X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

CDP-202 vs CDP-300 (CDP-102)

Lately, I have been deliberating over my two Classe’ CDP players (CDP-202 and CDP-300) and weather to keep one or the other or both. My recent foray into the hi-def video world has added much to this personal impasse. Paramount to my concerns revolves around which CDP I consider to be the most beneficial. It would seem the 202’s strength lies in its audio abilities and the 300’s in its video abilities. But the question is which would be the lesser sacrifice?

DVD performance with the PS3 is merely okay but is seriously lacking in comparison to the 300’s upscaling and high-definition video processing capabilities. Unfortunately, my display is incapable of accepting its 1080p/60 output. Rather it needs a 1080p/24 input for optimal performance which the CDP-300 cannot, nor is planned too, provide. On the other hand, the PS3 has the hardware to support 1080p/24 and DVD video deinterlacing and scaling if a rumored firmware/software is released to unlock its hidden potential.

Again, it is speculative conjecture what Sony will do at this point. Which leads me to wonder what if they don’t add these features or can’t for reasons that go beyond the technical? I would like to avoid making a hasty decision to let go a fantastic DVD player that is the CDP-300 by banking on a rumor. So the question that was recently put before me was how close is the CDP-300 to the CDP-202 in two-channel audio?

Until the PS3 is upgraded, my CDP-300 remains a far and away better DVD player and is several factors more conducive to a quite environment. The PS3 is rather noisy. But given that I am more tolerant of video applications I am willing to overlook the PS3’s compromises provided that the 202 is a far and away better CD player than the 300 is. But what if the 300 approached 90+% of the 202 in two-channel audio? Could I sacrifice the 202 and still own a fantastic DVD player that also doubles as great CD player?

The surprising answer to this question was revealed this weekend when I conducted a close evaluation of the two players. In short I found the CDP-202 and the CDP-300 to be very different. (The CDP-102 which uses the same two-channel audio boards as the CDP-300 should have identical results.)

At this early stage of my evaluation I am unable to conclude weather one player is better than the other or which I preferred as each player is quite dissimilar from the other but I can describe without pause some of their most prominent characteristics.

Listening to the CDP-202 vocal and instrumental imagery had an airy bloom that reverberated deep within the soundscape. Instruments that formed the stage played together as a cohesive whole, none stood out from the crowd as to cry “here I am”. Vocals and overall midband presence zone was laid back and romantic. Treble was unfettered from grain and the bass snappy and articulate.

Listening to the CDP-300 vocals and instruments were cast forward and stood out in an expressive and expansive soundscape. Instruments were delineated and sounded as if they wanted to take center stage. Vocals and overall midband presence zone was forward and energetic. Treble was crisp if a bit overzealous and the bass prominent if a bit overhung.

I ran my evaluation over the course of two days, spending about two to three hours on Saturday and three hours total on Sunday, using a pair of 800D, a pair of CA-M400 and a CP-700. Using two DVD-A copies of Fleetwoodmac’s “Rumors” I was able to queue up both players to precisely the same track and play them back simultaneously and thus facilitate my own self-directed blind A/B test between the two.

I would start by randomly cycling between the two inputs on the CP-700 and without noticing which input I had selected would designated the first player I listened to as A and the other as B. I began with the premise that I would attempt to choose the player that I thought I was listening to after repeatedly reviewing the same track and moving back and forth between the players after about 20-30 minutes of listening. My first pass turned up the 300, the second the 202 and the third the 300. I was quite surprised to pick the 300 so I changed my premise to select the player I thought stood out more. In all three attempts I choose the 300 in near field testing. Puzzled by the results I decided to conduct far field testing and in both cases I again picked the 300. At this point I was so adept at choosing the player I knew to be the 300 that I could do it instantaneously and with 100% accuracy which was dumbfounding because I would have expected the 202 to be less introverted.

Searching for explanation to this madness I decided to neturalze the only discrpency in my setup. The CDP-202 was connected to the CP-700 with a pair XLRs from Kimber and the CDP-300 was connected to the CP-700 with a pair of RCA from CAT. On Sunday I swapped the XLRs for a pair of RCAs and ran the same battery of tests. This time I had a much more difficult time detecting the dissimilarities. The first run I picked the 202, same with the second and almost with the third. I was leaning to the 202 but picked the 300 in the end. Then I picked the 300 and then the 300 again. Once I acclimated myself to the new environment I was building the confidence I had before to detect the 300 but it was less obvious.

What I concluded from this preliminary exercise was the ability to discern the fundamental characteristics of each player. Now knowing each player’s individual personalities I am much better equipped to determine if one is more suitable to my tastes than the other as I continue my evaluation with different artists and genre’s of music. The next step is to evaluate the benefits and the performance of each during long term listening sessions and to provide a bigger brake down on the results. At this stage of testing I noticed the 202 to be more refined and comfortable to listen to but the 300 more stimulating.

Stay tuned.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

Back when I was evaluating CDP's I ran into a similar issue.

I started with Musical fidelity. With each step I took, there was a noticeable difference. First the 3.5, A very nice CDP on its own, but in comparison to the A5, lacked the depth and soundstage. Had I never compared the two, I could have been happy with my ignorance.

From the A5, I stepped up to the Ayre Cx7e. Yet another leap in performance, quality, depth and soundstage as the price grew. At this point, I knew what I wanted to spend, but I also wanted to be open to what was available, and was willing to let my preference be my guide.

I spent quite a bit of time with the Cx7e. I tried to evaluate the differences cables made, as well as the effect those changes had on the music I brought to demo. I then introduced the Cx5e, which by many is touted to be an elite CDP/SACD player.

At this point, each step I took, there is a dramatic difference in performance. The first time we listened to the Cx5e, both the dealer and I were very impressed by the nuances we heard.

We had the 5e and 7e hooked up to 2 different inputs on the Ayre pre and we would switch back and forth very similar to the fashion you did. The difference was not subtle at all. I was very suspect to this, so I had the dealer swap the interconnects. After doing this, we both found the differences to shrink in comparison. They both began to sound very similar in fact, so we took the interconnects that produced the best results and stuck with them, and repeated the a/b comparison.

At this point, subtelty was about all we could find. I would say from the A3.5 to the A5 there was a 50% increase in soundstage and quality. Very much worth the difference in cost. Again, from the A5 to the Cx7e, there was again a 50% difference in quality. But between the 7e and the highly regarded 5e, I found the difference to be maybe only a 5% increase.

There was more "ayre" and another "veil had been lifted" but the the cost to benefit ratio did not match up and justify the cost like the previous tests did. The differences were just too subtle.

Now, enter the CDP-100 vs. the Ayre Cx7e. To sum it up, it would truely come down to preference, as both CDP's were highly likeable, and offered a similar soundstage. The differences lied in what instruments stood out more, and which the listener preferred to have emphasized.

The conclusion at the end of the day was that I preferred the CDP-100. so did the dealer. Supposedly, the very next day, the ayre CDP broke, and the dealer would like me to bring the CDP back for a re-match, but if I did, it would purely be for fun, as I believe the ayre was performing optimally that day.

How does this relate? More directly, I would say in my comparisons between the two Ayre models, and how price does not always mean better, or at least significantly better.

With the CDP-202, you have different DAC's, which you and I have already discussed will come down to a preferrence, but you also have a greater degree of build quality, with no-compromise parts, and an external power supply. It really just depends on whether that is justifiable to you.

On the flip side, I have heard that there are reliability problems with the CDP-300, and if you have one that is functioning solid, should you sell it and decide you want another, you might have some issues with that.

Personally, as a DVD player, I couldn't justify it. Especially with the number of great BD titles on the way. I imagine you would find that the playback of the Oppo to be just as good and at a greater value for upscaling performance. Even Secrets shoot-out thinks so. If, in fact that is your concern. I have not looked into it, but you might also get to take advantage of the 1080p24 with the Oppo. I could not verify it does 24fps, but it will certainly do what the classe will.

You have a sunk cost though, and if you don't need the money, you don't REALLY have to sell either one. But then again, you are depreciating in value, and DVD's days are numbered. They should have made the CDP-300 a true universal with SACD playback...
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
      • Dec 2005

Nice reviews guys. I'm sure many people will benefit from them!!

Comment

• Kobus
        • Aug 2005

Very nice.

James after this, what is your thouhgts of XLR vs RCA.

Kobus

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

The difference was night and day using the XLRs with the CDP-202 and the RCAs with the CDP-300. When the CDP-202 was hooked up with a pair of RCAs, identical to those used on the CDP-300, the comparisons were more like dusk to dawn.

Imagine two identical pictures painted with different shades of the same color (XLR vs RCA). Then imagine one picture with a satin sheen and the other in semi-gloss (RCA vs RCA). That's the image I see between the balanced and single ended connections with the CDP-202 and CDP-300.

Comment

• RebelMan
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

I made a startling new discovery this evening. Continuing my evaluation of the CDP-300, using the RCA connections, I continued to find a slight dynamic disparity between it and the CDP-202, which seemingly lacked rational. Unwilling to believe my ears I broke out my trusty SPL meter to affirm my convictions or brake them. Turns out that my ears don't lie.

I realized that the XLR connections on the CDP-202 are about .75 to 1dB lower than the CDP-300. Repeating the meter tests using the RCA connections on the CDP-202 I discovered about a .25dB delta. This would clearly explain why the CDP-300 "stood out" more during my A/B tests early on. In light of this new discovery I wouldn't be so quick to say this completely changes the landscape between the two players personalities but it could mean that the areas I originally found a little weak with the CDP-202 may no longer apply thus giving it a stronger edge.

This was indeed an eye opener for me and if any lesson should be learned here it would be to always, always, always trust your ears.

To be continued...

Comment

• sikoniko
              Super Senior Member
              • Aug 2003

so it sounds like what you were hearing was the cdp-300 being louder eh?

there is a 3db gain difference between balanced and SE. you'd have to take that into account.
              I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

It would seem that way, yes.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"