.

I thought I would share these videos that I promptly watched after the movie. There are spoilers, but if you don't want to watch the movie these are still fun anyway.

Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"