Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

28 days later....

Zombie rage
    28 Days Later frighteningly scary
    By LIZ BRAUN -- Toronto Sun
    In 28 Days Later, animal-rights activists free some chimps that have been infected with a deadly virus. The virus is a psychological item that infects within seconds and puts its victims into a permanent state of murderous rage. Victims make furious sounds and also tend to spew blood and look like zombies, so it's a gross and noisy sort of situation.

Then, 28 days later, a young man wakes up in hospital where he has been lying in a coma. He walks outside to discover that his city -- London, England -- appears deserted. He knows nothing of the apocalyptic events unleashed by the virus and he wanders around the apparently empty streets. Our hero, Jim, is a bike courier (Cillian Murphy) who will soon encounter a few survivors and a lot of "infected" ghouls.

Just which of those groups is the more dangerous is one of the themes 28 Days Later examines.

As the story unfolds, Jim meets a man and a woman (Noah Huntley and Naomie Harris) who teach him how to survive, as well as a father and daughter team (Brendan Gleeson and Megan Burns) who give him hope. Only when this lot goes to a group of soldiers for protection does it become apparent that 28 Days Later is also a story about war.

28 Days Later is brisk, smart and often truly frightening. The film was shot in digital video -- which gives an appropriate edge and seamy look -- and a certain urgency colours everything in the movie. An unusual and intelligent story is the real draw here, but the performances are likewise better than the norm.

You could look at 28 Days Later as science fiction, as a type of creature feature or even as a particularly dark coming-of-age story -- Jim is a laid-back bike courier at the start and a warrior by the end. Whichever view you take, the film presents plenty of interesting notions about contemporary life and does so with the same energy that the filmmakers put forward on Trainspotting, Shallow Grave and Alien Love Triangle

• Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I wasn't to thrilled about seeing this after watching the trailers but after reading this review it might not be as bad as I first thought.

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

Being a horror/sci-fi/war-movie type of guy, I've been interested in this one since I first saw the trailers at the theater. This'll hop up the priority list after that review - thanks Andrew.
      :T

David - HTGuide flunky
      Our "Theater"
      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Robbie
        • Aug 2000

Now, I'm not a horror/zombie type guy and wouldn't even watch this one as a rental. I did think the plot line was interesting enough. Again I didn't see this one but a friend of mine did. He is a rabbid horror fan (he might own every horror DVD made). He said it didn't live up to the hype. He admitted the zombies were some of the best he'd seen. However he complained there was only about 10 minutes worth of real zombie action. The rest of the movie was 80 minutes of self pity and crying.

He gave it :25:

Robbie

Legal Discliamer: ;lx

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

It's funny, I was watching Resident Evil with the kids and this seems like a direct take off from that ending - well, without Milla Jovovich. :

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

Speaking of endings, a very interesting development has taken place with regard to this film's ending. You know how alternate endings are sometimes included with DVD's, right? Well, I just read that they are adding an alternate ending to the end of the film that's now showing in theaters. The film will end as it has, but then a four minute segment will be added, beginning with the on-screen words, "But, what if..."

Can't remember a film thus being changed mid-stream during its theatrical release like this.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Gee... I don't know if this is what the general theater goer wants. I don't even watch alternate endings on dvd. Like it or not, the intended theaterical ending should suffice. What's next at the cinema ? Running commentaries by the director and actors.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Sep 2002

I'm so shocked George. You mean you wouldn't want Gone With the Wind to end with Rhett telling Scarlett, "Hey, Hon, what's for dinner?"

Keith
                Keith

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"