X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Pleasantville

Although I had some problems with this movie when I first saw it many years ago, I really liked it. Since then, I've rewatched it several times, and I think I like it more and more every time I do. This movie is chalk full of symbolism, allegory, and meaning, and VERY well done. I won't take the time (or ruin spoilers) by getting into plot details, but it's a wonderful story about the joy of innocence, but a commentary on how stifling and restrictive society can be with role expectations and mores, and the richness that comes with embracing the fullness of human feelings and expressions. An argument for the beauty of the human condition.

If you haven't seen this, I highly recommend it. I ended up buying it on BD for cheap, and after watching it again, I wonder why I didn't do it sooner. While there's some morals I disagree with, the overall premise is laudable, and the movie is wonderfully made. :45: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I have it on dvd and haul it off the shelf and spin it every now and then. Like you, I agree it is " An argument for the beauty of the human condition. " I always feel good after watching it.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I quite liked this film (though not everyone does apparently--link to a discussion I participated in at another forum [if this is against forum policy here, please remove the link]). My user name there is not the same as here, but I think you can figure out who I am pretty quickly.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"