X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

George A. Romero's Land of the Dead

Stood in the DVD section of the Evil Empire holding this in my hand debating on buying it. I heard such good reviews. Put it back though, and decided to rent.

Glad I did. Terrible makeup, effects, acting, zombies, and casting. It tried it's best to rip off Resident Evil. I finished it all the way through, but wish I hadn't.

There were a few good scenes, but overall a big letdown. This was nowhere close to being "The Best Zombie Film Ever".

:15: out of :5: :roll:
    ~Nick
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

"terrible acting zombies".

BB

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Thanks for the warning, Nick. I just saved myself a rental fee.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Azeke
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2003

Indeed, due to my impetuous purchase when buying Batman Begins, I saw this movie as well and made the purchase. I wish I would have rented it instead, good SQ though.

Regards,

Azeke

Comment

• cinema bob
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Nicholas Mosher
          It tried it's best to rip off Resident Evil.
          ??? i don't get that at all. and just in case you don't know george romero basicly invented the modern zombie film. his credits include the original "night of the living dead", "dawn of the dead" and "day of the dead". the makeup was very much in keeping with three films, the last of which was made in 1985, so if you are comparing the effects to the unathorized remake of dawn of the dead or a modern horror film then yeah it could have been better. however the continuity was maintained.
          the acting could have been better, i thought that the lead zombie really sucked. however the rest of the cast was as should be expected from a low budget horror film.

Comment

• Nick M
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

When comparing it to Resident Evil, I was talking about the band of soldiers with weapons up to wahzoo shooting zombies. I thought alot of the zombies simply looked like they had gray face paint with some fake skin and ketchup blood. Just my humble opinion, but I thought it sucked. The original NOTLD was excellent and really played with fear. This was more along the lines of watching a shoot-em-up video game as guys flew around on dirt bikes with "Running Man" type body armor firing submachine guns. Then they all retreat to a winnebago covered with oddly shaped sheetmetal to fire mortars. Different strokes for different folks. :B
            ~Nick

Comment

• audioqueso
              Super Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

So what would you guys say is the best zombie movie? I've actually only seen two cause my wife doesn't care for horror/scary/gross movies so I don't get a chance to see them much. I've seen Resident Evil, which was pretty cool, and just last month saw Dawn of the Dead, and that was a wicked cool movie. Any recommendations?
              B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Azeke
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2003

Evil Dead 2, is one that immediately comes to mind.

Azeke

Comment

• Claude D D
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by audioqueso
                  So what would you guys say is the best zombie movie? I've actually only seen two cause my wife doesn't care for horror/scary/gross movies so I don't get a chance to see them much. I've seen Resident Evil, which was pretty cool, and just last month saw Dawn of the Dead, and that was a wicked cool movie. Any recommendations?
                  A couple of my fav's are the original 1978 Dawn of the Dead and The Return of the Living Dead. Two classics that mix horror and humor. Also check out Peter Jackson's Dead Alive. :T
                  The all time best Zombie flic is still the original black & white 1968 Night of the Living Dead.

Comment

• Nick M
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Dead Alive was certainly over the top! :rofl:

I also enjoyed the original Night of the Living Dead, but if you're the blockbuster type it might seem corny.

I also enjoyed the unrated edition of "Dawn of the Dead". "Shaun of the Dead" was a funny waste of time too thats worth a rent.

EDIT: HOLY CRAP! Type "Living Dead" into the searchbar at Amazon and then click "DVDs". I can't believe there are that many films/remakes/reissues. I pinged 75! They even have an "Erotic Nights of the Living Dead"... :rofl:
                    ~Nick

Comment

• audioqueso
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Ok, let me be more specific, what 1990+ zombie movies would you guys recommend?

Comment

• RobP
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

28 Days was pretty decent... Would that be considered a Zombie movie???
                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• audioqueso
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Nov 2004

Was it good? I was actually about to buy that movie and my friend that was with me told me it was garbage (he likes those types of movies). Maybe I'll rent it.

Comment

• cinema bob
                            • Apr 2005

why are you limiting your films to post 1990?

Comment

• audioqueso
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Nov 2004

Because the horror movies I don't really know are after 1996.

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"