• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Snowpiercer

Snowpiercer (2013)

OK, time for more of my off-the-wall film screening.

The plot: the last surviving humans left on a frozen earth (the result of a grand scientific solution to cure the decimating effects of severe global warming gone V wrong) are sequestered in a single train perpetually traveling the globe with individual social classes divided among its various cars as revolt (again) brews from those forever confined to the impoverished rear steerage section.

As you might imagine, there is some obvious & not so obvious symbolism & metaphor at play here that is bold, intriguing & thoughtful.

The symbolic nature & the fact that this is an Asian conceived & produced film means one is well-advised going into this story with the understanding that this is a fictional world. It is not a documentary. So for those who have difficulty ‘going with the flow’ when things get thick, when reason & answers are not presented in a straightforward manner or when fanciful, whimsical, unlikely or bizarre depictions are presented in the story, you will most likely have issues with this extravaganza.

Yet taken purely at face value only, this might still be considered a decent quasi action/SiFi flick by some.

Writer/director Joon-ho Bong earned my admiration years ago with his film “The Host (2006)”. This is the best ‘monster’ movie I have ever seen. If you are a fan of Godzilla, then see this film & experience the potential such a tail can have when conceived & produced by someone of true genius.

Getting back to Snowpiercer, let us take a look at who else was taking this tale seriously.
    How about some of the film’s cast like Ed Harris, John Hurt, Tilda Swinton, Octavia Spencer & Jamie Bell just to mention ones you might recognize.

Be warned, blood & limbs are in vivid, multiple & simultaneous trajectories during much of the film as is to be expected with such Asian film work.
    Violence is not its raison d'ĂȘtre, but rather used more as metaphor in its reflection of the human condition.

Again, you can go as deep or shallow as you like with this one & still find satisfaction.

If I were teaching, I would be V inclined to use this film to spur learning discussions in a classroom that could range from issues of film making, morality, social science, philosophy, government & many more.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I saw this one a while back and it was pretty interesting.

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by wkhanna
      Snowpiercer (2013)

OK, time for more of my off-the-wall film screening.
      I agree Bill, Snowpiercer is fairly off-the-wall viewing, but so are the three sci-fi films I've watched this week...

Astronaut: The Last Push (2012)

When I was a little boy I wanted to be an astronaut but this isn't what I had in mind.

Space Station 76 (2014)

Not really a sci-fi film at all. It just happens to be set on a space station and by the clothing, hairstyles and equipment the year is 1972.

Errors of the Human Body (2013)

A variation of the film made famous by our old friend Brundell Fly.

All three films were worth watching. Well at least they were better than watching ad-riddled TV programs.

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Watched it. Rather frustrating. Ludicrous idea, that if humanity is wiped out, the refuge any survivors would devise is a speeding, moving train, that circles the entire world. Who built the track? Biggest scope project in human history, over oceans, through mountains, etc. Even if it was built before, how in the world is the track maintained? Undoubtedly, without any maintenance, within the first 1-2 years something would happen and the track would break, warp, or otherwise, so the train would derail. And don't just give me "well, maybe there's an occasional small snowdrift".

Okay... so I suspend that (not small stuff), and watch the film. Some bad acting, silly stuff happening. But what's this? Actual A-list actors that star in this thing? Um... ok. I watch anyway to see where this goes. And then I start picking up on the non-standard (perhaps this is the Korean direction) symbolism that's going on. Is the train just a symbol for human society, hurdling along, with people stuck in various positions on the train, not sure what do other than the small lives they know? Fairly intriguing, and raises some related and side questions of life and the setup of the film.

So I got some value out of it, but because I put in effort and tried. This was not a true "makes you think", symbolism, raises questions movie like those I love the most.

So, I give extra points for some efforts put into it, and original ideas. Although I initially wrote it off pretty early as a B-movie, I reconsidered early on and gave it a chance. Not quite a B-movie, but not great either. :25: out of :5:
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
          • Jan 2006

when i was writing my reviews of Snowpiercer & Boyhood I knew you would not particularly like either one.
          sorry if i wasted your time.
          but i certainly appreciate your interpretations on both flicks.
          _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

No, no, Bill! I would actually say that I'm glad I took the time to watch both of those movies! There definitely are movies that are so bad, that they're a total waste of peoples' time. Then there are movies that I may not like, either because of a personal preference, or just that they didn't resonate with me or whatever, but I can appreciate aspects and intentions of the film, that make them worth watching. Both of those films are good examples--in Boyhood, there's no way I wouldn't have eventually watched ANY movie that the filmmakers took 12 years to film, regardless of subject or content. That's special! It wasn't a great movie for me, but I definitely appreciated it!
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
              ............but I can appreciate aspects and intentions of the film, that make them worth watching.
              cool :T
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"