Ever watched a movie and not had a clue what it was about?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Ever watched a movie and not had a clue what it was about?

I have and it's called "Upstream Color" (2013) by director Shane Carruth.

Possible explanation #1: I'm as thick as pig shit so I never stood a chance.

Possible explanation #2: I worked for 11 hours and then drank 3 large glasses of wine before settling into a relaxing film. I never stood a chance.

Possible explanation #3: It's a case of the emperor's new clothes. Everybody claims that it's wonderful because everybody else claims that it's wonderful and they don't understand it either.

I'll give you a clue what it's about: larvae, worms, pigs, experimentation, alienation, madness.

Explanations welcome.

Nigel.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Heh, heh. I've seen a few of those in my time. Trouble is, because I didn't know what the hell they were about, I can't even recall their titles.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Interesting. Yeah, I've felt like that with several movies. I don't think your explanation #3 is implausible at all. I totally believe that some movies try to be "artistic" by being cosmic, with ill-defined reference to some bigger meaning. A faux attempt at intellectualism. Some people then see that as being "film genius", even if they can't gronk a meaning or purpose. Like "oh, they use big words, and make it sound all metaphorical, so even (or especially) if I don't understand it, it's gotta be smart!"

Based on your thoughts there, I don't want to take time to check this particular film out for myself, though.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Dear Nigel,

I am quite shocked & bemused at your fluster.

Even from just the short description you gave it is ever so apparent & obvious that this film in particular is dealing head on with the metaphysical transformation & subsequent catalyst produced by the cathartic epiphany that results from never having to be held responsible for a single action in one's entire life & then wasting perfectly good resources on putrid drivel that your spoiled rotten friends & financial backers for some bizarre reason, most likely an illicit drug of some sort, decided to lend you to make a POS movie cuz they are even more screwed up than you.

I think that about puts it in perspective….don’t you?
        Last edited by wkhanna; 31 July 2013, 15:30 Wednesday.
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

whoa, dude... I don't have a clue what you just said.

So you must be like wicked smart.
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
            whoa, dude... I don't have a clue what you just said.

So you must be like wicked smart.

You got it......that is me..... wicked smart.........:?? :?? :??
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

I actually want one of you clever chaps to watch it and tell me what it's about. I can wait.

Nigel.

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by bigburner
                I actually want one of you clever chaps to watch it and tell me what it's about. I can wait.

Nigel.
                After reading through some of the reviews (especially on pg 2) at IMBD, I am afraid that I simply am not willing to spend 90 minutes of the limited amount of time I have left in this world to just to tell you……….Duh….ida no????

Maybe the genius (?) (Shane Currath) has gone mad, or, in fact, we are all idiots? oink... oink..
                Last edited by wkhanna; 01 August 2013, 12:13 Thursday.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

This thread is hilarious...
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                    This thread is hilarious...
                    I am not so sure Fellini would think so.....
                    _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

I just checked it out on Rotten Tomatoes. It actually seems quite interesting (but then, I am a big fan of Tree of Life, The Fountain, Pi (not Life of Pi--haven't seen that yet), and other movies the late Roger Ebert used to label "tone poems"). I'll have to check this out sometime.

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

This opening line of a review says a lot:

I attended this film solo (only one other person in the theater)
                        Unless this appears on TV some day, I don't think I'll be paying to check this one out.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

I think films like this reveal the difference between the possibilities of visual presentation on film vs. audience expectations and experiences with film. On the one hand, we have thousands of years of traditional narrative structure in our "cultural DNA". Hero/villain, beginning/middle/end, the 3-5 irreducible story archetypes (man vs. man, man vs. nature, man vs. himself--plus the hero arc and the love story), linear narrative structure and so on. Novels and films usually follow these "rules" and represent the vast majority of what we read/watch. When novels and films step out of this familiar structure, people are forced out of their comfort zones. It's usually mild, so some deviation from tradition is well received--Pulp Fiction's non-linear structure, for example, did not impede its popularity overall (though it drove my wife nuts--she HATES non-linear storytelling).

I haven't seen the film from the OP, but I've seen a number of films like it (based on what I've read about this film). Not all of them were good (stepping "out of the box", in and of itself, is no guarantee of quality). I find myself in a small minority among family and friends when it comes to the degree of enjoyment I derive from such films. I don't want a steady diet of "tone poems"--that would be far too limiting--but I enjoy exploring such filmmaking exercises because they represent (usually) attempts to push the boundaries of what the medium is capable of delivering. I think of it as the equivalent to seeing prototypes at car shows. Even if the prototype itself is not entirely successful, it often inspires others to think in new ways and we do get improvements via that process. Films like this can serve the same purpose.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Aww, that was more than 2 cents, Paul.

Seriously, though, I am a bit like you in that I am often drawn to the unorthodox filmmaker, such as the likes of Terrence Malick. I will see anything he does, and like to revisit his films often. Others I don't take to too easily, but I will give them a watch sometimes just out of curiosity. But a steady diet ? Uh, uh.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

My favorite movies are the ones that make me think, and ask questions, not just check my brain at the door. But movies that take it too far and are pretentiously cosmic, pretending to be intellectual while just not making sense, just piss me off.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                                My favorite movies are the ones that make me think, and ask questions, not just check my brain at the door. But movies that take it too far and are pretentiously cosmic, pretending to be intellectual while just not making sense, just piss me off.
                                Perfectly said!!. I agree wholeheartedly !.
                                Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"