moving related speaker damage, any experiences with insurance claims?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blazar
    • Feb 2004

moving related speaker damage, any experiences with insurance claims?

well the movers despite "professional" crating have completely demolished my nautilus 802 paintjobs.

I'm working on filling out a claim and I'm getting my ducks in order with several B&W dealers to write letters stating that these speakers cannot be replaced or repaired and that the suitable replacement would be 802D's.

I'm hoping that this all turns out ok since the craters that the movers work with were morons. Clearly it was negligence on their part.

Anyone have experience with these sorts of claims?
    Blazar!
    (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Not me (fortunately I guess), but best of luck! Did the movers also do the "professional" crating?

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

Yes!! Lots! Who is your mover? Take a look at the paper work. You will be suprised at what the insurance is! My whole family is in the moving business and that is one of the reasons I joined the Corps is I did not want to stay moving people's stuff!

If you did not note on the inventory sheet the value of the item you are in for an up hill battle. UNLESS....... you have a great salesman, or you are on a big company move and they do not want to loose the whole company's business over your speakers.

David has a good point. If they took the time to crate it you are in there! If they padded it or put it in boxes then.....well get back to us about the movers. If it is United or Atlas I can get you some info to help you out.

Good Luck.
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• Blazar
        • Feb 2004

It was United. I noted the value of replacements on the claim form but not of the original speakers anywhere.

It is a corporate move with a department of the state of Texas. I hope this matters to them.

I had maximum replacement coverage of 75,000 with no deductible.

I have no qualms about them replacing my speakers and then taking the old ones, refurbishing them, voiding the warranty, and selling them to the highest bidder. I would be satisfied with this outcome.

All the websites I've read since posting this seem to think that I will be fighting a losing battle and that despite the SEVEN HUNDRED dollars I paid in moving insurance, and the promises of full replacement by the united van lines guy are unlikely to ever come to fruition for a variety of convoluted moving industry reasons, most of which include daily "criminal" actions by most standards of morality that you have no real legal recourse against.

a word of advice: get third party mover's insurance of some form since the standard moving "insurance" is not real insurance and is not bound by any insurance laws. getting money back can be impossible
        Blazar!

Comment

• Uncle Clive
          Former Moderator
          • Jan 2002

Make sure you document every conversation times and dates. Take pictures. Always get stuff in writing. Better yet get representation or at the very least counselling.
          CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• Blazar
            • Feb 2004

Oh I am keeping a running tally of all emails and communications. getting letters from speaker dealers on replacement costs and a whole number of other measures. I'm still bracing for bad news.... it is unlikely they will replace as I ask but I'll keep you guys posted in the next few weeks when I get hit with their claims department hammer.
            Blazar!

Comment

• Snap
              Super Senior Member
              • Feb 2005

Yeah blaze that is ruff. The normal insurance that you pay for is like 35 cents on pound or something like that. It has been a LONG time since I had anything like that happen.

The fastest way to get results. Have your company...who ever is in charge of the moves, call the salesman incharge of your account! That salesman is NOT going to want to loose your big companies account. So you complaining to United....who cares. Your companies rep compaining to the salesman....BIG DEAL. I would let your companies relocation department know what the deal is and get them involved.

I hate to say this but United is one of the best out there. There are much worse!
              The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Blazar
                All the websites I've read since posting this seem to think that I will be fighting a losing battle and that despite the SEVEN HUNDRED dollars I paid in moving insurance,...

a word of advice: get third party mover's insurance of some form since the standard moving "insurance" is not real insurance and is not bound by any insurance laws. getting money back can be impossible
                Did you pay with a credit card? That maybe another direction you can take to claim at least what you spent on the insurance.
                "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• tdiciple
                  • Nov 2005

Blazar,

Any news on what the results are?

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"