X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Nov 2005

Beauty IS as Beauty DOES; A Personal View

HI All,
    I originally posted this in the thread concerning 805S dedicated stands in the B&W forum where the logic of buying these perceived expensive stands was being questioned and I was defending the stands and an ideal. But then I thought my views on the issue might have more legs as a separate thread.

I think appearance is very important in fine audio systems. I love the looks of so much hi fi equipment I have seen over the years. Some are down right exotic, other worldly. Others are works of industrial art; sculpture; witness almost all Bang & Olufson (sp?) products, the Nakamichi Dragon, and the current Classe line. Beautiful, IMHO. There are many others.

I am definitely swayed by a products looks. So, here is the question must come up at some point. Is appearance more, or equally, important than sonic performance? CLEARLY, THE ANSWER HAS TO BE NO!! Did I say that loud enough? Are we clear on this point? Good! Consequently, if I have to pay a little more to get both, I'll usually do it.

Honestly, my still new B&W 805S's in black ash on the black dedicated B&W stands truly is ART. Each apart is nice but together they make me smile when I look at them. They also sound good. I do know what good is.

I enjoy, like many others do on this forum, to not only put together a fine sounding audio system but one that is functionally and visually beatiful. But there's much more. The system setting, the equipment racks, the sub's, the lighting, the furnature, the rug's, and more all can serve the individuals personal vision of their liistening/watching experience. Just go through the picture gallery. A lot of people love the beauty of their systems and rooms and are willing to pay for it. I honor them.

For me, having both beauty and high performance is the name of the game.

I make no apologies.

Sparky
  • KeithM
    • Oct 2005

I could care less if my speakers looked like Van gohe or sewer pipes. After all the theater's dark anyways. The only thing I'll pay to do is paint my speakers.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I very much agree about this point, about the home theater aspect of our hobby:

Home theater is all about the EXPERIENCE.

When you sit down in my theater, you're treated not just to flashy pictures and loud sounds. You get immersed in the EXPERIENCE, drawn in by many things that put a smile on your face--the motorized curtains, the theater colors, the plush seats, popcorn and a drink in the cupholders, the tactile transducers in the seating, etc.

The A/V EQUIPMENT (or lack thereof) is very, very much a part of the experience. If, as you're watching a movie or listening to a CD, you're distracted by lights, racks, speakers, etc, then that detracts from the experience. (in the dark or with lights on) I personally have built my theater so that all speakers and subwoofers are hidden behind the screen, in columns, etc. VERY clean and classy look. My equipment is in a side alcove that is closed off by blackout curtains. If I want to show the equipment, it's easily done. If I watch a movie, I just close the curtains, and you're in a clean room without distractions.

Even the presentation of the equipment is planned. It's in a very beautiful Salamander Designs rack with cherry wood... the Parasound Halo equipment is some of the prettiest out there, rackmounted in the middle. And the rack itself is below a window, not blocking the view, so with the curtains open, it shines light into the room and adds to the ambience of the room.

So YES, I do think that the presentation of all these things makes for a better home theater experience. I'd agree about a dedicated music room too, (non-theater) to a lesser degree, but I think it's still true somewhat.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Karma
        ... But there's much more. The system setting, the equipment racks, the sub's, the lighting, the furnature, the rug's, and more all can serve the individuals personal vision of their liistening/watching experience. Just go through the picture gallery. ...

Sparky
        I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Whilst not really having a passion for fashion, what appeals to me mostly are aspects such as comfort, a cosy ambiance, classical-looking styles and appearances which do not date too much over the years, a theatre and audio experience which is family friendly (WAF is accounted for here), here and there a unique item or two of enhancement (Race Car Driver's underseat lighting comes to mind) and most importantly whatever it takes (well, almost) such that the sound is as detailed, dynamic and pure as possible.

Everytime I (and the family) sit down to listen to a music piece or watch a dvd, I feel like an excited kid. To me, that's what it's all about.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Yes, good summation! To capture and perpetuate the innocence of childhood that you had when listening to good music or watching a cool movie as a kid. :T
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by ShadowZA
            I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Whilst not really having a passion for fashion, what appeals to me mostly are aspects such as comfort, a cosy ambiance, classical-looking styles and appearances which do not date too much over the years, a theatre and audio experience which is family friendly (WAF is accounted for here), here and there a unique item or two of enhancement (Race Car Driver's underseat lighting comes to mind) and most importantly whatever it takes (well, almost) such that the sound is as detailed, dynamic and pure as possible.

Everytime I (and the family) sit down to listen to a music piece or watch a dvd, I feel like an excited kid. To me, that's what it's all about.

Couldnt agree more given my lounge room setup, I do think looks are important. I wouldnt have any old cr@p in there. If I had a dedicated room maybe looks might not be so important but I still dont think I'd have any old shite in the room.

With my lounge room need to be comfortable in it and comfortable of whats in it. And thats not just myself but my wife too. Its a lounge room first and anythign else second so something I certainly need to keep in mind.
            "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

Couldn't agree more!!!!!

You gotta chill and set the mood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The whole set up with asthetics and detail to perfection makes the whole experience a thrill to the Host and the guest or your family!!!

Good post!!

Cheers to having some Classe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• Boombox
                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Karma
                ....where the logic of buying these perceived expensive stands was being questioned....

For me, having both beauty and high performance is the name of the game...

Sparky
                I went through a similar battle concerning Dynaudio stands.....which are pretty pricey....though I don't have the cash to get them as yet, I think that they will compliment the looks of my speakers better than any other speaker stand out there....and with that I agree that there is just as much merit in the looks of the equipment as there is in its performance.

I have the Shanling CD-T80.....a very conventional looking player, and my main reason for wanting to upgrade to the SCD-T200C is purely because of the looks of that player.....the blue glow, the red glowing tubes, and the finely brushed aluminium is simply and awesome work of art for which I have not problem splashing out cash for.....

I live in a 1-bedroom university flat, but I have already seperated my hi-fi from my home theater equipment in anticipation of better days ahead......for HT, I would like to pull up something like Chris....nice seats, plush carpets, hidden equipment and speakers, whereas my hi-fi must look the part; it must look "out of ths world".....my HT system surrounds my TV whereas my hi-fi has the equipment to the side and the two stand-mounts with nothing between them........I am often asked why I don't put the cd-player and amp between the speaker, where upon I reply that it will distract me from my holographic soundstage.......

So, I couldn't agree more, my kit must have looks too.......they are WORKS OF ART.....
                Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

All I know is most visitors to my house tell me I have a nice rack.

BB

Comment

• Sim reality
                    • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Brandon B
                    All I know is most visitors to my house tell me I have a nice rack.
                    Maybe I just have a dirty mind, but that statement is too funny in isolation... :

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

Oh no, it was meant to be funny. Guests actually do often say that, but it is usually tongue in cheek. Er, intended humorously.

Comment

• gd
                        • Jan 2003

I'm afraid I can only afford performance.

Aesthetics are absolutely on my list of considerations, but they rank about 17th, 18th.

Meanwhile, I'm looking at a bunch of mismatched black boxes on tabletops... don't look for my home to be published in Architectural Digest anytime soon.
                        greg (gd to you)
                        Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                        production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Oh, and I just bought the latest copy hoping to see your house!
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2004

I would love to have the snazzy furniture/speaker stands/nice wall hangings/etc in my "theatre" room as I do think aesthetics are important. However, budget and small children (while they don't go into the room unsupervised, they do get to watch movies), as well as space issues mean that my room is not "dolled up". I have mismatched CD/DVD storage racks, equipment racks (my "tv stand" is an IKEA coffee table), speaker stands and furniture. I also have, of necessity, my exercise bike and the back of the room is curtained off as a storage area (this actually has a sonic benefit, but it reduces the "theatre" space and diminishes the aesthetics further).

I hope no one is giving people grief for wanting their room to look good or for selecting components with aesthetics as part of the equation. On the other hand, I also hope no one is giving people grief for having (or wanting) to live with a more utilitarian set-up. I'm grateful enough to have a room that is largely dedicated to A/V uses--which is more than a lot of people can say. Someday, I'll get the "matching racks/stands" and nicer chair/sofa. But for now, I'll enjoy sitting in the world's most comfortable chair under 2000$ (the IKEA Poang (sp?) with the optional ottoman--229$ CDN when I bought them) in the centre spot, optimally placed for both sight and sound. When the movie/symphony is on, the rest of the room disappears anyway.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

IKEA!!!

Hehe, i like going to the big one by the Mall of America over here.
                              Lotta neat stuff (and odd/cheap) stuff.

For me, its gotta look as good as it sounds (or at least try! and work with what you have) I totally understand living situations are all different and compromised, so I'm not saying everyone has to have top line gear with matching components in a dedicated pet/child/smoke free home.

But nothing worse then seeing a set of 800s and top of the line Classe gear sitting on a floor with a rats nest of cables run everywhere for all to see. :lol:
                              B&W

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"